You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,632
Newest Member: jeep02tj
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roaster: Gene Cafe
Mikelo

EddieDove wrote:
Checking the Heating Ability of the Roaster
If your roaster doesn't seem to be heating properly, or you just want to check it, there is a simple test you can perform. With the Gene Cafe completely cold ( at about room temperature ) and empty,

Just burnt my spacers following these directions literally and running
it without the chamber. The chamber has to be in the roaster. The
manual mentions this, but not prominently either.

EddieDove
The language has been edited to be more clear.

Give Tim Skaling a call and he will help you out.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogsp...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
Mikelo
Thanks! Just received the spacers in the mail.
Tim is great.
Michael

misterdoggy
Hello to Eddie and Everyone at homeroasters !! First post on homeroasters as a complete newbie to home roasting.

Just want to say that I just ordered my Gene Cafe Roaster and will start roasting later this week. Thanks to this thread I decided to take the plunge, moreso in to home roasting, but also changed from buying a hottopB to the Gene.

I am pretty boring on the bean selection and stick with harara and sidamo and don't like them roasted too dark.

I hope I can get some advice here on how to do that

thanks to all and Hi

http://www.posterclassics.com
John Despres
Welcome, Mr D!

There are many Gene Cafe owners here who will be willing to help you out as well as many GC threads to look at.

You will love your new roaster! I love mine, that's for sure.ThumbsUp

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
misterdoggy

John Despres wrote:
Welcome, Mr D!

There are many Gene Cafe owners here who will be willing to help you out as well as many GC threads to look at.

You will love your new roaster! I love mine, that's for sure.ThumbsUp

John

thanks for the welcome John

I hope to post something tomorrow after playing with the GC

Any recommendations for Harara to get a medium roast not dark ?

John Despres
I'd suggest warming the roaster to 300F

Start your roast with a high setting of 470F

Immediately when you hear first crack drop to 449F

3:30 from the start of first, drum cool for 1:00

E stop and cool the beans externally.

Depending on what kind of power you have at home, first will come between 11:00 and 13:00 - This is all based on using a real stop watch as opposed to the backwards countdown timer on the roaster.

I hope this works out for you.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

misterdoggy

John Despres wrote:
I'd suggest warming the roaster to 300F

Start your roast with a high setting of 470F

Immediately when you hear first crack drop to 449F

3:30 from the start of first, drum cool for 1:00

E stop and cool the beans externally.

Depending on what kind of power you have at home, first will come between 11:00 and 13:00 - This is all based on using a real stop watch as opposed to the backwards countdown timer on the roaster.

I hope this works out for you.

John

Wow John,

Great advice and quick too. I'm in France so we have 230V so power should be no problem.

I will do my first roast tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

thanks
Bruce

seedlings
Bruce, I can't help but ask if the "French" in French Roast is some kind of misnomer?

CHAD
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

John Despres
Awe, Bruce, I'm jealous! I understand the 230V heating elements are better than the 120V units.

Could I prevail on you for a small favor, please? Run a cold roaster to 482F and record the amount of time it takes to reach full temp. It may be quite quick, I don't know, and it may affect your roast times.

Thanks!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy

John Despres wrote:
Awe, Bruce, I'm jealous! I understand the 230V heating elements are better than the 120V units.

Could I prevail on you for a small favor, please? Run a cold roaster to 482F and record the amount of time it takes to reach full temp. It may be quite quick, I don't know, and it may affect your roast times.

Thanks!

John

John,

Be a pleasure to do that for you John. I understand from your posts that this is a way to measure the machines capacity. It should be interesting.

I know when it comes to coffee machines, there's a lot more umph in a 230V machine, kinda like using a devoted 220v current in the states.

misterdoggy

seedlings wrote:
Bruce, I can't help but ask if the "French" in French Roast is some kind of misnomer?

CHAD

Chad,

You're asking the wrong guy. I hardly understand what "misnomer" means let alone French Roast :)

Seriously, I have no friggin idea as I am new to the different types of roasting techniques. I have seen lots of machines in Italy and France and have read about poppin and so on, but never a french roast.

Many years ago I was in Jamaica visiting some Reggae Band friends and went to a Coffee plantation owned by an English Musician (I do not want to drop names) anyhow, while I was there in the Blue Mountains, the beans were laid out in large flat areas I guess to dry or something as I did not really pay attention, because my interest in coffee was minimal at the time.

Anyhow, they prepared coffee roasting in the following fashion. They had a Oil barrel or large Can (metal) so to speak and had it set on a "spit" over a fire. the Barrel had a handle on the end and they would keep turning it over the fire.

Eventually the beans roasted. I remember, having a fresh cup of coffee under some trees full of green parrots. It was a wonderful experience, maybe enhanced by the local tobacco (if you catch my drift). That was back in the 1970's.

misterdoggy
John,

OK got the Gene and ran it empty to see how long it takes to get to 482F/250C and it was 4:10

Would you adjust your recommendations to me based on this info ? It seems fast, I was surprised to see how fast it gets up to hot temperatures.

There are 2 tiny rubber round things which are in a plastic pouch look like a stopper or something, but don't know where they go ?
Edited by misterdoggy on 03/24/2010 7:24 AM

misterdoggy
Well tried 2 Roasts and utter failure with no inkling of what to do :(

I preheat 300F/150C for about 5 minutes (from start) then tried going to 470F and hang around there until I hear the 1st Crack, but I hear no crack and so miss the cue !!

How can you judge by color without hearing ? Then the beans were a mix of colors.

I'm really lost here......

Is there a way to do it by time increments ?

seedlings
Bruce, can you smell the coffee roasting? (I haven't used a genecafe.) When first crack comes, you should notice a distinct change in the roast aroma, and the beans will be varied in color, but generally light brown.

Do you think you were unable to hear because of the machine noise, or because you haven't listened to coffee cracks before? First crack will sound like popcorn, but muted, or not as loud. Second crack will sound like "crispy rice cereal in milk," that is to say, more of a crackling (twigs snapping). Also, don't stop AT first crack, but continue for several more minutes until you've reached desired darkness.

Does the Genecafe have any preset profiles?

CHAD
Edited by seedlings on 03/24/2010 2:01 PM
Roaster: CoffeeAir II 2# DIY air roaster
Grinder: Vintage Grindmaster 500
Brewers: Vintage Cory DCU DCL, Aeropress, Press, Osaka Titanium pourover

ahedges
Hey there, I am a brand new Gene Cafe owner and a fairly new roaster in general. I have trouble hearing the cracks so far. i have bee able to detect the start of first crack so far but have been missing the sound of second so I have been adjusting my ways of roasting. I am roasting with a vent tube out my basement window and have noticed that smoke starts to increase just before first crack. Maybe a minute or so has been my experience so for. Then it starts to thicken again right before second. I know that because I can smell when 2nd crack is coming form my other roaster. there is a definite "deepening" of the smoke aroma if that makes sense (i am getting some smoke back in the window so that is how i smell it). it just changes, maybe more pungent. not sure how to describe it.
I dont know if this helps or not but maybe gives you a newbie perspective.

John Despres

misterdoggy wrote:
Well tried 2 Roasts and utter failure with no inkling of what to do :(

I preheat 300F/150C for about 5 minutes (from start) then tried going to 470F and hang around there until I hear the 1st Crack, but I hear no crack and so miss the cue !!

How can you judge by color without hearing ? Then the beans were a mix of colors.

I'm really lost here......

Is there a way to do it by time increments ?

Oh, noooo....

Bummer, Bruce.

First off, what is the failure? The beans were a mix of colors, but depending on the bean, that may be somewhat appropriate - what did you roast?

Which chaff collector did you get with the roaster? If it's the mid size one with no vent tube port, you can keep your ear near the screen and pay careful attention. First can be hard to her at first, but once you learn it get used to it, it'll be a lot easier. I can hear first from across the room after almost 3 years of using mine.

Now, then, it seems you have pretty powerful machine and will get to a finished roast pretty quickly. As Andrew said, watch for smoke, just prior to first, you may get a slight wisp, but heading into 2nd you'll get smoke for real.

As CHAD suggested, the smell changes - I think it grows sharper as first is nearing.

Another help for us would be for you to tell us what time you ended the roast. I'm going to guess you didn't hit 1st at all. If you keep notes of times and temperatures while you roast, you'll have a lot of information to share with us.

For the time being, our objective will be to get you hear 1st crack. How do you feel about sacrificing a batch? Don't take it out of the roaster until you really see smoke...

As to color, it's kind of hard to tell through the glass in the drum. The beans will appear darker than they really are, so it may not be the best way for the moment. That said, I guess I'd suggest when the roast looks like coffee, you may be done...

The rubber things are the bumpers for your chaff sweeper in the drum - that little flap that flips back and forth; that's the chaff sweeper. They dry out and fall apart - the ones in the plastic are spares. You may need to order some more in 2-3 years and they are available online.

Okay, that's enough for now... I hope it's helpful.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy
OK John,

Did a Roast that looks pretty good to the eye although the beans didn't particularly smell like coffee at the end but more like toast.

I had my wife whose got better sense of smell and hearing than I by my side to help me. Here are the statistics

Question: How soon after roasting can you grind and drink ?

Facts:
250gr Eithiopian Moka Harara
Set the roast for 16.5 minutes

preheat cycle 5 minutes to 149c/300f

it took 2.3 minutes to arrive at 149c/300f

5 minute mark pushed to 243c/470f

11 minute mark reasches 243c/470f

Wife says she hears FC at 12.6 minute mark ?

lower to 232c/449f at FC and wait 3.5 minutes

at 16.1 minutes E cool for a minute and take out and Manually cool

note: in comparison with the color of the same beans roasted by my local roaster there visually is no difference. The smell of the local roasters beans smell more like coffee than mine but that might be due to the fact that mine need to cool.

Proof will be in the pudding. I'm not really positive about FC as I did not hear it but my wife insists that she did.

question: how much chaff is normal after when its cooling as there is quite a bit. probably normal

how soon can i drink it :)

thanks
Bruce
Edited by misterdoggy on 03/25/2010 5:18 AM

John Despres
Ahhhh. Mmmm. Coffee.

I'll bet that coffee smells better today, eh?

Drink it now. And take notes. Drink it tomorrow and take notes. And the next day. Realistically, it should rest a few days. For the first 24-36 hours, the fresh roasted coffee is off-gassing carbon dioxide. All the while, it's also going through further complex changes. I suggest you start drinking within a day of roasting and take notes over 5-6 days. You'll notice the changes and refine your drinking schedule.

Dry process coffees produce a lot of chaff.

Next roast, skip the warming/drying phase and set the roaster to 243c/470f right at the beginning. Let me know what happens.

Have fun!
Respect the bean.
John Despres

misterdoggy
John,

I roasted this morning and it already smells better !!!

I will try skipping the warmup like you say and see what happens.

We've got a La Marzocco GS3 and Mazzer Kony E to give these beans the final test.

I can't thank you enough for all the time you have taken.

thanks
Bruce

Jump to Forum: