Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
copper and air roaster
orangivap
Hello
I make my coffee roaster with a heat gun, I want to know whether copper is toxic to send hot air into the roaster

please excuse my broken English I write you to France

Thank you

oldgearhead
Copper is heavy metal that is considered safe with cold drinks but not hot drinks. Most copper food vessels in use today are lined with another material.
You can find more information on the internet. Goodle - 'Copper vessel safety'. Some say it's beneficial, but I wouldn't use hot liquid or air..
No oil on my beans...

orangivap
I see it does not be very well so

the roaster fz rr700 is not it copper? and it did not seem to bother its users, it can be a coating on the inside , as for copper cookware?

thank you for your answer

baldheadracing
The FZ-RR 700 is copper. There is no coating on the inside. I have one, but I have not used it.

jkoll42
Hi orangivap

What part of the roaster did you want to be copper?

First let me say I am not a metallurgist but I did research regarding this before I built my roaster which uses a copper tube to direct a gas torch into the roast chamber.

There are two potential concerns with copper. One is breathing the gas produced by heating copper especially once it has reached copperII oxide @300-800C. I have never seen my copper pipe even reach a copperI patina from roasting. Also remember that you (should be) roasting with good ventilation anyway so there really is no concern about fume fever if you are using copper to direct hot air into a roast chamber.

As far as using raw copper as a possible roast chamber with bean contact... as said above copper is a heavy metal and is not recommended for cooking acidic foods or chronic use for hot acidic beverages. Not surprisingly I couldn't find any studies of leaching copper from a homemade roaster into coffee beans! My personal thought is this - coffee has a ph of about 5. Tomato is about 6. This is actually 10x more acidic than coffee. The beans are solid, not liquid. I would personally not be worried about solid beans being agitated leaching from copper during a short exposure time you find in roasting. That being said there are way better options than copper for a roast chamber from both a cost and practical aspect IMHO.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

snwcmpr
Not particular to roasting, but a guy was developing his own design of silent burners for classic camp stoves (BernieDawg Caps). He started by using copper pipe and other copper pieces. After testing, he noticed that the copper flaked from the heat. He started using brass after that.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

orangivap
thank you for your very precise answer
but after much searching , I finally found a stainless steel elbow that will be perfect
I no longer has to find a fan powerful enough to run all this , the heat gun fan does not blow enough and the heating resistance blocking the passage of air

alexcampbell
Not 100% sure about hot air, but pretty much all candy kettles and most commercial alcohol stills, especially for whisky/bourbon/scotch are 100% copper.

Jump to Forum: