Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,246
Newest Member: cabbar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Paper Coffee Filters - bear with me
seedlings
I don't care for paper coffee filters, but I also don't care for grit in the cup (my wife has even less tolerance).

On most mornings, I do a manual pourover into a thermal pump carafe, 2 liters of water, and coarse ground coffee (because it takes 7 minutes or so to brew). Filters are standard Bunn large size. All of the coffee filters through.

Some mornings, I do a 1.5 liter press pot, pour into carafe, then add the rest of the water.

Letting the grounds steep for a set amount of time lends toward a much better flavor than pouring that much water over the top of grounds. But, the disadvantage of press is the grit that can "tart out the middle of my tongue" (or whatever that sensation is).

I have been trying to do a combination of press and pourover. The last two days I have steeped in press pot, then poured 75% into the carafe. THEN I set up the filter to filter the grit out of the last of the press pot. Well, for some reason this clogs the filter and won't flow through. However, the same grind will always flow the water in pourover.

Is there a paper filter that's slightly more porous than a regular BUNN filter?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

allenb
seedlings wrote:

I have been trying to do a combination of press and pourover. The last two days I have steeped in press pot, then poured 75% into the carafe. THEN I set up the filter to filter the grit out of the last of the press pot. Well, for some reason this clogs the filter and won't flow through. However, the same grind will always flow the water in pourover.

Is there a paper filter that's slightly more porous than a regular BUNN filter?

CHAD

During a normal auto or manual pourover brew, a good percentage of the ultra fine particulates end up being entrapped within the bed of grounds and don't end up hitting the paper. The coffee becomes it's own filter to a degree. Without this prefiltering action, the small micron sized fines overwhelm the filter and clog it before all the coffee can make it's way through. This is another reason why the SCAA recommends not doing a stir at any point during a pourover brew. Even if one can achieve a relatively normal brew time when a stir is performed, the fines end up being over extracted as they aren't protected by the bed of coffee and most of the brew water passes over them.

Any filter paper that is coarse enough to allow a fines laden liquid to not clog it, will most likely allow too many to pass through the filter and give you that lovely middle of the tongue grit feel.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

seedlings
I need to find an outright better way to brew 2 liters of coffee.

I take about half of that with me in a thermos to work, and sip on it throughout the day (I work outside, as a technician). The rest my wife works on. Hot in the morning and iced in the afternoon.

It would taste much better brewed in smaller amounts, though more time consuming and less convenient.

CHAD

oldgearhead
Try a Melitta filter it is more porous than most filter paper.
A pour-over commercial coffee brewer with a gold filter will do 2 liters very quickly. Kind of expensive though..

No oil on my beans...

turtle
seedlings wrote:

I need to find an outright better way to brew 2 liters of coffee.

2 liters is a whopping amount of brewed coffee and there are very few brew methods that will produce a drinkable result at that volume.

When I brewed 2 liters I used a commercial air pot brewer. The wife made me sell it as she said drinking 2 liters of coffee a day between 2 people could not be healthy.

I kept her at bay for most of a year but in the end she won out and now I use a 1.2 liter commercial brewer (12 cup CWTF-15 Bunn) and fill a smaller air pot.

If you use a tool designed to brew that much coffee you will be satisfied with your results.

This is the 2 liter air pot brewer I used and I was very happy with the coffee it produced. I used what Bunn called a "heavy throw weight" basket for the last few months. Pic is of the brewer with the standard basket

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/bunn/airpot1_zps8f709bpe.jpg

Heavy throw weight basket is on the right. Standard throw weight basket on the left. They use different sized filters but the filter paper is the same material. Bunn makes a very nice filter paper. Stick with OEM Bunn filters for the best performance and taste (steer clear of "Fits Bunn" filters)

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/bunn/P1090470.jpg

My current "human sized" home brewer with the heavy throw weight basket on it.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/bunn/bunn_hd_basket_on_zps7539e8b5.jpg
Edited by turtle on 08/13/2016 2:48 AM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

seedlings
Good comments turtle. 2 liters is the starting amount of water before brewing, leaving something like 60oz brewed. I take half of that with me and sip on it through the day. Most days I don't drink it all. Maybe it's too much, but I don't have any other vices :) and also drink lots of water. No sodas, alcohol, energy drinks, etc.

This morning I returned to the press. After brewing, if I let it sit a few minutes, then discard the first bit with most of the grit. I'll be returning to this method.

At church we use two Avantco brewers, similar to the Bunn. At $160, it's a very good bargain, and brews well.

I like to play around with brew temp, depending on the coffee roast, so the machines have limitations.

CHAD

Jump to Forum: