bullet2.gif Oreck XL blower and ...
Hottest Threads
bullet2.gif Building a drum r... [146]
bullet2.gif Bobby M15's drum [76]
bullet2.gif Baby George Forem... [53]
bullet2.gif 500g (hopefully) ... [34]
bullet2.gif Big Price Drop on... [29]
Donate to HRO
Please enter your site username (if you have one) and your email address (required) to be sent with this donation for tracking and contact purposes.

Site Username
If you don't have a site username, just enter "Guest"

eMail Address **REQUIRED**

Users Online
bullet2.gif Guests Online: 3

bullet2.gif Members Online: 0

bullet2.gif Total Members: 5,033
bullet2.gif Newest Member: mraphael
BotSlap Panel
bullet2.gif Last check: 09/24/2017 06:49
bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6141
View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rocquette Roaster Build
galumay
Well after many years faithful service and hundreds of Kilos roasted, its time to upgrade from the KKTO. I simply cant keep up with the increasing demand for my coffee.

I looked around at commercial machines in the 3-5KG range but its a massive outlay and after discussions with Paul from KKTO I decided to make a 2.3kg fluid bed roaster along the lines of RoasterRob's NZ designs that have featured in threads here.

Mine will be mild steel rather than stainless, it features a Duran Glass roasting chamber - 500mm by 150mm and will be fired by a Seivet Pro 86 Torch Kit which has the correct burner for this size roaster.

I am adding a chaff collector as I dont want it just spewing out the vent, I pulled an old aircleaner box out of a Toyota Landcruiser which should do the job perfectly.

I have sourced a 4" 100cfm fan, meant to be nice and quiet, a German Blauberg Turbo fan, about 36db so it should enable me to still hear the cracks.

It will pull air through the bean cooler and then blow up past the burner to fluidise the beans. I will make it with a slide gate to dump the beans.

I am also constructing a feed hopper to go on the side of the steel section above the roasting chamber with a slide gate to load the beans.

Will provide pictures as the build progresses.

Total cost of the build should come in under $1000 aussie - which is about $3.46 US

JackH
This looks like a great project! Please post your progress when you can.

I think $1000 AUD dollars = about $750 US ?
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

galumay
Yes Jack, your currency conversion is correct! My little joke.

JackH
Sorry I missed that.....Grin
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
I have sourced a 4" 100cfm fan, meant to be nice and quiet, a German Blauberg Turbo fan, about 36db so it should enable me to still hear the cracks

In looking at their website, the 4" fan tops out at a static pressure of around 120 pascals (< .5" H2O). This will not lift beans!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

galumay
allenb wrote:

In looking at their website, the 4" fan tops out at a static pressure of around 120 pascals (< .5" H2O). This will not lift beans!

Allen

Thanks Allen, in all the hundereds of posts in the dozens of threads on fluid bed roasters, thats the first metion I have seen of static pressure ratings on fans. I guess most have just used vacuum motors that inherently have enough lift.

My quest for quietness has mislead me I suspect!

Does anyone have a minumum number for static pressure, and if I go the vacuum motor path is there any disadvantage in either thru flow or bypass?
Izzo Pompeii l HG- One l Caravel l KKTO

allenb
I'm going to have to defer this to Jetroaster and oldgearhead. Stay tuned

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

yello
allenb wrote:

I have sourced a 4" 100cfm fan, meant to be nice and quiet, a German Blauberg Turbo fan, about 36db so it should enable me to still hear the cracks

Allen

I sympathize with the desire for less noise. I would probably put a vac motor in a heavy MDF 20mm housing, with additional noise damming sheets inside. The motor then hanging on soft rubber to isolate it from the rest of the housing. The motor should self cool through the airstream, but an additional thermo-sensor inside that housing should give more peace of mind.

This should suppress some of the motor noise.
Just learning the basics with a Dieckmann Röstmeister

galumay
Picked one of these up, will deal with the noise in the build!

http://www.allied...700b9a.pdf

Koffee Kosmo
Galumay and I have been talking by email about possible options for his expanding coffee roasting business
So we agreed that a fluid bed roaster would fit the bill

Let the build begin

KK
My web site > koffeekosmo.com.au I home roast and I like it :P
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: BNZ MD74 Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

koffeekosmo.com.au
galumay
There is no way I would have considered home building a roaster on this scale were it not for KK's support & encouragement!

He is always happy to help and inform and is endlessly patient with my questioning.

Of course HR deserves a mention too, pouring over the hundreds of posts on FB roasters here has given me much more confidence to take the project on.
x2

oldgearhead
Back to the question of flow-thru vs, bypass vac blower.I have used a two-stage flow-thru model for 5 years. It has worked very well, even though it's inlet temperature is 65C. However, I did have to cross-drill the manifold between the blower and heater to keep the blower speed high enough to prevent self-heating. Also I cool in the roast chamber so the extra flow from a two-stage is needed for 500 gram loads...
No oil on my beans...

galumay
Thanks OGH, I bit the bullet and went for overkill, 183mm diameter, 2 stage tangential bypass rated at 1600W. Will probably blow the beans straight into the chaff collector!

oldgearhead
galumay wrote:

Thanks OGH, I bit the bullet and went for overkill, 183mm diameter, 2 stage tangential bypass rated at 1600W. Will probably blow the beans straight into the chaff collector!

You will probably need a speed control with that blower..
No oil on my beans...

galumay
oldgearhead wrote:
You will probably need a speed control with that blower..

Yep, wanted one for profiling anyway so have what I hope will be a suitable one coming.

galumay
No real news, I have all the components now, just waiting for my tame boilemaker to return from leave and then the actual construction will start!

My speed controller works fine with the fan, pretty excited about getting the fabrication part of the project underway.

seedlings
In theory, you could employ PVC to place the motor some distance away from the burner and roast chamber. Thee are only 2 things that reduce noise: mass and distance. If you build a chamber for the motor, make the walls very thick and dense. Still, most of your noise will come from the intake. And, of course, you can't block that off with a heavy panel. So, distance is the way to keep quiet.

Looking forward to your build!!

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

galumay
Bit of a lack of photos at this stage so here is one to keep you going!

- a picture of my new 450mm sieve for the bean cooler, I realised I needed a bigger capacity for the Rocquette and some 'back of the envelope' calculations of cylindrical volume suggested the 400mm diameter ones wouldnt be big enough, took a bit to find a 450mm one but this looks very nicely made and should suit the task perfectly.
galumay attached the following image:
sievesmall.jpg

Edited by galumay on 08/17/2016 03:19

galumay
Just a quick update, progress is slow but steady. I have a mate fabricating all the sections, flanges etc in quiet times at his workplace. Things should come together pretty quickly once he gets all of it done as I have all the other parts required.

galumay
The basic fabrication is now basically complete, should get the Rocquette home in the next couple of weeks for final assembly and then testing! Photos will obviously follow when it arrives!

Jump to Forum: