Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

Users Online
Guests Online: 8

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Any fruit bombs current crop??
seedlings
I have been nice and steady on the air roaster for years now. The last year or so haven't seem to run across any notably fruity jammy offerings... really since about 2013. I'm feeling like the global coffee market has been depressed overall, after a huge resurgence 2007-2010.

Most of my purchases lately have been $5/lb Theta Ridge, Ebay, and Sweet Marias. Granted that i have been on the hunt for syrupy body and long sweet finish - with moderate success. Bali, Rwanda, Brazils, El Salvador, Burundi, Sumatra, Guatemala... Lately the Ethiopians haven't caught my eye.

So, what's jammy and fruity current crop?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ginny
Hi Chad:

I would love to find som real jammy one's but alas not many these days. I do keep a close eye on Sweet Maria's for them and have had luck with the ones that have stone fruit hints...

let me know if you find any.

nice to see you,

ginny

roar

seedlings
ginny wrote:

Hi Chad:

I would love to find som real jammy one's but alas not many these days. I do keep a close eye on Sweet Maria's for them and have had luck with the ones that have stone fruit hints...

let me know if you find any.

nice to see you,

ginny

roar

Thanks Gin. Agree there hasn't been much spectacular floating around.

I called Theta Ridge and got the Brazil Daterra that he recommended:
http://shop.theta...ull-bloom/

"Exotic flavors of stone fruits, blueberry and plum make for a succulent juicy mouthfeel reminiscent of a fine wine. Full bodied with a clean caramel-fruity finish that smoothly rolls over the palate."

IF that's a reasonable description, and he said they were blown away at tastings, then should be OK.

CHAD

CharcoalRoaster
I've never ordered from Theta Ridge before. Chad or Ginny do you (or anyne else for that matter) have an opinion on bean quality?

oldgearhead
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

I've never ordered from Theta Ridge before. Chad or Ginny do you (or anyne else for that matter) have an opinion on bean quality?

Theta Ridge Kenya is pretty good but because I have not been buying from them recently (Happy Mug shipping is more reasonable for small amounts). Theta Ridge has been very good in the past.

As for 'fruty' you might try to find some El Salvadore black-honey..
No oil on my beans...

seedlings
CharcoalRoaster wrote:

I have ordered 4x this year, and thought the coffee is just OK. But, I've also ordered from Sweet Marias and eBay and Burman and a few others, and still thought the coffee was just OK. Maybe it's my palate, but nothing really pops of late. That being said, I'm also not buying expensive beans.

CHAD

ginny
have had several outstanding beans from SM this year but sadly as I did not get a 5 pounder I missed before they were all gone. gotta get a 5 instead of a two...

and your palate Chad has tons-to-do with it...

I still remember he screaming blueberry from 2004/5 from SM.

not sure I will ever experience that again. had a stone fruit African earlier this year that tasted like I had an apricot in my mouth. oh my, oh my simply wonderful with a creamy finish...

ah the joys of roasting and having the god shot of fruit!!

ginny

roar

walt_in_hawaii
Just got a Kenyan from SM yesterday, it was rated as a 92 or 93? dying to try it out but too busy to roast when I got home last night...

So this is my dilemma, I often get home at night and its getting kinda late, by the time I manage to kill something for dinner and wolf it down, the evening is a little long in the tooth. If I cook up some nice beans, I'll be up a looooooooong time and if the next day is a working day, I'll be dragging myself into work. So I don't mind cooking beans Friday nights, but weeknights is sorta contraindicated... but my curiosity is kicking me on this batch of Kenyan! maybe a teensy cup??

walt_in_hawaii
OK, its Kenyan Nyeri Rukira AA... a bit pricey in small batches, but I love fruitbombs and this one is supposed to be really sweet... can't ....resist..... argghh

ginny
got some earlier and I hope it has the fruit bomb...

ginny

walt_in_hawaii
Ginny, this year's crop? do you remember your drop temp? I was thinking of experimenting really cinnamon-light, like 421F ish but on prior roasts (Ethiopians mostly) others have told me there is just too much objectionable grassiness. I must be a cow, cuz I don't find it that objectionable.

aloha,
walt

ginny
I ordered a 5 pounder and hope if I love it, it will be in stock. yes, this year's crop.

I will try all levels of roasting from city to full city plus, resting one to 10 days depending on how I like the cup.

some days it a real crap shoot...

ginny

rockon

walt_in_hawaii
ginny wrote:

I still remember the screaming blueberry from 2004/5 from SM.

roar

OK, I'll bite. What was the screaming blueberry?! do you remember the farm or region name? I've just had some Sidamo that I consider to be a really, really MAJOR blueberry screamer, I just love it! ...but its hard to hit it just right, if you are just a couple degrees overdone it goes away quickly :( Also, the blueberries are only major immediately post roast, they are still there a couple days later but much more muted and not clawing your face off anymore. (sorry, watching too much Walking Dead)

....or maybe I don't have enough development time, that could be a possibility since the dump temp is so low; I'm still trying to pin it down more. Gettin' there slow (I only got one speed, so sue me).

walt
Edited by ginny on 09/28/2016 1:08 AM

ginny
Walt,

it was a Harrar and it had so much blueberry, it was fabulous.

ginny

walt_in_hawaii
Thanks, Ginny, I've never had a Harrar but have been watching for them... will keep it in mind.

I tried 110g roast of the Kenyan last night... kept it very light, drop temp was 422F although the color looked to be fairly dark for such a light roast. From the color you'd think it was just shy of 2C... very dark for the temp. The beans are largish, not like the tiny and round ethiopians I'm used to.

Roast was very light, but there was no grassiness; sadly, although there was a background of citrus, there were no up front fruity flavors :(... the only thing I can say to recommend it is that it was very sweet and clean... but not what I was looking for. Awwwww...

seedlings
OK, I mentioned in the other thread that I found this Ethiopia Sidamo Guji Shakisso from http://www.onlyco...frica.html. I've done 3 batches, and one of them was perfect (430F, and I wrote roasting notes down), berry/blueberry with lots of floral. One batch I tried just a bit lighter roast (425), and another batch just a bit longer roast (433F). Neither of those are as good as the first one. Affordable too. You're buying from a guy in his california basement, so ... packed in a garbage bag, inside a usps box.

CHAD

Jump to Forum: