bullet2.gif Last check: 10/23/2017 00:45
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rocquette Roaster Build
Koffee Kosmo
I am looking forward to this build as the seed was sown by me in general back and forth emails

Bring it on

KK
My web site > koffeekosmo.com.au I home roast and I like it :P
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: BNZ MD74 Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

koffeekosmo.com.au
allenb
I would like to acknowledge all of the great contributors here at HRO in the mix of "seed sowers" for the many creative and excellent roaster builds we've been a part of over the years.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

galumay
Well its taken a couple of months, but the 'skeleton' of the Rocquette has come home from the fab shop and is now ready for the finishing details and then testing!
galumay attached the following image:
rocquette.jpg

Izzo Pompeii l HG- One l Caravel l KKTO

greencardigan
galumay wrote:
My speed controller works fine with the fan, pretty excited about getting the fabrication part of the project underway.

What speed controller did you end up using?

Nice build. A gas powered 5kg air roaster has always been bouncing around the back of my brain.

galumay
greencardigan wrote:

What speed controller did you end up using?

Nice build. A gas powered 5kg air roaster has always been bouncing around the back of my brain.

I got one off Ebay that seemed rather over rated for the task, it seems to work fine in dry runs with no load!

This is the same thing, http://www.ebay.c...Swk1JWd8W3

galumay
Well after 9 months 'gestation' the Rocquette is just about ready to launch, cold trials today!

click to see video

jkoll42
Not sure how I missed this thread last year but that's an awesome looking build! Pictures, videos, don't leave us hanging!
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Koffee Kosmo
Nice agitation in the video
Next test is with heat

Keep us updated

KK
Bezzera Strega: BNZ MD74 Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

koffeekosmo.com.au
galumay
Here is the very first batch roasted on the Rocquette, a Nicaraguan bean. (a couple of scorched beans which were the roasted beans i used as indicator beans in the cold trials, i missed a few when i got them out!)
galumay attached the following image:
batch1.jpeg

Koffee Kosmo
Looking Good for a trial roast
Was that a full 2.5 KG batch

KK

koffeekosmo.com.au
galumay
Yes KK, I have only roasted 2.5kg batches so far. I went a bit light for my taste with the initial blend, temp offset is about 10° different to the bean temp thermocouple on the KKTO and I was more worried about over roasting than under roasting!

I seem to have a handle on it now, hearing the cracks and getting the roast depth i want.

There are a few things to fix, it needs a proper loading hopper, that is in the works, it needs a better dump system, I think I will modify so its a slide gate too, and I suspect the burner ended up to high in the burner chamber so I may have to add an extra spacing spool in.

Its not easy to control the temp ramping at the moment, particularly at the end of the roast so I am hoping the spacing may assist that.

Still, I am knocking out 2.5kg in under 15m which is close to a 4x efficiency gain, and I seem to have managed to maintain the flavour profile.

PhilH
Nice job !

This has similarities to my build so I'm very interested in seeing your approach
to many of the same challenges
- noise dampening VC low enough to hear 1C
- temperature and heat control
- burner mounting/ignition
- loading, unloading, chaff
- cooling
- neighbours ?? ThumbsUp

looking forward to seeing more photos and the next video.

rgds Phil
Dalla Corte Mini, Compak K10F, 1.2kg FB LPG/PID FB, 5kg FB LPG/PID

galumay
Phil,

Further to our discussion via email, the VC i have mounted inside an old esky (or chully bun) - it is quiet enough to hear first crack, in fact the noise that makes it harder to hear is the noise the beans make as they rattle against the pyrex glass tube!

The chaff collector made out of an old troopy air cleaner works, but I will make some mods down the track so it automatically empties as you roast - currently I have to manually dump the chaff when finished roasting.

Cooling I will detail later, it uses a gold panning seive mouted in a box with a 100cfm fan blowing up through the beans. I was going to agitate but found it cools in about 3.5 minutes so probably not necessary.

Neighbors downwind are one of my customers!

I will make a video of the whole process of a roast when I get my act together!

galumay
Another pretty crappy video, I find its pretty busy 'driving' the roaster at this stage and I havent got a lot of good footage, but this gives a bit of an idea.

I am roasting about 30kg per week with it, but there are still a number of refinements and improvements to be made before I would consider it 'finished'!

click to see video

Koffee Kosmo
Pumping the kilos out @ 30 kg per week and probably growing

KK

koffeekosmo.com.au
galumay
Not much to report, but 5 months down the track and I am still roasting around 30kg per week, the Roquette has performed extremely consistently and is a pleasure to use. Still some finishing touches I would like to make, but because it does the job perfectly well I havent got round to them yet!

Koffee Kosmo
galumay wrote:

Not much to report, but 5 months down the track and I am still roasting around 30kg per week, the Roquette has performed extremely consistently and is a pleasure to use. Still some finishing touches I would like to make, but because it does the job perfectly well I havent got round to them yet!

Roasting - that’s in between his many fishing trips in the Northern Territory, that I sometimes wish I could go and catch some big ones

Roaster sounds like it’s a workhorse

KK

koffeekosmo.com.au
Jump to Forum: