Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
05/14/2019 1:46 AM
I just roasted 500g of Mocha Mattari -- it's on it's third day of rest. Should be cracking into it tomorrow AM and I can't wait!

John Despres
05/12/2019 2:51 PM
Good evening! What's roasting? Yemen Mocha Mattari in my cup today.

snwcmpr
05/12/2019 5:59 AM
Hey Ed. BBQ grill

homeroaster
05/11/2019 1:47 PM
Hey, y'all! The Homeoroaster here. What's hot that I need to look at? pouring

allenb
05/11/2019 7:54 AM
Hi nano and welcome to HRO! I would post your message in HUGS which is near the end of the Discussion Forum list.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,969
Newest Member: stratocasterman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Source for worm gears?
mrn
Does anyone know a good source of large, coarse worm gears?

Searching the web isn't easy - mostly machine shops and very nicely machines worms show up.

I could perhaps weld one up using split ring lock washers on a shaft, but that might not be the best.

My fall-back is taking a worm gear out of an old hand-crank winch, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone else has found a good source.
Something like this one:

www.sweetmarias.com/roasters_sample/burner_and_gears.JPG

Thanks,
M.

EddieDove
Give me some sort of idea of size, if possible. I have some contacts in industrial steel fabrication and they may know ...
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoast...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
Coffeenut
M,

Don't know what you plan to do, but if you're looking to replicate a sample roaster like the one you showed, an alternative to the worm gear would be to mount the drive motor direct to the drum through that upper case. That would allow you to bypass bypass the worm gear design. I've seen sample roasters done that way without the worm gear.

Rick

mrn
eodove wrote:
Give me some sort of idea of size, if possible. I have some contacts in industrial steel fabrication and they may know ...

Eddie - thanks, - I'm thinking of a coarse worm gear that could turn a #40 chain type gear. The worm should be 3/8 - 1/2 inch deep. Perhaps 1/2 inch between "teeth". I figure I can work with almost anything that is deep enough to push the gear. Something like in the picture, would work, but wide and deep are the biggest criteria.

My plan is to make a cylinder drum with a "cone" and 2" opening on each end. The 2" tubing would run on brass bushings. The drum would tip forward to dump. The rear 2" tube would have a drive gear on it. These chain gears are cheap and meant to go on a 2" hub. There are lots of tooth sizes to allow me to customize the drum rotation speed. I would control air (vaccum or blow - haven't decided) out the back tube. I'd sample and TC through the front tube. My whole drum would be non-perforated keeping chaft out of the insides.

I wanted to keep the motor away from the drum and fixed to the base. I also wanted flexibilty on motors, depending what I have or could pick up cheap. The worm gear appears to work well for the commercial units.

M.

Jump to Forum: