Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,479
Newest Member: Megaomgchen
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roaster: Gene Cafe
misterdoggy
Well went back to my original success of
5 minutes warmup 149C
to FC 243c which was before 12 minutes but this time didn't hear it until
12.6 and went
3.5 minutes reducing to 232c with a minute to cool before taking out to fast track
the cooling, but right away I saw some grains had little burns on them.

Hmmm....

I'm thinking go completely back to the first success and do it not by ear but by the same times and temperatures as the first success. Exactly at 12 minutes reduce temp and see how that goes.

Frustrating ...

http://www.posterclassics.com
misterdoggy
I am trying different methods with the Gene now

slightly lower temperature 238 instead of 243 to FC and then 4 minutes instead of 3.5 after FC and other variations to get the job done

Even the local Roaster said she has a hard time with Harara beans to get them a consistent color.

I noticed some are slightly burnt while some are slightly undercooked. What does that mean to the experienced Roaster

http://www.posterclassics.com
John Despres
Ah, you're eye cupping your roasts... Ethiopia coffees will tend to be uneven roasts as will Yemens and other dry processed beans.

Continue playing. You're on the right track and getting to know your roaster is key.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
Clifford
I have been allowing the Gene's cooling process to finish, then put the beans into an enamel ceramic metal pan to absorb more heat, then I package immediately to minimize oxidation. Is this good enough, or do I have to build a separate cooling system ??
May the Force be with your cup

bjanis
Have had my Gene since 2007.. Heater lasted about 5 yrs... got new heater from Tim and that went bad in a year. Called Tim up this week and he said he is no longer with Gene because of the heater issues. He did find me a heater and sent it...Batch Roasters will repair them if you send them to them , heater replacement is $89 plus shipping.. so I be looking for a new roaster. Very disturbing as I love the Gene.

ginny
I am sure if you look around on eBay or some of the coffee forums you can find old Gene Cafes cheap for parts.

-g

trickydicky2
Hi folks. I've had a gene 6 months now and loving roasting and blending my own coffees, mainly for espresso based drinks plus some aeropress now and again

After some experimentation and critical feedback from others more experienced than me I have settled on a roast profile as follows, with a 150g charge:

#0 - preheat empty roaster 6min, 225C/437F
#1 - add beans, approx 8-9min, 245C/473F, until beans just approaching or at first crack
#2 - 1min, 240C/464F
#3 - 30sec, 235C/455F
#4 - 30sec, 230C/446F
#5 - 1-2min, 225C/437F, until desired colour achieved. Total roast time about 12min
Cool - E stop, dump and fan cool in steel trays, 4min

(If I'm doing several roasts I usually roast back to back after first roast, recharging the chamber as soon as first roast is dumped into cooling tray. I have matched the preheat stage on first roast to temp at end of roast)

Roast level is medium, beans don't get smoky or hit second crack

The reason for this profile is I tried using various slower roast profiles but found I was getting a baked taste to more or less degree. The current profile is the least bakey. Reason for the tapering after first crack is to reduce the rate of temperature rise to give development time... Body, sweetness, positive roasted flavours

Observations so far are that this profile seems to produce more inter-bean colour variation than the slower profiles previously used. Shows up most with unevenly graded beans or mixed varieties. Tend to therefore post-blend for better evenness. Pretty happy with the taste results. Clear origin characters and nice body and balance, tending towards a brighter style. However still not as good as commercially roasted speciality coffees (I live in Sydney Australia; there are some fantastic local roasters). Not sure if my results are as good as it gets with a gene or if I can improve further

Has anyone else tried something along these lines and have views, positive or negative, or any suggestions please?

Thanks all

John Despres
Dicky2,

In 5 or 6 years of GC roasting, I never tried anything quite like that, but it certainly looks good to me.

If you're looking for more ideas of where and how to play, drop your temps lower at 1st cack and make notes.

Have fun!

J
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
trickydicky2
Thanks for the suggestion John. Will give it a try BBQ grill

Jump to Forum: