Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Jeremy's KKTO Build, Parts
jkruer01
There are 2 problems that I noticed right away.

1) I feel like the motor is turning kind of slow.
2) I need to find out how to disconnect the thermostat.

The heat kept turning off on the turbo oven even though I had the temperature turned up as high as I could get it.

Does anyone have any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!

Koffee Kosmo
If you think your motor is going to slow then add another agitator arm

Have a look at my video as a guide of good agitation http://youtu.be/X...

And this one with the wire - http://youtu.be/w...

With your Turbo Oven - That is normal to cycle on and off when it reaches it's set temp - depending on the thermostat setting

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
jkruer01
Koffee Kosmo wrote:

If you think your motor is going to slow then add another agitator arm

Have a look at my video as a guide of good agitation http://youtu.be/X...

And this one with the wire - http://youtu.be/w...

With your Turbo Oven - That is normal to cycle on and off when it reaches it's set temp - depending on the thermostat setting

KK

Thanks for the videos, mine is not going anywhere near that fast. Maybe I need to make sure I have it wired up to high and not low.

So with the heart going on and off, so people just leave it like that or is there a recommended modification?

What about the insulation / filling in the bottom, what is the recommended material?

Thanks!

Koffee Kosmo
Regarding TO mods - as the designer I don't like to say this and that will work if you break electrical safety laws
Having said that a competent and licensed person can isolate the thermostat and possibly incorporate a TC4
( I haven't done it myself but others have )
Also check with JackH

Insulation is placed under the false floor if the pots are to large and need volume adjustment
Otherwise surround the outside
But any insulation you use, has to exceed the max Turbo Oven temp by 50% for safety

Lots of DIYers use fire blankets with good results

KK
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

Tony_C
jkruer01 wrote:
Thanks for the videos, mine is not going anywhere near that fast. Maybe I need to make sure I have it wired up to high and not low.

If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.
Tony_C attached the following image:
wiring.jpg

Behmor 1600+, SC/TO, KKTO (Building), Baratza Encore, Chemex, Bodum Chambord French Press, Turkish Cezve

LongLeafSoaps
Tony_C wrote:

If you are talking about the wiper motor going too slow, please make sure you are wiring it correctly, as mine spins fast.

I just clicked the virtual "Like" button....
Carpe Diem With Coffee

JackH
Turbo oven wiring is different with each model and it is hard to document wire colors, etc. I removed my thermostat completely and wired another AC cable direct to the heater coil with an on/off switch in series. I plug the added AC cable into a Variac (Autotransformer) directly controlling the heater coil. The other AC cable is wired to the turbo oven fan.

I would keep the fire safety fuse in place. It will open and shut down the heater if the temperature gets too high. you should see it attached to the chassis near the heater coil.

I attached some photos and I hope it helps. I have been in electronics for 40 years and I am a bit crazy so I do this stuff. Underwriter's Labs would not be happy with me. Please be careful! Stay with it and don't let it run unattended.

JackH attached the following images:
turbo3_1.jpg turbo2_1.jpg turbo1_1.jpg turbo.jpg

---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jkruer01
I just saw this post. Thanks for the information I REALLY appreciate it! Electricity has me a little nervous. I may hold off for a little bit. I'm in the process of moving and have a lot going on right now.

Thanks!
Edited by JackH on 02/04/2016 9:13 AM

MrPeaberry
JackH wrote:

Turbo oven wiring is different with each model and it is hard to document wire colors, etc. I removed my thermostat completely and wired another AC cable direct to the heater coil with an on/off switch in series. I plug the added AC cable into a Variac (Autotransformer) directly controlling the heater coil. The other AC cable is wired to the turbo oven fan.

I would keep the fire safety fuse in place. It will open and shut down the heater if the temperature gets too high. you should see it attached to the chassis near the heater coil.

I attached some photos and I hope it helps. I have been in electronics for 40 years and I am a bit crazy so I do this stuff. Underwriter's Labs would not be happy with me. Please be careful! Stay with it and don't let it run unattended.

Hi Jack,

Been working on a TO build and kind of in the stealth mode on this forum. I just purchased a Staco variable output autotransformer "variac", but what was described as a 12 amp unit, turned out to be a 10amp unit with a 12amp fuse. There is a toggle switch for 120vac/off/140vac. If I disconnect the TO thermostat and use the 140vac setting, I will be able to utilize the 1300watt capacity of the TO, otherwise, my max output on the unit will be 1200watts. Is it safe to use the 140vac setting??

Cheers,

Peaberry
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

JackH
MrPeaberry,

My Variac is also rated for 10A. I have a Kill-a-watt connected to the output to make sure I don't exceed the 10A rating. I am not sure about the 120/140 switch, I don't have one. I think if you can monitor the current and make sure it does not exceed 10A (I keep at 9.5A), you should be OK.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

MrPeaberry
JackH wrote:

MrPeaberry,

My Variac is also rated for 10A. I have a Kill-a-watt connected to the output to make sure I don't exceed the 10A rating. I am not sure about the 120/140 switch, I don't have one. I think if you can monitor the current and make sure it does not exceed 10A (I keep at 9.5A), you should be OK.

Thanks Jack. I see the Kill-a-watt in your picture. I guess I'll see how it goes once I'm up and roasting. I appreciate the input!

Cheers!
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

scotthal
MrPeaberry wrote:

I just purchased a Staco variable output autotransformer "variac", but what was described as a 12 amp unit, turned out to be a 10amp unit with a 12amp fuse. There is a toggle switch for 120vac/off/140vac. If I disconnect the TO thermostat and use the 140vac setting, I will be able to utilize the 1300watt capacity of the TO, otherwise, my max output on the unit will be 1200watts. Is it safe to use the 140vac setting??

Cheers,

Peaberry

Published ratings for Staco & Variac autotransformers are for "worst-case" conditions - high ambient temperature, continuous operation, lossy operational regime (ohmic heating peaks mid voltage, drops at line, & climbs w/boost operations). A good autotransformer with a 10A 'constant current rating' should be able to handle a 1500W purely resistive load @120V 24/7 for ambient temperatures below 100F.

On the other hand - if your Staco's 10A rating is for 'max-current', you have a right to be concerned ...
Food for thought; coffee for concentration

JackH
I just don't like blowing a Variac fuse in the middle of a roast so I take it easy on the power.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

LongLeafSoaps
Tony_C wrote:

Okay, seriously....I could have swore I only hit the "liked" button, LOLOLOL! I hit all others a second time hoping it would cancel them out....sorry about that Tony! =/
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Koffee Kosmo

Most of the automotive motors can take up to 24 volt
By adding more Volts juice you increase the speed

Or add another agitator arm

KK

Jump to Forum: