Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,246
Newest Member: cabbar
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Metal Filters
CharcoalRoaster
I haven't had any luck with searches re: the use of metal filters in lieu of paper ones.

Does anyone have any experience or insight into the use of metal filters (cone or flat, ss or gold plated)?

Merry Christmas!

turtle
Merry Christmas back at ya :)

I have gold plated and stainless in cone and bunn style.

I have not used them in years..

If I want un-filtered tasting coffee I will use one of my many presses, moka pot, vacuum, or espresso machine.

If I want filtered tasting coffee I use a drip or auto with a paper filter

there are so many different ways to make coffee, trying to make them all taste the same by using a screen in a paper filter system seems a little odd to me.

There is a taste difference between paper filter and screen and even no screen like vacuum. I even find a taste difference between different style/shape of paper filters

What taste are you chasing?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

David
CharcoalRoaster wrote:
I haven't had any luck with searches re: the use of metal filters in lieu of paper ones.
Does anyone have any experience or insight into the use of metal filters (cone or flat, ss or gold plated)?

Good question.

I am a fan of metal filters.

One reason is that paper filters retain some of the coffee oils.
IMHO, the oils contribute to the richness of the taste.
If you have. say, an Aeropress. you can test this. It's pretty obvious.

The unbleached filters often add an off-taste. like paper towels.
This may have improved in recent years.
OTOH, there are also some man-made fiber filters that don't add an off-taste and retain only a minimum of oils. Some cold-brew rigs use this kind of filter, about 1/4" - 3/8" thick.

In any case, I prefer the flavor of coffee that has been steeped, with all the grounds fully immersed in the hot water. So, I typically use a french press or a Clever Dripper with a gold or gold-plated filter.

Yes, there is a bit of grit at the bottom, but it's worth it. IMHO

Glass vacuum pots are terrific, too, once the techniques are mastered.

MPSAN
David, I agree. I also use a French Press. After a time, I tried my small Drip/Paper Filter machine. I NEVER would have guessed that I could taste the paper! I have a gold filter for this machine that I have never used, but I like the French Press so much better...even with the small amount of fines on the bottom!

Dave, too
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

turtle
My filter brewing routine.

I put 2 cups of water in the microwave to boiling
Place the filter in the holder over my carafe or air pot
Pour the boiling water through the filter to rinse and warm the brew basket.
Then add the ground coffee and brew.

This pre-heat/rinse clears the filter "taste" and heats the carafe/air-pot at the same time.

Once The coffee is brewed I transfer it from the brew vessel to the pre-heated carafe or air pot.

Never get any "filter paper taste" using this method.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Cuppa/2-16-2014_brew_zpsf7925876.jpg

CharcoalRoaster
My brew routine is very similar to everyone out there who wets/rinses paper filters prior to brewing. My question wasn't posed because I was trying to find a solution to off flavors or tastes in my cup. Actually, I was asking because I ran out of #4 cone filters hahaha. Thinking about purchasing more I thought I'd ask about metal filters since I know they exist. I have just never used one so wasn't sure if it was worth it? Or, if it would negatively affect my brewing methods.

turtle
#4 Melitta is a grocery store item, easy to find everywhere which is when I travel in our mini RV I take a Beehouse which takes #4 Melitta filters and a 1 liter thermal carafe to brew directly into.

If you want an emergency "backup" you can get a stainless or gold plated screen in a #4 Melitta size to use.

Understand that the same coffee brewed in the same method with a different filter will taste differently.

I enjoy "filtered" and steeped coffee (drip and press is the most common of the 2 brew methods)

If you have a press, why not use that as your emergency backup brewer?

If you are just curious what pour over through a screen taste like get a screen and see for yourself. That is why I got the screens and kone, .....curiosity..... Just because I no longer use them is no reason to sway your decision.

Try every brewing method and stick with what floats your boat.

allenb
Metal filters can produce excellent results but for me have always required doing a manual pour. I do a fast wetting of all the grounds then pour in one spot at a constant rate to prevent sloshing the grounds bed around. A typical cone style electric brewer will pulse the grounds bed and disturb the top layer to the point where too many fines end up making it through the filter and for me, produce a gritty, bitter brew. The manual pour/metal filter method requires using a higher coffee to water ratio than with paper filters.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

jkoll42
To expand on what Allen said, if you are going the metal filter route you really need a very good grinder. Those metal filters are much more sensitive to fines.

I'm not anti metal filters, but for me if I want a brew with more of the coffee oil elements I have french press, or americano which imho taste much better than metal filtered drip/pour over.

When I do drip it's the trusty Technivorm with Filtropia filters (which truly blind cup better than other brands).
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: