Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Gigimedrano
04/17/2019 6:33 AM
Hi guys, my hot top has stripper a gear.. ive only had it for a lil over a year now hot top wants 120+ for a new motor and gearbox assembly any idea? Is this normal year and some Months dont seem lik

Ray Kahuna
04/16/2019 8:04 AM
has anyone built an adjustable coffee grind press?

Nitesh
04/01/2019 10:04 PM
Hello, I have been trying to get in contact with manufacturer of HB roaster in China but failed until now. Does anyone have idea who is the manufacturer of HB roaster in China?

allenb
03/30/2019 3:46 AM
Spammer babble from me and others have been removed from Centrifugal Roasters Thread. From here on we will toss them immediately. ThumbsUp

jpworks
03/27/2019 11:15 PM
What’s the preferred way to upload pics from iPhone?

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,912
Newest Member: Breger1
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
talking with these guys...
turtle
ginny wrote:

for me upgrading to a small commercial roaster is a matter of the cost as I only roast for myself and the Hot Top and Quest do a beautiful job of roasting with my help...

plus I roast upstairs and if I got a bigger roaster I would need to go to the basement but maybe I will sell the HT and Quest and buy a North...

-g

Space limitations are what drive people into one roaster choice over another, not their desires, otherwise we would all be using large drum roasters (if we had the dedicated roasting space)

I find that a 1 lb sample roaster is the perfect size for my wife and I to use for our weekly coffee consumption. there are home roasters in or near this size that can be used on a stove top. My 100# SF is just too dang awkward to get on the stove other wise that is where I would use it.

I am lucky in that I have a large patio with a door that goes directly into my basement (well into a bathroom with a door on the other side of it to the basement). So it is extremely convenient for me to use a cart and roll out and in for my roasting hobby. I understand that others do not have this ease of use so they are restricted to using other roasting methods. After all it is the roast and roasting that is important NOT what you use to roast with (within reason)

ginny wrote:why not? what did you guys pay for your new toy's??

rockon

My SF-1 literately FELL into my possession. I was NOT looking for another roaster as I was and still am very pleased with my modified hottop.

It was listed on eBay and sold for a LARGE sum of money.

Something told me to contact the seller about a month after the sale and ask them if it was "really gone" as I did not see any feedback posted to the buyer or seller on the sale (not unusual but it just told me "hey, why not")

The seller wrote back with a LONG tale of disgust and anger and said the roaster would be back at his house the next day AND that HE had to pay to get it back (you just gotta love/hate eBay)..... SO.... if I wanted it I could have it for an absurdly low price. Can we say "being in the right place at the right time?"

My wife stomped her foot and emphatically said NO WAY JOSE you are NOT getting a BIG burned up coffee roaster.....

Then out of nowhere the seller said they would take even less for cash AND that they would deliver it TO MY DOOR.....

That was what turned my wife around. She did not want to make a 1k mile trek in winter to buy a burned up coffee roaster but if they were willing to put it at our front door she relented and said OK but YOU OWE ME!!!

After almost a year of design and fabrication I have what, for me, is the perfect coffee roasting machine for my needs.

As to what my advice would be for someone considering making the BIG step to a SMALL commercial coffee roaster........

Consider your purchase as a FINAL step, not an interim purchase, looking to maybe upgrade in the future.

These roasters are big, heavy, and an expensive investment.

You should look at one that is BEYOND your budget and look at it as a final resting place for your hobby.

After all, once you step into the world of commercial roasting, you leave the realm of hobby and enter into the world of BUSINESS....

Look at a IR-1 or SF-1. Both of these are made for the commercial market. They are designed to be batch/sample roasters which means you can roast a pound of green THEN transfer the profile directly to your production roaster without the need to change/modify the profile.

Either of these smaller commercial batch/sample roasters would fill the requirements you will have AFTER you make that big choice to run with a 20#, 60# or 100# commercial roasting machine AND still be useful. they would not need to be sold if you purchase a larger machine from the same company because they are designed to be EXACT duplicates of the companies commercial production roasters.

Even if you need to take out a loan to make up the difference between a "reasonably priced" small commercial roaster and a "wow that is a lot of money" small commercial roaster. Think of it as an investment. If you find that you really do not want to be a commercial coffee roaster a used IR-1 or SF-1 is going to be LOT easier and faster to sell than a used ______ (stick in the name of any of the low priced 1-2# roasters).

If you decide that a small commercial roaster is where you will stop, you will be VERY satisfied owning the best of the best and not be looking to "upgrade" and "dispose" of the budget roaster you settled for.

I retired army Colonel once told me. "You are far better off spending too much money for something you are after than to purchase a number of average quality items and still be searching for the one you should have purchased. You will save money by spending too much up front"

If you are not willing to make this commitment, you might be best sticking with a home appliance that will do the same thing for you.

After all.... This is a hobby..... Right?

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ginny
well, Steve at Mill is a very nice fellow.

I am considering ordering one as space to put it is not an issue for me at all.

have tons-o-room to put a roaster of any size actually and I already I have a blower/vent setup downstairs as well.

(read 800 sq foot basement) full of shit...

ginny

roar

turtle
ginny wrote:

well, Steve at Mill is a very nice fellow.

I am considering ordering one as space to put it is not an issue for me at all.

have tons-o-room to put a roaster of any size actually and I already I have a blower/vent setup downstairs as well.

(read 800 sq foot basement) full of shit...

ginny

roar

Steve has been very helpful to me also. Not directly, but just from reading his posts and comments here in HRO and on other coffee forums.

He is a great resource to the coffee roasting community.

I look forward to hearing about and seeing what you end up with and how you integrate it into the space that you have for coffee roasting.

You will be pleasantly surprised once you move into a commercial coffee roaster. Not just in the taste, but the ease at which you can reproduce perfection, time after time.

There is something about a very large chunk of steel, that once it is at roasting temperature, it performs flawlessly.

I find my best roasts are the 2nd and 3rd ones, once the roaster has reached a stable roasting temperature.

Be patient as it will take up to half an hour to get the roaster from stone cold up to the proper heat. Do not be lulled once it "reaches" that point. Take another quarter hour and maintain that "sweet spot" before you get started. That way your first roasts will be equal in quality to your subsequent ones.

The biggest mistakes users of small commercial machines make is to not waiting until the machine is ready to start roasting.

Roasts on the Hottop are half hour event. The same roasts on the SF-1 are several hours.

You will find that your roaster will take hours before it cools down. Keep the warm up/down time in mind and don't try to roast that day if you do not have the time to invest.

Army Coffee
Depending on the outside temperature, I have found that 30 minutes is okay, but I usually do a smaller roast to start on my TJ-072, 2kg Roaster. Since I always make myself an Espresso Blend, my first batch is a 900 gram roast. This definitely gets the roaster up to temperature.

Not sure if this will excite an argument, but I think my North would have a great resale if I were to decide to end my coffee roasting...I did not just say that!

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

ginny
yes you did...

Ringo
I have a 5 pound home built roaster and it does not roast right until after the first roast. To get around this I try to do a 1 pound batch first. At that size the roaster does a good job cold. I still heat it up 15 min or so, I feel the front plate to make sure its warm and then drop the first batch.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

turtle
Ringo wrote:

I have a 5 pound home built roaster and it does not roast right until after the first roast. To get around this I try to do a 1 pound batch first. At that size the roaster does a good job cold. I still heat it up 15 min or so, I feel the front plate to make sure its warm and then drop the first batch.

I preheat to the point that I cannot touch the front or rear plate (screaming hot.... leave your skin on the metal hot.....).

I preheat my roaster SLOWLY to 350 degrees which takes about 25 to 30 minutes @ 20% power. THEN I maintain 350 degrees for another 20-25 minutes before raising the burner to 80% roasting level and starting my first roast, charging between 375 and 400 degrees depending on the bean I am roasting..

Every batch is just as good as the last one was and just as good as the next one will be.

I rarely roast more than 2 pounds of coffee (2 batches) in a single session because it takes us 10-12 days to consume 2 lb of coffee. The exception is when I do an espresso roast, then I will add a 3rd roast that day.

I am not a commercial coffee roaster nor do I want to be one. I have never sold or even given away roasted coffee. Roasting coffee is MY hobby for My personal enjoyment. When friends and colleagues ask me about my coffee I recommend that they go to one of the excellent artisan roasters here in town, one of which was runner up in Roast Magazine's roaster of the year for 2016. It does not get much better than that ThumbsUp

Jump to Forum: