Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,135
Newest Member: ardanni90
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Anyone burn up a Turbo Oven?
MrPeaberry
Just finished hooking up the thermocouples on my TO build. First roaster for me. I was monitoring the temps from a cozy seat near the roaster, and had the heating element plugged into a Staco transformer. At 70% power, the temp got up to about 420 F and then I started to smell plastic burning. It was then i realized that running these things without the fan motor at the high temps is just asking for trouble. Am i the only one who had done this? Shock
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

JackH
I have done it too. I have on/off switches for the heater and fan. One time I forgot to turn on the fan and was wondering why the roast was taking so long. No damage done in my case. I just re-wired so the fan always comes on. I always leave it on full.

The fan is part of the turbo system and circulates and exhausts heated air.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

MrPeaberry
Thanks Jack. I am learning the hard way. Folks who drum roast talk a lot about not using a lot of airflow at the outset of the roast, so like a dummy...I was trying to see at what setting on my variac would equate to approx. 420 F without airflow. I am now on my way to find some alternative/replacement shroud for the plastic one that had a meltdown!!
pouring

JackH
If you have an sunpentown turbo oven, they have replacement parts but you would have to buy the head assembly ($55).

http://www.sunpen...forov.html
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Koffee Kosmo
In a Turbo Oven there are two different sized fans but they spin together as they share a common shaft
One fan blows down to the beans the other cools the electronics

So It's prudent to use the fan
Also note - On a KKTO design the fan assists in circulating and reusing or reclaiming all the available heat and air inside the roaster is used in an opposite to wind sheer
( lets call it heat sheer )

Fan forced air also pushes the chaff to the lower chamber for a cleaner roast

So the fan is good in this type of roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
MrPeaberry
JackH wrote:

If you have an sunpentown turbo oven, they have replacement parts but you would have to buy the head assembly ($55).

http://www.sunpen...forov.html

Thanks Jack, I don't have a Sunpentown oven, but I was able to to find a SS steamer insert for a stock pot that fit perfectly on top of the metal frame of the oven. I also grabbed a glass lid with a cool knob that I could use for lifting the oven on and off the roaster. The perforations in the insert make it ideal for keeping the motor cool. In light of KK's comments, I may even add a secondary fan motor on top instead of the knob...but for now...I'll just take the advice and keep the air flow at max while roasting. I appreciate all the help guys!

Cheers,

Peaberry
pouring

Jump to Forum: