Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
07/22/2019 10:57 PM
Maybe I forgot to add my username to the PP payment.

JackH
07/22/2019 9:24 AM
This reminds me to donate too.

JackH
07/22/2019 9:23 AM
I think it is Ken.

snwcmpr
07/22/2019 2:20 AM
It does not show on the donations list. Is that a manually updated list?

allenb
07/21/2019 12:48 PM
Thanks Ken! Great to have you as an HRO member! coffee drink

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,053
Newest Member: Mevinsb
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Anyone burn up a Turbo Oven?
MrPeaberry
Just finished hooking up the thermocouples on my TO build. First roaster for me. I was monitoring the temps from a cozy seat near the roaster, and had the heating element plugged into a Staco transformer. At 70% power, the temp got up to about 420 F and then I started to smell plastic burning. It was then i realized that running these things without the fan motor at the high temps is just asking for trouble. Am i the only one who had done this? Shock
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

JackH
I have done it too. I have on/off switches for the heater and fan. One time I forgot to turn on the fan and was wondering why the roast was taking so long. No damage done in my case. I just re-wired so the fan always comes on. I always leave it on full.

The fan is part of the turbo system and circulates and exhausts heated air.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

MrPeaberry
Thanks Jack. I am learning the hard way. Folks who drum roast talk a lot about not using a lot of airflow at the outset of the roast, so like a dummy...I was trying to see at what setting on my variac would equate to approx. 420 F without airflow. I am now on my way to find some alternative/replacement shroud for the plastic one that had a meltdown!!
pouring

JackH
If you have an sunpentown turbo oven, they have replacement parts but you would have to buy the head assembly ($55).

http://www.sunpen...forov.html
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Koffee Kosmo
In a Turbo Oven there are two different sized fans but they spin together as they share a common shaft
One fan blows down to the beans the other cools the electronics

So It's prudent to use the fan
Also note - On a KKTO design the fan assists in circulating and reusing or reclaiming all the available heat and air inside the roaster is used in an opposite to wind sheer
( lets call it heat sheer )

Fan forced air also pushes the chaff to the lower chamber for a cleaner roast

So the fan is good in this type of roaster

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
MrPeaberry
JackH wrote:

If you have an sunpentown turbo oven, they have replacement parts but you would have to buy the head assembly ($55).

http://www.sunpen...forov.html

Thanks Jack, I don't have a Sunpentown oven, but I was able to to find a SS steamer insert for a stock pot that fit perfectly on top of the metal frame of the oven. I also grabbed a glass lid with a cool knob that I could use for lifting the oven on and off the roaster. The perforations in the insert make it ideal for keeping the motor cool. In light of KK's comments, I may even add a secondary fan motor on top instead of the knob...but for now...I'll just take the advice and keep the air flow at max while roasting. I appreciate all the help guys!

Cheers,

Peaberry
pouring

Jump to Forum: