Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/10/2020 8:46 PM
Had to make myself another cup of coffee to get through it.

snwcmpr
· 08/10/2020 7:33 PM
I went into withdrawal for a bit. Now .. all is good. roar

mtbizzle
· 08/10/2020 7:26 PM
Yeah Jack I think so, I couldn't access for a bit

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/10/2020 6:51 PM
Did we lose the site for a while?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 08/06/2020 3:33 PM
Allenb, how are you doing?

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,687
Newest Member: merahbangsawan
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
HOTTOP 2k+ Getting to French Roast Level.
EagleScout
Just purchased a new to me older B model and did the upgrade to the 2K+

The Wife likes a certain coffee chains Dark French Roast.

170g load, followed a profile I had found that got me close to the french roast for her.

Heater was on 90% till first crack then dropped the heat 60% and fan on 4.

Bean temp hit the max setting which was 417 or 418 and dropped the roast in the middle of a rolling 2nd crack. Coffee tastes great to me but the wife wants a french roast.

Do I lower the charge load or maybe drop the temp to 50%?

ginny
Hi:

got no idea what the bean looks like but does your wife want a darker roast. sounds to me with what you did your roast would be dark enough.

does she like the charbucks blackened beans?

ginny

roar

EagleScout
Darkish brown, shiny, with oil spots. I figure about 30 to 40 seconds more would have produced the charbucks blackened beans

Does she like the charbucks blackened beans?

Yes. she does like them, I am attempting to get roast like she is used to then start to slowly introduce her to un-charred beans so she can taste the flavors.

ginny
got it, many , many people like really dark beans but she is missing some great coffee not trusting your craft roaster ability.

thanks for joining us and keep us posted.

ginny

beach

BenKeith
Well, You have it a little easier than me. My wife likes Maxwell House Master Blend. She buys a large, about three pound container, she's the only one that will drink that crud so that last her a couple of months. Then ask why I don't roast her some that taste like that. I guess because for forty years until I got into roasting beans, that's all she ever drank, and now that's what she thinks a cup of coffee is supposed to taste like. I told her I may could roast some Robusta beans, and let them sit in an open container in the garage for six months and might get something close, but wouldn't waste an effort trying.

I've roasted almost every origin in every manor possible and never had one she didn't go yuukk with, other than a couple she said was OK.

Yet, her friends and members of her garden club and stitching groups love getting together at our house because they say they get to try the most wonderful coffees, cappuccino's and lattes they've ever had. Go figure.

EagleScout
Thanks all, my journey to brew her a cup she likes better than charred beans has only just started.

Last night, made her another cup with a medium grind, she said i like this bean, not as much as the french roast, but I like it.

Still going to try to get one french roast for her. I will let you know all how it turns out.

BenKeith
Grind it finer almost like espresso, or as fine as you can and not clog the filter so it won't go through. I find the finer I grind the more roast flavor it has. The larger the grind, the less of the roast and more of the origin flavors appear, but I never grind any as course as what most consider a medium grind. Mine ranges between a medium fine, to pretty dang fine for pour over.

EagleScout
Thanks all, I managed to get a good French roast. Used La Minta green coffee beans.

I did need to allow some of the ET heat to escape out the back of the hottop by lifting the back folder up a few inches during the roast.

Wife is happy camper now, the coffee beans look amazing and not black like Charbucks. Had some good flavors.

Now to slowly dial it back so we get more origin flavors =)

Jump to Forum: