Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,203
Newest Member: Dave Tee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting Processes in the FreshRoast SR500
ginny
well, I need to ask you if you MUST roast right away? if not wait an hour and roast or until the darn thing cools.

are you in a hurry or do you need to back to back roasts?

I roast 10 ounces in my Hot Top, walk away after it dumps and come back when it's cool as I am not on any clock and it is not an issue. so many here have done mods to do back to back roasts.

if I wanted to roast for the masses I would get a big freaking roaster.

just curious m...

ginny

got a name?

cool

comfortableshoes
I have been using my machine/roasting as a moment to recharge and unplug my brain as I'm reading heavy research for my thesis. I read an hour, do a roast, read an hour, do a roast. Repeat until I finish my roasts for the week. I'm also roasting 6 different types of beans.

I've been testing out some new "ramps" to replace the copper ring in the bottom of the chamber. I managed to crack my chamber because I didn't put a gap into the ring at the top of one of the mesh tea balls. (A 3 inch mesh tea ball ripped in half, fits in perfectly with a little bending of the ring. A gap cut into the ring would have made it work and not crack my chamber.) Sigh.

comfortableshoesstudio.com
MPSAN
ginny wrote:

well, I need to ask you if you MUST roast right away? if not wait an hour and roast or until the darn thing cools.

are you in a hurry or do you need to back to back roasts?

I roast 10 ounces in my Hot Top, walk away after it dumps and come back when it's cool as I am not on any clock and it is not an issue. so many here have done mods to do back to back roasts.

if I wanted to roast for the masses I would get a big freaking roaster.

just curious m...

ginny

got a name?

cool

Great...well, I just wanted to know how long a delay should be for back-to-back roasts. I can wait an hour, that should not matter.

I guess I will see how much of a pain these back-to-back roasts are. I have looked at the Hot Top for a possible future roaster, but they say they are difficult to clean.
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

MPSAN
comfortableshoes wrote:

I have been using my machine/roasting as a moment to recharge and unplug my brain as I'm reading heavy research for my thesis. I read an hour, do a roast, read an hour, do a roast. Repeat until I finish my roasts for the week. I'm also roasting 6 different types of beans.

I've been testing out some new "ramps" to replace the copper ring in the bottom of the chamber. I managed to crack my chamber because I didn't put a gap into the ring at the top of one of the mesh tea balls. (A 3 inch mesh tea ball ripped in half, fits in perfectly with a little bending of the ring. A gap cut into the ring would have made it work and not crack my chamber.) Sigh.

Well, reading for an hour between roasts seems like it works for you. Grin

Anyway, regarding the rings...I had read about them, but during my first 3 minutes of low heat high fan, with the 5 second cool, I tilt the roaster front to back and left to right and right to left until there are no signs of beans hanging up. I do not tilt enough for any issues with damage to the top. This seems to work as I nave NEVER had a single bean hang up and burn, and seems to only be needed a few times while drying. During this time the top is still cool enough to do this.

comfortableshoes
The Roast Rwanda Inzovu Gasabo is worth the money, and made the purchase of their sampler worth it. This bean roasted to City/ City+ (It roasted very unevenly) is a cup full of juicy peaches and nectarines with a clear lemony finish, full juicy mouth feel and just a darn fine cup of coffee. I did NOT expect much from it. Beans scorched and it took forever to get moving well in the chamber (pre breaking it) The 1C never got rolling. It was a PITA to roast, but oh man, soooo good.

I used my standard flicking the machine to cool every 30 sec for 5 sec.
Hit yellow at 4:30, tan at 5, though this was hard to judge because the beans were very odd in the roaster. 1C at 5:15, and possible last at 7:30 when I finally ended it, afraid I'd hit 2C.

114g
Start: low H/high F yellow 4:30 tan 5:00
5:00 med H/high F 1C 5:15
6:00 high H/modulated f last C 7:30 heat off 7:30
7:30 cool for 30 seconds, then beans to my homemade cooling bucket for 3 min.

Final weight 99g for a change of 13.2% in weight.

Roast's tasting notes don't really give an accurate description of the flavors I'm tasting in my Hario V60 brewed cup. Sure there is some cocoa and milk chocolate,but the flavors of peach and nectarine dominate.

I might drink this entire pot before my wife even gets out of bed. It's that good.

comfortableshoes
I do not like moving my roaster around. I tried doing the shake shake thing and it just made me nervous. The ring works well enough but, of course I want better. The tea ball will work perfectly with a little bending to fit and a couple of slots or wedges cut into it. The roast that I did with it before breaking my chamber had nary a scorched bean, the beans moved perfectly, and it solved the issue.

So I'm going to grab another 3 inch tea ball on Monday, and adapt it properly for when my new chambers get here. The key is to cut a slot in the outer edge but not the whole way through the lip, as the ball won't hold in the chamber properly. There is a tea shop in Cambridge that I visit and they have a good assortment of cheapo tea balls and strainers.

MPSAN
OK, but as I said, I do not shake it but just lean it a bit...not much at all really.

Anyway, my 4th roast of the Colombian will be today, and that will finish it. Next I can try my Ethiopian.

OH, what sampler are you referring to in the above Rwanda Inzovu Gasabo? Was it Happy Mug?
Edited by MPSAN on 10/18/2015 8:22 AM

comfortableshoes
The sampler was from Roast Coffee and Tea. Supposedly Happy Mug has a similar bean but it's more of a tropical fruit taste. I wasn't overly excited about the sampler, as it contained 3 pounds from 2014 crops, so older beans, which have been uneven in how well and easy they roast. I definitely have to pay more attention to the older beans, but this Rwanda was good and a 2015 crop.

I was being hyperbolic with "shake shake" I know it's not a true shake, I"ve tried it, and don't like it. I'd rather not move my roast chamber/machine around, it just invites disaster.

MPSAN
OK...I guess Happy Mug is getting good reviews. I may have to try them when I am done with my Free 5# that I got when I bought my SR500.

I am going to roast the last of my Colombian now.

MPSAN
I want to update my post on how I make great Roasts with my SR500...

During my first 3 minutes of low heat high fan, with the 5 second cool, I tilt the roaster front to back and left to right and right to left until there are no signs of beans hanging up. I do not tilt enough for any issues with damage to the top. This seems to work as I nave NEVER had a single bean hang up and burn, and seems to only be needed a few times while drying. During this time the top is still cool enough to do this.

So, I put 4oz. by weight into the SR500.
Fan HIGH, Temp LOW and hit start.
At 5.4 on timer. I slide TEMP switch to cool and count to 5 while tilting as above.
I then go to LOW heat again and wait for 5.4 and go to cool and count to 5.
I then go to LOW heat again and this time go to 4.9 and go to cool and count to 5.
I then switch to LOW again and at 4.9 I switch to MEDIUM heat and let it go to 3.4. I did not go to cool so timer keeps counting down. Before it hits 3.4 you may hear a few first cracks.

At this point I switch temp to cool and then to HIGH Heat. It will go to 5.9, of coarse, and I turn the fan down to about 3 o'clock. Listen for Cracks. I then hit the COOL BUTTON at about 3.5 to 3.7, or whatever YOU decide depending on the final roast level. Make sure when hitting the FINAL COOL BUTTON that you remember to turn the FAN back all the way on HIGH.

SO, to summarize, as it is not that many steps.

4oz beans by weight.
Fan HIGH, Temp Low 30 seconds on 5 seconds cool.
Repeat.
Repeat but let it go 1 Minute and cool 5 seconds.
Repeat and let it go 1 more minute, do NOT cool and switch to Medium heat for 1.5 more minutes.
Then cool and go to HIGH HEAT with fan down to about 3 o'clock for another 2.4 to 2.7 minutes. Hit the COOL BUTTON and move Fan Dial to HIGH.

Keep in mind my Tilting for the first minute or so. This is easier and faster than it seems..

Basically Fan High, Temp LOW 5.4, 5.4, 4.9, (with 5 second cool each) and 2nd 4.9 switch to Medium heat (without going to cool) and let it go to 3.4. Then High heat, fan at 3 o'clock for final of 3.7 to 3.5.

I hope this makes sense.

LongLeafSoaps
MPSAN wrote:

I want to update my post on how I make great Roasts with my SR500...

I hope this makes sense.

Great explanation..I will try this today! Thanks! ThumbsUp
Carpe Diem With Coffee

MPSAN
Great...let us know how you do. I know this was wordy but you will see it is simple and fast. Also, when done I dump the roasted beans in a metal tray or baking pan so they cool in seconds.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Jump to Forum: