Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,203
Newest Member: Dave Tee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My Experience with the Kaldi Wide Coffee Roaster
JoseP
Hey DoubleK,

If you check out my old set up a few posts back, you'll see my remedy for accurate temp reading. I got some 3mm copper tubing and slid a TC through it so that the tip was exposed(crimp the end to keep it in place but make sure the metals do not touch). Wrapping the tubing around the handle was a PITA, but the copper bends easy. A tip for getting it right first go is to mark where you want to bend the tubing.

snwcmpr
Optional tubing is high temp silicone tubing.
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

restewax
Hiya,

Here is my review of the smaller Kaldi on Amazon:

https://www.amazo...B00SM2NVB8

I bought the smaller Kaldi back in March/April 2016. I too had only been able to find a video on you tube of a person burning the hell out of his coffee over a butane camping stove. Way to hot I thought. I do actually have one of those butane stoves but I have never even tried it for coffee. The Kaldi IS built like a tank and my only concern is how long the bearings that the drum rests on will last. They should be the ONLY consumable part on this machine.

The only thing I would add/dispute to this thread, is that at this point in my life (started with hot air popcorn popper in '95 through to Gene and now Kaldi), I am into a slower roast. 350 gms (yes 350 gms in a smaller machine. . . I leave the "funnel in the machine during roast) @ 24-25 min-ish. I go to just at second crack for every coffee I have put through it. This brings me to just a few beans showing a touch of oil. I am only doing espresso so that suits me just fine. I am drinking single estates not "blends".

I am predominantly (other is ECM Giotto) using an Elektra Semi which I have just rebuilt to be 240 VAC from 120 VAC. I am pouring 16.5 gms(yes I do weigh to the tenth of a gram)/25-30 sec/1.5-1.7- ounce (approx. 52gms) glasses of Guinness that suit me to a tee.

Anyway, I warm the Kaldi, for five minutes while motor is on over the largest burner (on my stove) set to the lowest flame setting (repeatable and I have never changed that in a year of roasting). I have a standard LPG gas stove that sits under my hood extractor that sends any smells/slight smoke to the outside world. My partner is not terrible fond of roasting day. . . but loves her coffee
I use a vacuum cleaner to suck up chaff so that when I empty out the Kaldi the beans are virtually chaff free. BTW, the temperature probe is working wonderfully as a dedicated refrigerator probe sitting on the top shelf. This really is an auditory/visual machine.

After a year. . . I would never go back to an electric forced air system unless someone gave me a Gene. The Kaldi is such a liberating departure from trying to micromanage a roast. . . I would probably not even use a free Gene if I had one.
Edited by JackH on 03/28/2017 11:04 AM

renatoa
You confused me with these assertions... actually both Gene and Kaldi pump heat into the beans, what are they doing different ?

The only argument I understand is the auditory/visual machine... is my feeling too when I take a picture, with a fully manual vintage camera :)
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

walt_in_hawaii
I think I'm on the same line of inquiry as you, renatoa. I have been roasting a few years using only a P2 and then a P1. I started accumulating parts to build myself a larger fluid bed roaster, then stopped mid stream and bought a Kaldi wide, which I've been using about a week now. I jumped ship from fluid bed roasting to drum roasting because I was curious to see if there was a taste difference in the beans prepared by these two roasting methods. I haven't had enough time yet to formulate an opinion yet as I'm still sorting out the kaldi.

Certainly the drum roaster seems to provide more thermal consistency... the P1 would have a 1C that stretched out in time and over a wider range of temps, while the Kaldi seems to invoke a much more compressed 1C. But, the P1/variac combo is MUCH easier to control and modulate ROR and its possible to make near instant heating changes... with the drum I'm dealing with much more thermal inertia, so changes have to be dialed in ahead of time and take a certain amount of time to become visible in Artisan. Not difficult, but very different.

Jump to Forum: