Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

peveleth
· 06/05/2020 3:10 PM
For Gene Cafe Roasters I have an older Gene Cafe Roaster. Temp fluctuates probably showing age. Question: For recent owners of the newer Gene Cafe Roaster, your opinions?

her63
· 06/02/2020 9:10 AM
keep healthy bro, love roaster form home

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,595
Newest Member: peveleth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Coffee Roaster: Gene Cafe
EddieDove
I've only cleaned the drum a handful of times and that was when the buildup started to turn the glass brown. I used Permatex Fast Orange (the one without pumice) and it worked quite well.

I just don't know about getting a bean temp probe in there. The other folks here that are much better at modifying things might be able to help with that.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

The South Coast Coffee Roaster
vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogsp...gspot.com/

http://southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com
mrhoads
Hi, I am new to roasting and new to the Gene. I have roasted about 10 times and the coffee is great. My first attempt was in the house. I set it to max temp and 18 minutes. It created so much smoke that my neighboors were going to call the fire dept. I went running out side and told them I was just roasting coffee. I have started roasting to 470 degrees F. That seems to give me a consistent roast that I like. I am interesting in reading how others determine when it is done.c:1

EddieDove
mrhoads,

If you have not already, start by reading this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-V...ideV2.html

Also, you can download some Gene Cafe Profiles here on Homeroasters.org in the Downloads section.

Of course, we are always ready to answer specific questions you may have.
Edited by EddieDove on 03/27/2008 9:11 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

bjanis

eodove wrote:
I just don't know about getting a bean temp probe in there. The other folks here that are much better at modifying things might be able to help with that.

My thought is hooking up a display to the exiting air probe to get an idea of the bean temp. Seems to me :( that the temp should be higher out going because of the beans. Thus a correlation could be made as to the bean temp.

Don't know how I lived without fresh coffee. :)

c:3c:1c:3c:1

mrhoads

eodove wrote:
mrhoads,

If you have not already, start by reading this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/roasting-V...ideV2.html

Also, you can download some Gene Cafe Profiles here on Homeroasters.org in the Downloads section.

Of course, we are always ready to answer specific questions you may have.

Thanks, that looks great. I just set it annd forgot it untill it got to 470. I never thought of changing the temp. Will try these on the next roast. Thanks for the response.

bjanis

bjanis wrote:

eodove wrote:

My thought is hooking up a display to the exiting air probe to get an idea of the bean temp. Seems to me :( that the temp should be higher out going because of the beans. Thus a correlation could be made as to the bean temp.

Don't know how I lived without fresh coffee. :)

c:3c:1c:3c:1

Well after thinking about this some more , it's not going to work.

mrhoads
Boy do I feel stupid. I downloaded Roasting_logs_with_profiles.zip. and I attempted to follow the Costa Rican profile. I was using 238g of Costa Rican coffee in a Gene Cafe roaster.
1. I turned it on 15 minutes and 300 to preheat. That was when I realized I was way out of my depth. How do I stop it at 300 and add the beans. Well I messed through that and by the time I got the beans in it the temp was 150. OK, so on I go. I got it restarted and let it go for 5 minutes at 300. This was when I realized that my timer counts down not up. OK, after many roasts I should have realized that. After 5 minutes I changed the temp to 435.

2. I then realized that my Gene does not heat up any where as fast as the chart. So I waited untill it got to 435 and let it stay there for 1.5 minutes. I was doing 238g and the outside temp was 77F. Should I follow time or temp?

3. Then I changed the temp to 460. Again it took me much longer to get to 460.

4. Now I was really confused, more than before if that is possible. It said 460 F until 10:30, 482 F until 10:30 ( note they both say to 10:30?) Then it says 460 F to the end of roast which was 13:00 on the chart.

Also confused by the Roasting log that said 1st crack 12:40 and roast stoped 14:45. Was that time of day since it said DUMP at 13:00.

If I can get any clairifications I will try this again but I will create a count down time chart.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any place that I can learn more about when to change the temp and to what temp or is this just trial and error?

s:1

EddieDove

mrhoads wrote:
Boy do I feel stupid. I downloaded Roasting_logs_with_profiles.zip. and I attempted to follow the Costa Rican profile. I was using 238g of Costa Rican coffee in a Gene Cafe roaster.

Don't feel stupid ... we all have to learn. I roasted 224 pounds of coffee in my Gene Cafe, which was accomplished by roasting 425 batches; I kinda go familiar with it. ;)

The notes in those logs were for my reference, and I decided to share them in the event that they would help others. I never really wrote them with the intent of being published so I apologize for any trouble or angst.

The times in the profiles are elapsed time as depicted by the chart at the end where the temperatures are recorded with the simple note of "Bump" or "Drop". If in the "Note" column, you see a time like "9:36," and a temperature recorded in the "Temp" column, then it means the roaster reached 460ºF at 9 minutes 30 seconds.

You may wish to purchase an inexpensive "count up" timer and hit start on it when you hit start on the Gene Cafe. Until I got my RK Drum, I used the "Stop Watch" function on an old digital watch. When it died, I got another at Wal-Mart for $6.

mrhoads wrote:1. I turned it on 15 minutes and 300 to preheat. That was when I realized I was way out of my depth. How do I stop it at 300 and add the beans. Well I messed through that and by the time I got the beans in it the temp was 150. OK, so on I go. I got it restarted and let it go for 5 minutes at 300. This was when I realized that my timer counts down not up. OK, after many roasts I should have realized that. After 5 minutes I changed the temp to 435.

Press and hold the red dial for at least two (2) seconds - the "immediate stop" mode will be initiated resulting in an “E” being displayed in the temperature area and “StP” being displayed in the time area. The drum will finish the revolution (or perhaps one more) and stop in position for removal from the appliance.

mrhoads wrote:2. I then realized that my Gene does not heat up any where as fast as the chart. So I waited untill it got to 435 and let it stay there for 1.5 minutes. I was doing 238g and the outside temp was 77F. Should I follow time or temp?

Do the temperature test on your Gene Cafe to see how quickly it heats up. With the Gene Cafe completely cold ( at about room temperature ) and empty, set the temp at 482ºF and the time at 15 minutes or more. Start the roaster and track ( with a timer or stopwatch ) the temperature reading at intervals of no more than a minute and record how long it takes for the roaster to reach 482ºF; note this time when you hear the switch “click” and shut off the heat.

My roaster reaches 482ºF at the 5 minute mark, but others take a little longer; consensus seems to be that average is between 5 and 7 minutes. If your roaster takes substantially longer or never reaches 482ºF then I recommend you contact Tim Skaling (see “Spare / Replacement Parts and Repairs” in the review) and ask about service; he is very responsive. It is also a good idea to perform this test and record the results as a baseline for future reference. Ambient temperature does have an effect its rate of temperature increase, but it should do fine at 77ºF.

mrhoads wrote:3. Then I changed the temp to 460. Again it took me much longer to get to 460.

Again, test its rate of temperature increase. Then we will have a reference from which to adapt.

mrhoads wrote:4. Now I was really confused, more than before if that is possible. It said 460 F until 10:30, 482 F until 10:30 ( note they both say to 10:30?) Then it says 460 F to the end of roast which was 13:00 on the chart.

Also confused by the Roasting log that said 1st crack 12:40 and roast stoped 14:45. Was that time of day since it said DUMP at 13:00.

Typo. That should read, "460ºF until 10:30, 482ºF until 13:00, 460ºF until the end of roast."

First crack occurred at an elapsed time of 12 minutes 40 seconds. The note in the chart at 13:00 reads "Drop," which means to drop the temperature to 460ºF for the remainder of the roast. The roast was ended at 14 minutes 45 seconds using the "immediate stop" function.

mrhoads wrote:If I can get any clarifications I will try this again but I will create a count down time chart.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there any place that I can learn more about when to change the temp and to what temp or is this just trial and error?

Again, a count up timer / stop watch makes this much easier and I believe helps you learn roasting a lot more quickly and thoroughly. Each roasting appliance is a bit different, so you will have to learn and adapt.

All of us are here and willing to answer your questions too. :)
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

mrhoads
Eddie,

Thanks so much, that makes me feel better. I will get a count up timer. I just tested it empty.
Start - 78
1 min - 264
2 min - 354
3 min - 402
4 min - 437
5 min - 462
6 min - 478
7 min - jumped between 476~480.

It must depend on the amount of beans also. So if I want to follow you profile as a guide should I try to stay closer to the temp or the time? Should I bump at the referenced temp?

Is the reason you changed temp at different times because of trial and error? Or is there something I should be looking for. ie: why 5 minutes at 300? Is this your experience or was there another reason for this temp and time. Also by the number of profiles you shared with us it must change by bean?

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Thanks so much.

Mike Rhoads

mrhoads
Eddie,

I read your review again and it answered my questions. I can't wait to try it again. Thanks again for all your insite.

Mike c:1

EddieDove
Anytime mrhoads! Feel free to contact me.

I hope you had a great labor day weekend and your ensuing week of labor ends up being a fruitful and profitable one.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

mrhoads
Just wanted to add this from my last roast I will try to upload it.

mrhoads
Just wanted to add this from my last roast I will try to upload it.

Ok, I don't know how to upload a XL spread sheet or anything?

bjanis
Fast Orange cleaner smooth is hard to find in this neck of the woods. Auto Zone has the pumice type and not the smooth. Looking at it, it has Aloe and Lanolin in it. Keeps your mouth soft. :)
I have found this in the area, from Pet Smart contains no Aloe or LAnolin, and has an oxygen action in it too.

What do you all think of this for a cleaner????

Nature's Miracle Orange-Oxy Power
Edited by EddieDove on 03/27/2008 9:16 PM

bjanis
Just got some of this cleaner and it works as far as taking off the oil and crap. It does not remove the stain on the stainless steel divider in the middle.

I pulled the middle divider out only to crack the glass on the handle side. Now that is upsetting. Guess that is why they say not to remove it. Looks like I might be able to use it till I get another.

EddieDove
OOPS! Now that is frustrating!

Funny you mention AutoZone ... that is where I bought the Fast Orange without Pumice.
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

bjanis
Guess I'll have to get the orange on the web.

Got an exploded parts list from Gene Cafe and it looks like the chamber should come apart somehow. Will wait for a responce from Tim to see what is going on. Hate to have to buy the whole chamber so soon. Glass cylinder is listed as a part so maybe it won't cost so much. I would think though that the baffle, divider, should be able to come out for cleaning and not break the glass while pulling it out. Just pulled it out with my fingers no tools involved. Maybe it is under warranty. That would be nice.

bjanis
Just talked with Tim @ Fresh Beans and WOW he is sending me a new chamber at cost.
s:1 s:1 s:1

c:3 c:3

bjanis
I tried a new roast profile for the GC. After visiting a roaster here in my neck of the woods http://www.whiffroasters.com/ and talking with him about roast profiles, I started doing the roasts faster. He (Dennis) starts out high heat and then lowers it after first crack, and finishes the roast in 15 min. So I started my roast out at 465, got the first (for different beans) around 10 to 11 min. and got into second crack, if going that far, in 13 to 14 min. By going up in heat fast, I found that first crack is more audible, lasts this way for about 1 min or so, and then you have a time till second crack starts to either pull there or go on past second. As for roast color I have found that by using the cool down that the CG has you get to the right color. It takes about 1 1/2 min to cool down to 300 and a total time of around 10 min to cool to 140. I haven't tried a fast cool down yet but will in the near future.
Not having the palate that some of you have and still yet, a sore mouth from my oral surgery, I feel that the taste and all that good stuff, is the same in the fast profile and the slow warm up profile I was using of Eddies. Hey I got the buleberries out of the Harrar.:)
Also I noticed that by using the cool down of the GC, that you coast into where you want in color or degree of roast. Glass has a 10% reflection factor, what you are seeing though the glass is lighter than where you think you are. So using the machine cool down period coasts you into the right place.
Just my humble observations after 33 roasts in the GC.

And for all those that are looking for Fast orange Smooth I found it at Tractor Supply. All of the auto stores around here had the pumice stuff.

c:3 c:3

EddieDove
Bryan,

Great post and keep it up. Someone has to pick up the baton on this one since I don't use the Gene Cafe anymore other than on rare occasions. Soon enough though, I am going to have a Hottop and Behmor too. I might have to pull the Gene Cafe out of mothballs and do some comparisons.

Something you might want to try: I had seen somewhere that someone was wrapping the glass part of the drum with aluminum foil (highly-reflective side facing in). I wonder about what results this may have.
Edited by EddieDove on 11/04/2007 5:07 PM
Respectfully,

Eddie Dove

Jump to Forum: