Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 7

Members Online: 1
Anot

Total Members: 6,587
Newest Member: Boki
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Foiling Static Charge in the Ground Bin
comfortableshoes
My wife bought me a Capresso Infinity grinder as a gift abut a year or so ago. It's not a bad grinder, but it's not great. The thing that really drives me nuts about it is that the ground bin is super static charged. I tried a strip of aluminum foil, but the foil strip would fall out and make a mess. It annoyed me.

I was fixing the air inlet on my pellet stove with foil tape and realized it was the solution to my static woes. I applied a strip of tape from the back of the bin to the front and overlapping the front lip by about an inch.

It worked really really well. Not even a hint of static in the bin at all.

To combat the static, I touch the tape on the outside of the bin and then touch my stainless steel sink, static gone.

Here is the tape that I used: http://amzn.to/1MD03GA

comfortableshoesstudio.com
coffeeforblood
The strange thing I have found is that I NEVER have static with my home-roasted beans, but it is almost a universal phenomenon with commercially roasted beans. I have been scratching my head trying to rationalize why they should be different and I'll have to say, I got nuthin'. The only thing that even makes remote sense to me is that the commercial beans are much lower in moisture content, but I haven't actually measured the difference. Btw, thanks for the tip. I have a Capresso mill too and I like its performance, but the static can be annoying.

oldgearhead
I just shake about 4 drops of tap water into the beans..problem gone..
No oil on my beans...

ChicagoJohn

oldgearhead wrote:

Thanks for this solution. I just got a grinder a few days ago and was looking through you tube videos and saw this demonstrated, and it seemed to work like a charm in the video.

https://youtu.be/fZhe07ORb2Q
So many beans; so little time....

oldgearhead
I watched my Grandmother do it about 60 years ago..I don't bother with a paper towel, I just hold two fingers under the running water for a few seconds and shake it up with the measurement cup of greens.
Edited by oldgearhead on 12/21/2016 7:29 AM
No oil on my beans...

BenKeith
A short squirt from one of these filled with water an set to a fine mist makes life simple.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item...gQodViMAQg

Also, plastic grinder bins regularly wiped with a wet rag with a dab of dish soap helps keep them from holding static.

seedlings

comfortableshoes wrote:

My wife bought me a Capresso Infinity grinder as a gift abut a year or so ago. It's not a bad grinder, but it's not great. The thing that really drives me nuts about it is that the ground bin is super static charged. I tried a strip of aluminum foil, but the foil strip would fall out and make a mess. It annoyed me.

I was fixing the air inlet on my pellet stove with foil tape and realized it was the solution to my static woes. I applied a strip of tape from the back of the bin to the front and overlapping the front lip by about an inch.

It worked really really well. Not even a hint of static in the bin at all.

To combat the static, I touch the tape on the outside of the bin and then touch my stainless steel sink, static gone.

Here is the tape that I used: http://amzn.to/1MD03GA

Could you snap a picture of what you did there?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

JackH

oldgearhead wrote:

I tried it and it works. Thanks!
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

Mustang967

ChicagoJohn wrote:

oldgearhead wrote:

Thanks for this solution. I just got a grinder a few days ago and was looking through you tube videos and saw this demonstrated, and it seemed to work like a charm in the video.

https://youtu.be/fZhe07ORb2Q

Not to get off topic but what grinder did you get?

Royce

centralvalleycoffee.com
Swiftflow
Posted this elsewhere, but this Stainless steel cup fits perfect in the Capresso Infinity just note you need to keep one finger on it to prevent it vibrating out of the grinding path. It has the same affect as the tape trick. I found one for 2.99 at TJmax home store, but here is one on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Winware-Stainl...B001CIELHW
Edited by Swiftflow on 04/25/2017 12:03 PM

Johnh
Kind of an old thread - but I recently read about and started using a few drops of water on the beans prior to grinding. It made a tremendous difference. I use a Baratza Encore grinder and it seemed to always have grounds and chaff collect in the exit tunnel. Walk by the grinder a couple hours after coffee and there would be a couple of teaspoons of grounds lying in the bin. A couple drops of water and it has cut that to virtually zero.

renatoa
RDT Ross Droplet Technique
http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/ross-droplet-technique-eliminating-grinder-static-t24051.html
DIY: TO based IR to bean 750g
Moded commercial: Dieckmann RoestMeister, Nesco, popcorn.
TC4ESP, PID controllers, MS6514 USB/Artisan/Apps
Grinder: MBK Feldgrind, mod'ed Porlex to 47 conical burrs, vintage PeDe Dienes

Jump to Forum: