Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:24 AM
Grin snwcmpr

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,140
Newest Member: Gcoliver3
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
North TJ-072 2kg Roaster: Initial Detailed Review
Army Coffee
Bottom Line Up Front: If the durability of the TJ-072 is anything close to my initial assessment of this 2kg Coffee Roaster, you will get a ton in terms of “Bang” for your Buck!

Research: Simply put, there is not a lot of information available for the TJ-072. Even the more popular TJ-067 1KG Roaster has limited information available for it. I suspect this will change considerably over the next 12-18 months, but I was forced to look at information about the 1kg machine and assume the 2kg would be similar.

Decision: There are other roasters available that are made in China…A LOT OF THEM! What made this even more difficult was the fact that the pictures were all very similar; some were the exact same! This added to my concern about getting what I paid for. Email correspondence is okay, but I wanted a trusting voice. I found two different people distributing different machines in the United States and I went with my Gut in terms of Mill City Roasters. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! Before dropping your hard earned money on a roaster, I would highly suggest that you spend a little bit of money and visit Mill City Roasters and spend some time with Steve and Dave. Not only did they address every single one of my concerns, but I also had the opportunity to do a bunch of roasts on the 1kg machine they have set up at their business. I walked away from that visit with a bunch of coffee, all my questions answered, and a TJ-072 on order!

Waiting and Delivery: The wait is the hardest part, but it gave me time to plan for the arrival of my new roaster. I read and re-read “The Coffee Roaster’s Companion”, and did everything I could to prepare my work space for the roaster. Delivery proved to be a bit frustrating as the date on the web site changed the day it was supposed to arrive (Friday). The date that it was changed to (Monday) never happened either and it finally arrived the next day (Tuesday). From that day forward, it has been an incredible learning experience.

Set Up: Two Things: Watch the videos on uncrating your roaster and Have a Crow Bar!! That alone will make the uncrating easy. Setup was also a breeze and the manual provided with the roaster is more than adequate to get you up and running. A schematic of the Roaster that identifies all the different items on the roaster would be convenient, but there was no significant obstacle in setting the roaster up.

Seasoning Roasts: I strongly suggest you use every seasoning roast to get acquainted with your roasting profiles. It is a very steep learning curve and you really can’t mess up bringing a roast to a rolling Second Crack. This roaster is a BEAST! I lost control of the ROR on my first two seasoning roasts, but used them to learn my issues. Steve and Dave were readily available to reassure me of what I was doing and by the end of my seasoning roasts, I had a pretty good feel of how to control the roast through Sight/Sound/Smell and more importantly, how to incorporate Artisan in this process.

My First Series of Roasts: Using the Seasoning Roasts to hone my understanding of my roaster set me up for success with my first real roasts. As of this writing, I have done the four different roast charges of 1kg, two-2kg, and 600g. This machine can go all day and with every roast, I learn more about the nuances of my specific roaster. I did not loose control of any of these roasts!

Quality: I cannot find one aspect of the machine that I would classify as poor workmanship. The packing crate of my roaster was great and I had no damage to the finish. The only thing wrong upon delivery was the Hex Bolts for the front and back doors were missing. A simple trip to Home Depot solved that immediately. The finish inside of the Cooling Tray is a little rough, but it is 100% functioning.

Final Thoughts: I cannot be happier about my decision. My initial results show that I can get great results at a small charge of 600 grams, a half charge of 1kg, and a full charge of 2kg. I have yet to try an over-charge and really see no reason to at this point. Artisan has been a big change for me as I never bothered with adding it to the Hottop I used for 3-years. Installation of the software was easy and the instruction book took me through step by step to connect my Phidget. Roasting on this machine is simply fun. Add to this the incredible customer support before, during and after the sale, and the TJ-072 from Mill City Roaster is a “NO BRAINER”

I look forward to answering any questions you have.

Drew
coffee drink
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

woodchuck
Drew, thanks for the update on your new roaster. Would love to see some pics of your setup. I'm patiently waiting for my TJ-067.

Cheers

Ian
Roasters: TJ-067, Hottop with TC4C and RAF Mods
Espresso: LaSpaziale VII/Macap M4 Grinder
Pour over: Bonmac Pro Cone
Press: Bodum

BenKeith
Well, you should pretty well have all the friends and neighbors stocked up on fresh coffee, what are you doing with it now.

I went through about 12 pounds over the past five weeks working on a bunch of stuff I wanted to experiment with and changing my whole way of roasting, and I don't use much more than a pound a month.
Edited by BenKeith on 02/22/2016 11:43 AM

Army Coffee
I am having a hell of a time getting my photos down to a useable size for this forum.
:-(

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

BenKeith
I use a Corel photo editor and resize them before sending them to photobucket. Sometimes when I post them to photo bucket, they still show up larger than expected on here anyway.

This is one I recently did and it's actually smaller than I wanted and it was resized to 5" x 10"

i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac239/BenKeith/Columbian%202016-02-19_zps3vnkekmn.png
Edited by BenKeith on 02/22/2016 11:55 AM

ginny
I am having a hell of a time getting my photos down to a useable size for this forum.
:-(

Drew,

talk to Jack about your photos and you will not have any trouble and you should not anyway...

we have enough image space allocated. it's a matter of taking a few minutes to size your shots; you can have all the detail you need if you use your photo apps properly.

ginny

we are here to help but you gotta ask...smoking

roar

Army Coffee
Here is a link: https://drive.goo...WJzdDZHa0U

Will add some videos and other pictures when I get some time.

Giddy Up!

Drew

Admin edit:

Added first photo:

Army Coffee attached the following file:
You are not allowed to see attachments in this thread.

Edited by JackH on 02/23/2016 10:34 AM
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

woodchuck
Drew, she looks gorgeous, thanks for posting the pics.

Cheers

Ian
Roasters: TJ-067, Hottop with TC4C and RAF Mods
Espresso: LaSpaziale VII/Macap M4 Grinder
Pour over: Bonmac Pro Cone
Press: Bodum

Army Coffee
I am loving it!!!

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

Army Coffee
Added a photo with Vent Piping to External tornado Chaff Collector and Vent Piping from Cooling fan to a Cyclone Dust Collector.
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

ginny
Well Drew you have some company now:

Ben Treichel is waiting for his 500g:

https://millcityr...e-roaster/

a trend is happening here.

[img][/img]

ginny

party
ginny attached the following file:

ginny
me thinks I need one as well...

roar
Edited by ginny on 03/03/2016 1:00 PM

Army Coffee
Have "Dorothy" set up the way I like and "She is Flying"

https://drive.goo...e_web#grid

edit to fix link
Edited by ginny on 03/03/2016 1:01 PM
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

dmccallum
Hi there,

Great looking machine! Thanks for sharing.

A few months ago I set out to build a 2Kg drum roaster taking advice from this forum, and wonder if you could validate a few things for me?
http://forum.home...rowstart=0

There have been a number of things to consider given that I don't actually have access to a commercial machine, mainly around capacity and sizing the various components. A lot of what I have done has been drawn from the San Fransiscan SF-1 and Probatino, but neither of these are 2Kg machines, so I'm hoping you can confirm a couple of things before I move from the 3D mock-up I've nearly finished to 2D autocad and getting steels cut.

1. The drum blower CFM (cubic feet/minute) rating. Does your motor have this figure printed on it?

2. Dimensions of the bean hopper (from which I can confirm what I believe will need to be about 5.3L)

3. Dimensions of the cooling tray. A tricky one this as I've been advised that the bean mass swells in front of the stirring paddles and thus the volume of the tray needs to be something like twice the volume of the beans.

4. Diameter of the draw pipe from the drum to blower?

I have promised to share my design once its done (I'll upload it into SketchUPs 3D Warehouse soon) and so as your machines capacity matches what I am trying to replicate, your input at this stage would be really useful to validate what I've done.

Good to know also that you can do as little as 600g loads with consistent results.

Cheers
Derek
dmccallum attached the following file:

Edited by dmccallum on 03/03/2016 10:44 PM

Army Coffee
Sorry I haven't had the time to get measurements. I am pretty sure the specifications and dimensions are available on the North site.

I am really enjoying the roaster and will add a few things to the above review after 1-month of roasting. The ability to do back-to-back roasts is wonderful. Did 18 pounds of coffee this weekend in 2-hours...and that included grinding, bagging (5lb Bags) and heat Sealing 15 pounds.

Giddy Up!

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

Jump to Forum: