You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,631
Newest Member: arlex
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roaster: Gene Cafe
misterdoggy
Tasted the coffee day after and had this note in comparison to the very same beans roasted at the local coffee roaster

1. Mine was "stronger" tasting

They roast at 185C/385F straight all the way thru in a giant Roaster

Could it be the fact that I am roasting at a higher temp that its bringing out stronger body or that I can cut down a little bit of the time after the FC to make it slightly milder like we like it ?

http://www.posterclassics.com
John Despres
Now it may get confusing...

Your local roaster is measuring bean temperature. Your Gene Cafe is measuring drum temperature.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
misterdoggy

John Despres wrote:
Now it may get confusing...

Your local roaster is measuring bean temperature. Your Gene Cafe is measuring drum temperature.

John

If I want it a little less strong what would I need to do ? after FC Roast instead of 3.5m try less ?

Or any other suggestions. I will eventually try everything over time, but its always great to get tips :)

John Despres
Hard to say, Bruce.

What is your definition of strong when comparing your roast to the local roaster's?

I also wonder how fresh the local roaster's coffee is. Yours may be 5 days fresher, meaning his is still fresh but perhaps a little more mellowed with rest. Perhaps your stronger coffee is brighter with a little more tang or acidity? Is that too strong? Maybe yours needs more rest?

One more difference in flavor is you're roasting with a hybrid drum/air roaster. It will tend to roast more like a drum, but the influence of hot air will make yours a brighter coffee.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

misterdoggy
John,

Wow this morning's coffee was FANTASTIC !! 2nd day after rest it is absolutely wonderful.

YOu are right. My coffee is brighter and tangier, as we drink Cafe Latte's in the morning (like the rest of the population) and I needed less coffee to make it the strength I like. But the taste was wonderful.

What luck, to find nice people like you to help, and to fall on an excellent profile to roast which worked 3rd time out.

Im in business :)

John Despres
That's great, Bruce! Have you heard first crack yet?

I'm delighted to help and things are beginning to work out.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

seedlings
Bruce, if you're pulling espresso shots, give the coffee several days more rest... 4+ days will really help the 'spro.

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

misterdoggy
A new variable has entered the game which is that with home roasting the settings on my grinder new to be changed to have the pour be the same.

I noticed that my roast flowed faster and I will have to grind finer.

But my roast is brighter and more flavors have come out

John Despres
The next thing to do will be to roast 4 batches in one afternoon and then drink equally from each batch so they all last for many days to compare the developments as they rest.

Brew, drink, make notes, repeat. Have fun.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

bvwelch
It is amazing how some coffees get better with age- I like the method which as been attributed to Ray-O, but I picked up from Brett-- put the fresh roast in mason jars- pick a size that matches your batch size-- close them up loosely over night, then tighten them down next morning. Date them, and stick them in back of cupboard. Try some at 1 week, then 2 weeks, etc. Try to just spoon beans from the top of the jar, don't disturb the whole jar-full. The theory is they stay 'submerged' in CO2 and stay fresher longer.

misterdoggy
Roasted some more today

First with the "warmup" profile for 5 min at 300f then 470 and so on and got the same reliable results.

Then while the cannister was hot, I just ramped it to 470 and see what happens, with FC at 10 minutes lowered the heat for 3.5 but it wasn't enough as some slight burn marks on some of the beans so it was too fast too much. I did notice popping using the cardboard mod on the front and now am tuned to the pop which were greater louder faster with the ramp up method rather than the slow buildup.

Since we like our coffee with the light brown milk chocolate color I think getting there on the slow boat is more advised.

I will continue to fool around, but warm up then ramp to 470 seems to get best results so far.

John Despres
It sounds like you're on your way to understanding your roaster, Bruce!

Now it's tweaking time. Which will never end, by the way.

It's fun, eh?

John

Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy
big question ?

Cooling

I leave the beans in for 1 minute on COL and take out and put in a large flat pan outside where the temp is very cool.

Can you cool the beans too fast ?

John Despres
No, in general the faster you cool them, the better. However, I may occasionally use the roaster's cooler to put a finish on the beans, but that's usually after I learn that bean, but not for every bean, either

John
Edited by John Despres on 03/28/2010 2:42 PM
Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy
Cooling stops the roasting process.

So its 1/2 dozen of one and 6 of the other

Either you incorporate the time to cool in the roaster actually roasting slower and slower, or you roast to the point and cool fast to stop.

not too complicated :)

John Despres

misterdoggy wrote:
Cooling stops the roasting process.

So its 1/2 dozen of one and 6 of the other

Either you incorporate the time to cool in the roaster actually roasting slower and slower, or you roast to the point and cool fast to stop.

not too complicated :)

You got it.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy
OK New Question arises ?? I have roasted the same way as the 1st success and it looks the same as the first roast, but does not look the same color when I make coffee ?????? Its darker and more bitter. I dialed the grinder finer to have the same volume come out, but the color is no longer caramel but darker.

Should I roast for less time after FC. I was at 3.5 after FC. Or should I try a lower temp than 470 up to FC. ??

Any help would be appreciated.

John Despres
Make only one change at a time, Bruce, and see what the differences are. With only one change, you can go back to what you had before a lot easier. And if your one change worked, then you know, but while two changes may not give you success, which change was the problem?

A lower temp may work, but track your changes carefully. Your Gene Cafe is higher powered than mine, so I can only guess.

Did you use different greens this time? Did you preheat the same?

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy
Same beans, I tried to do exactly the same as the first success.

I did notice that it went to FC faster for some reason.

1st 5min at 300F

then to 470 for Fc (which was faster for some reason)

then to 449 3.5

then 1 min cool and E stop to very cool

Same beans

Color looked the same but pours darker for some reason

gene
You said:
"?????? Its darker and more bitter. I dialed the grinder finer to have the same volume come out, but the color is no longer caramel but darker".

That has happened in the past to me too. By dialing the grind finer can cause the color to be darker and more bitter if you are usng the same extraction time. More surface is exposed, that is a given.
You will need to shorten your extraction time if you're grinding finer.

Your roast may be ok since you used exactly same roasting time, volume and settings.

Jump to Forum: