Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 1
Wisnu

Total Members: 6,202
Newest Member: Brad1969
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roasting Processes in the FreshRoast SR500
comfortableshoes
Drat I didn't make the link clickable. http://www.home-b...t3914.html

comfortableshoesstudio.com
MPSAN
Well, good info on that link, but I guess I need to figure out why I reach the start of FC at about 4.5 minutes. This was the 3 minutes of "drying" and the 1.5 minutes of Medium heat/High Fan.

I "could" try putting the beans in our oven first as a drying phase at 300 but I think that is going overboard. I believe I will grind some of this 2nd roast tomorrow AM to see how I did!
"If it Ain't Broke, Fix it 'til it is"!

comfortableshoes
So in my recent SM order I added a pound of Ethiopia Dry Process Yirg Adado Sulula at the last minute. Thinking this might be my last hurrah with Yirg coffees, as I've really not been able to nail the roast. I have to brag that tonight I did it. I nailed the roast for this Yirg to perfection and daaaayum is it tasty coffee. Right out of the roaster I tossed a few into the grinder to do a quick cupping. The smell of the dry coffee was sweet and smelled like BLUEBERRIES. I was really excited about it. I added the hot water and BOOM the sweet berry flavor continued. Then I slurped up a big spoonful, BAM, blueberries, super sweet, and a hint of cocoa. This is the tastiest coffee I've roasted so far. It will be an amazing treat tomorrow morning. I should have bought 5 pounds of it, because SM is now out.

Roast profile for the Ethiopia Dry Process Yirg Adado Sulula from Sweet Maria's
114g charge
Every 30 seconds I flicked to cool for 5 seconds until the 3.5 min mark.
Start with low heat/high fant. I switched to medium heat/high fan at 4.5 minutes. Switch to high heat/modulate fan at 5min 50 seconds. The crack lasted until 7.5minutes. I switched to the cooling cycle at 7min40seconds and moved the beans to my cooling bucket at 8min20 seconds.

Yellow 4min
Tan 4.5min
First Crack 5min 50 seconds Ending at 7.5min

Crack started off soft and was quickly rolling.

Anyway, I'm glad to have finally roasted a DP bean to perfection. Also this goes to show that buying a quality bean is worth it.

Glad to say I've now found a good "treat myself" coffee.

MPSAN
So, every 30 seconds you went to cool for 5 seconds for a total of 3.5 minutes, then at 4.5 minutes you went to medium? I guess I wonder what you did from 3.5 to 4.5 minutes?

I DO have an Ethiopian, but am sticking with this Colombian for 2 more roasts.

OH...I ground my second roast this AM. WOW was it good! I may add 12 or 18 seconds at the end, but this was good. My only "problem" is that I did the cool 5 second thing at 30, 30, and 1 minute thing then Medium for 1.5 minutes at 3 minutes. So, total was 4.5 minutes at the END of this stage before going to High Heat and a modulated fan. Even at Medium, I heard a few beans at FC. By the time I went to High heat, I could only keep it there for about 2 Minutes, so total roasting time was about 6.5 minutes. I then hit cool. I MAY try keeping it on high stage for 12 or 18 seconds longer as it "could" be a LITTLE darker, but I liked this 2nd roast a lot!

SO, I do not know what extending this would do, but I can get nowhere near 10 minutes of total roast time.

comfortableshoes
MPSAN wrote:

So, every 30 seconds you went to cool for 5 seconds for a total of 3.5 minutes, then at 4.5 minutes you went to medium? I guess I wonder what you did from 3.5 to 4.5 minutes?

It stays at low heat/high fan until I move up to medium at 4.5.

OH...I ground my second roast this AM. WOW was it good! I may add 12 or 18 seconds at the end, but this was good. My only "problem" is that I did the cool 5 second thing at 30, 30, and 1 minute thing then Medium for 1.5 minutes at 3 minutes. So, total was 4.5 minutes at the END of this stage before going to High Heat and a modulated fan. Even at Medium, I heard a few beans at FC. By the time I went to High heat, I could only keep it there for about 2 Minutes, so total roasting time was about 6.5 minutes. I then hit cool. I MAY try keeping it on high stage for 12 or 18 seconds longer as it "could" be a LITTLE darker, but I liked this 2nd roast a lot!

SO, I do not know what extending this would do, but I can get nowhere near 10 minutes of total roast time.

The best part of roasting is dialing it in to exactly what you like. I agree with your decision to stick with the lower cost and easier to roast Colombia beans. I wish I'd done that instead of ruining 2lb of Yirg. :/ Live and learn.

comfortableshoes
I decided that I'd roast 6 batches today. Each one 114g. 2 of the 6 were beans I've roasted before and will provide a good standard bean. One was specifically roasted darker for my wife who prefers something a little darker than I do. One is a decaf, which went quite a lot darker than I intended but I'll likely drink it up.

It was quite and experience to roast up 6

Anyway. I happened to be at a friend's place, she does this great recycling thing, where she brings how interesting bits and bobs from her work and then offers them up for free on a local FB group. I was there to pick up some buckets to make more garden buckets and saw that she had 1 pint glass jars with black plastic lids, and the right number for my coffee storage needs. I got them home and managed to break one of the 6 jars. Too bad. Anyway. Eventually I'll add a vent to the top of each of these lids but until then, I'll be using canning jar lids that I'd added a vent to. A little chalkboard label and a white colored pencil and BOOM, perfect coffee storage.

The salsa jar in the back holds the decaf.

You can see them here. http://www.home-b...t3060.html

MPSAN
OK, I was referring to this...where you said.....

High Fan/Low heat for 3 min. During the first 3 minutes I flip to cool for 5 seconds at 30 seconds, again at 1 min, and at 2min. This seems to keep the roast even.
at 3 minutes I switch to medium heat/ high fan for a minute and a half
at 4.5 minutes I switch to high heat and modulate the fan

Here you say you switch to high heat at 4.5 minutes not medium.

Also, we have a few bags with 1 way valves. Then we use canning jars and use a FoodSaver to vacuum and seal them.

comfortableshoes
I'm not sure which profile you are referencing, I assumed you were asking about the most recent, for the Yirg Adado, which is
Every 30 seconds I flicked to cool for 5 seconds until the 3.5 min mark.
Start with low heat/high fant. I switched to medium heat/high fan at 4.5 minutes. Switch to high heat/modulate fan at 5min 50 seconds. The crack lasted until 7.5minutes. I switched to the cooling cycle at 7min40seconds and moved the beans to my cooling bucket at 8min20 seconds.

I use a general profile for the first roast of any bean, but vary it to change up the flavors and if a bean seems to progress differently.

MPSAN
OH, I was just using your "guide" in Post #1.
As I said my 2nd roast tasted great, so I will modify it! Grin See my SIG.

I will roast a bit longer for roast 3. After roast 4 I think I will try the Ethiopian! It too was dry processed.

comfortableshoes
Every bean is different and will need a slightly different profile. What I initially posted is something that is really basic that can be easily adapted, even on the fly as I roast if I see that bean is behaving uniquely.

Or I can plan to tweak it when I read the cupping notes for the bean. Using the Yirg Adado as an for instance, I knew I wanted to try to get the berry flavors, so I wanted to push from TAN to 1C more quickly than say with my Mexico la Lagunilla (MLL). With the MLL I wanted to emphasize the chocolate and molasses sweetness, and so I want to increase the time from tan to 1C.

Mostly I stick to my basic profile, unless I know that a bean is special and needs something different.

Hope that makes sense.

MPSAN
Yes, it does. I can not be too far off, however.

MPSAN
My 3rd roast...and even my 2nd...were VERY good. Anyway, how long should I let the SR500 cool between roasts. I would like to roast 8 oz, or even 12 oz, at a time. Is letting the top get cool enough to pick up and brush between roasts cool enough? Can I use the same profile on successive batches?

comfortableshoes
I let mine go for an hour or so, sometimes 30 minutes. Supposedly it'll burn out prematurely if you do back to back roasts.

MPSAN
WOW, that does take a bit...well, I guess 1/2 hour is OK. I wonder if it would help if I clean the top and hit COOL again?

ginny
try it...

-g

MPSAN
ginny wrote:

try it...

-g

Well, I will, but doing this will not tell me if it has cooled enough so there will be no damage.

This site has been a great help to me and has made my roasts easy.
I suppose that even if the SR500 does not last as long as expected, it should still be long enough before I think about a drum roaster. They do cost $$$!

ginny
M:

Well, I will, but doing this will not tell me if it has cooled enough so there will be no damage.

This site has been a great help to me and has made my roasts easy.
I suppose that even if the SR500 does not last as long as expected, it should still be long enough before I think about a drum roaster. They do cost $$$!

you do not need a drum roaster what you need to do is to trust yourself and play a bit. no roast will ever be the same. close maybe, never the same.

I think you are spending too much time on how and not why (you like the coffee from fresh roasted)

just play with what your gut tells you, forget the numbers and the time, look, smell and feel that roast M...

ginny

I would call you by your name but do not have it...

party

MPSAN
ginny...I am playing, but now that I am getting great results I just wanted to get advice on how long to cool the SR500 between roasts. I sure would like at least 8 OZ instead of 4OZ.

ginny
M:

listen up guy, I did not mean to be egregious with you - I just want you to be ok with your process of roasting as it is different for each and every one of us...

it is, really. soon you will just know what is right with that particular bean you may be roasting and I don't want you to get caught up in other profiles as it can really mess with you and make you think your wrong.

nothing is wrong with your roasting you simply have not developed and felt YOUR STYLE yet.

relax, enjoy the sight, the smell and the end result of your craft.

hugs,

ginny

smoking

MPSAN
Yes, this 3rd roast smelled great even when I opened the valve bag after about 40 hours. Anyway, I still am trying to determine how long to cool the SR500 between roasts!

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Jump to Forum: