Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

koriglman
10/13/2019 6:09 PM
Male Guide Reviews Some of the common supplements used to assist you lose weight are: Hoodia can be an herbal supplement that is very popular in programs designed to help you lose excess fat. It is em

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

allenb
10/08/2019 11:29 AM
Hi RAZ. Please post your 18-25kg build question in either the drum or fluidbed build forums and we'll all try to answer.

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:43 AM
Quien me pude ayudar por favor, con el diseƱo para construir un tostador que funcione ya sea con Gas, electricidad o flujo de aire caliente, de unos (18 o 25) Kg. estoy en Venezuela

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:41 AM
Saludos a todos

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,179
Newest Member: koriglman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe Lifespan
mattadam
Hi everyone,

Our roaster has faithfully toasted delicious beans 2 or 3 times a week for 8 years. At the end of the last roast, I noticed that the GC drum was struggling to rotate at a specific point in rotation, with a noise indicating that the drum motor was working a bit harder. After a few rotations like this the drum locked completely and the machine went into cooldown mode with an E3 error. Uh oh!

I disassembled the machine (side-note: who else thinks the repairability of these things is fantastic?) and noticed that all of the screws on the right-damper assembly (this: http://genecafeusa.com/collections/gene-cafe-parts/products/cbr-101-right-damper-assembly-in) were loose. The loose screws stuck out from the assembly and prevented the drum from rotating (see picture below). I tightened them up and gave it another go, and at the end of the next roast the same thing happened. I suppose the threading on the assembly is stripped.

A new assembly is $25, but I thought I'd ask your highly-educated opinions: How long have you guys managed to keep one running for? I take good care of it, and replaced the heater element and fan a year and a half ago, but the machine is definitely aging (roasts are taking somewhat longer, plastic is getting brittle with heat exposure, general grime buildup that is getting harder to clean, etc). Should I dump this one and get a new one, or repair the part and hope for the best?

Thanks everyone,
Matt
mattadam attached the following image:
img_1285_1.jpg

ginny
well, I would guess that depends on if you have tried to make those screws stay tight, I think lock tight has a high heat sticky stuff that may hold those screws, maybe a tad bigger screw here and there...

the assembly seems priced right so I would most likely see if I can fix it you may be able to part it out if it does not work correctly to get some of the 25 back...

the big question is do you want a new roaster as I know many folks who will find any excuse to buy up...

ginny

Roflmao

Jump to Forum: