Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,199
Newest Member: WyldGrind
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Stir Crazy Build
Tony_C
I finally got around to working on my new Stir Crazy roaster today. A huge "Thank You" shout out to LLS for her gift of awesome materials, and build inspiration.

After removing the plastic stir shaft, I decided to try something different with the stir bar, and replaced it with a couple of metal skewers. I gave the design a test with a half pound of greens and it worked pretty well. They rolled the beans around pretty nicely rather than pushing the mass around.
Tony_C attached the following images:
1_11.jpg 2_9.jpg 3_8.jpg

Tony_C
For the spacers, I am going to try a different approach on collecting the chaff with a lower inner ring. The hopes are that when the chaff is blowing around inside it will fall between the rings, but of course I won't really know until I give it a test run. I still need to vent the outer ring to allow for airflow. I attached the two rings together to keep the inner one in place, and make it faster to remove when the roast is complete. I need to pick up some high temp tubing for the top of the outer ring to help seal the ring to the turbo oven, and I'm going to add some to the bottom of the inner ring to seal it against the roaster.
01_1.jpg 02_1.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

LongLeafSoaps
Looking good Tony_C! Have you been able to roast with it yet? How well does the chaff climb over the top of the inner ring?
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Tony_C
LongLeafSoaps wrote:

Looking good Tony_C! Have you been able to roast with it yet? How well does the chaff climb over the top of the inner ring?

Well I hadn't, as I still needed to do a few things to it first, but you twisted my arm. So, I had 1/2 lb of Nicaraguan and a 1/2 lb of Guatemalan left over, and decided to take it out for a test run. I used a oven thermometer attached to the TO and ran a thermocouple probe under the rings close to the bottom of the popper. It wasn't in the beans, but close to it to get at least a base temp reading. Probably going to drill the bottom and RTV the probe to the bottom.

My first test run with the Nicaraguan was my first time ever using a turbo oven. I preheated to 300, dumped the beans, and the temps dropped to around 250. It took a while to climb but I slowly got temps back up. It seems like the drying went longer than it should have, but I soon got it up to 375. I figured I should have preheated to 350, and let the it sit at that temp for a nit before dumping. I never heard FC at all, but watched the color changing pretty evenly. I pulled during SC, and it end up being over a 20 minute roast.

As for the chaff, the lower inner ring definitely worked. I had a nice pile of chaff between the rings after the roast. I could probably could have drilled some holes in the top of the inner ring to let the chaff get through easier, but it seems to work pretty good. I'm waiting for my silicone tubing to show up to seal both the top of the outer ring to the TO, and seal the bottom of the inner ring to the popper floor.
01_2.jpg 02_2.jpg 03_1.jpg 04_1.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

Tony_C
I roasted the Guatemalan right after to get more of a feel of the TO. I preheated to 350, and it dropped to 300. I was able to get the temps up a little quicker this time, so a good preheat seems to be the key. The drying phase went quicker, bit unfortunately I still did not hear FC again. I know the TO noise, my fan noise and even beans stirring noise was a little loud, but I still should hear FC. I definitely can hear SC. I pulled it during SC and again, the lower inner ring collected the chaff nicely. It was an 18 minute roast.

I still need to work on the stir shaft some. I have a short socket and I';m going to change over to a deep socket. I pulled the bottom off of the popper to check out how it handled the heat, and think I need to do something for the motor since the socket was hot and it's sitting on a piece of plastic. Plus I want to RTV the socket to the new shaft, and socket to the motor hub if possible.

How is everyone else affixing the socket to both the motor hub and the shaft parts?

Also, for those who don't have a dump shaft on the chaff collectors, how do you remove the chaff before dumping the roast?

LongLeafSoaps
Tony_C wrote:

I roasted the Guatemalan right after to get more of a feel of the TO. I preheated to 350, and it dropped to 300. I was able to get the temps up a little quicker this time, so a good preheat seems to be the key. The drying phase went quicker, bit unfortunately I still did not hear FC again. I know the TO noise, my fan noise and even beans stirring noise was a little loud, but I still should hear FC. I definitely can hear SC. I pulled it during SC and again, the lower inner ring collected the chaff nicely. It was an 18 minute roast.

I still need to work on the stir shaft some. I have a short socket and I';m going to change over to a deep socket. I pulled the bottom off of the popper to check out how it handled the heat, and think I need to do something for the motor since the socket was hot and it's sitting on a piece of plastic. Plus I want to RTV the socket to the new shaft, and socket to the motor hub if possible.

How is everyone else affixing the socket to both the motor hub and the shaft parts?

Also, for those who don't have a dump shaft on the chaff collectors, how do you remove the chaff before dumping the roast?

Sounds like you are on your way to some great roasts! I usually pre-heat at 350 for about 8 minutes, dump my beans, and then turn the heat up to 400 to get the machine back up to temp (not sure if that is un-necessary or not...)

What I thought of doing with mine to keep the chaff between the rings while dumping my beans into the cooling tray, was to use a silicone pie crust protector like the one I have here:

http://www.bedbat...oCOiXw_wcB

I figured if I attach it to either the inner or outer ring w/RTV, and make some sort of a door for the chaff to get dumped after a roast. I haven't gotten that far w/mine yet, and blow cool air into the stir crazy base to cool my beans down...not ideal, but they are still cool within 2-3 minutes, then I just scoop them out =D
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Tony_C
LongLeafSoaps wrote:
...What I thought of doing with mine to keep the chaff between the rings while dumping my beans into the cooling tray, was to use a silicone pie crust protector like the one I have here:

I figured if I attach it to either the inner or outer ring w/RTV, and make some sort of a door for the chaff to get dumped after a roast. I haven't gotten that far w/mine yet, and blow cool air into the stir crazy base to cool my beans down...not ideal, but they are still cool within 2-3 minutes, then I just scoop them out =D

Hmmm... that makes me think... What about if something like that could be attached to the bottom the rings, so that when you are done, you could lift the rings off, taking the chaff with it. I may try it with aluminum foil to test it the next time. What do you think?

Tony_C
By the way, I tried the Guatemalan this morning and am very impressed with the flavor. So much more evenly roasted than my last roast of the same bean previously with the stove top method. AND being hands free, as well as being able to watch the roast as it progressed was so productive.

LongLeafSoaps
Tony_C wrote:

LongLeafSoaps wrote:
...What I thought of doing with mine to keep the chaff between the rings while dumping my beans into the cooling tray, was to use a silicone pie crust protector like the one I have here:

Hmmm... that makes me think... What about if something like that could be attached to the bottom the rings, so that when you are done, you could lift the rings off, taking the chaff with it. I may try it with aluminum foil to test it the next time. What do you think?

Oh, hey...I think you may be onto something there.....that sounds a bit easier to me! How about some window screen attached with the RTV silicone, and a few pieces of the sheet metal attached in about 3 places to keep the two rings rigidly together? Thanks! I think that this is a great idea! ThumbsUp
Edited by LongLeafSoaps on 11/16/2015 4:12 PM
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
Tony_C wrote:

By the way, I tried the Guatemalan this morning and am very impressed with the flavor. So much more evenly roasted than my last roast of the same bean previously with the stove top method. AND being hands free, as well as being able to watch the roast as it progressed was so productive.

I really like being able to watch the roast progress through the glass lid...and yes, I have found the roast to be amazingly even
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
Oh, wait...I already attached my inner and outer rings together! I think I will try the screen on the bottom tomorrow if I have time...
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Koffee Kosmo
See post 44 and 47 of my version 1 KKTO build for an idea about chaff extraction
However it was another members idea that I changed a little to suit

http://forum.home...owstart=40

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
LongLeafSoaps
Koffee Kosmo wrote:

See post 44 and 47 of my version 1 KKTO build for an idea about chaff extraction
However it was another members idea that I changed a little to suit

http://forum.home...owstart=40

KK

Thanks for the link kk!
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Koffee Kosmo
Not a problem I live for this stuff

It's a very simple design and it will work if applied correctly

KK
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

Tony_C
Okay KK, a great idea. Now, building off that design, I saw SOMEWHERE (which I've searched and cant find Shock ) someone used a metal garbage disposal tailpiece I believe to remove chaff from their TO/SC roaster. A flanged 90 degree elbow. (Unfortunately, all I can find online are the plastic ones.) I haven't modded my TO, so I worry about the loss of heat during the roast, and want to contain as much as possible. So adding that and by capping the end, and using small vent hole, chaff could be possibly sent into it. Maybe? Thoughts?

Koffee Kosmo
It is not a closed system and will always have some degree of heat loss
but I get your point of the less the better

KK

Tony_C
I found the example of the Chaff Tube I was talking about installed on a springform:

home.ptd.net/~dwfarr/chaffdrain_files/image014.jpg

home.ptd.net/~dwfarr/chaffdrain_files/image010.jpg

home.ptd.net/~dwfarr/chaffdrain_files/image006.jpg

home.ptd.net/~dwfarr/chaffdrain_files/image008.jpg

LongLeafSoaps
Tony_C wrote:

I found the example of the Chaff Tube I was talking about installed on a springform:

Hey...look at that Grin that looks like it would work great, especially if you sent it to a cyclone!
Carpe Diem With Coffee

allenb
I agree, great looking setup and a perfect example of creative re-purposing.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Tony_C
Still going to try the lift off method first, then maybe try this.

Jump to Forum: