Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 4:31 AM
Awesome I sent an email to AllenB and JackH The email to JackH failed. I had screenshots of my settings.

allenb
08/18/2019 3:37 AM
Jack and I are enlisting help from our PHP site admin to try and solve as soon as possible. Thanks for letting us know.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 2:53 AM
I got another PM last night......... No email notice.

snwcmpr
08/17/2019 7:36 AM
Email address correct. I constantly check junk folder. I turned off, then on, the setting to receive notice.

JackH
08/17/2019 7:10 AM
Also check that there are no spam filters set for email.

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,099
Newest Member: kla65
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Roaster cart in transition
turtle
I am considering replacing the cart am now using with a Luxor large AVA cart with pull out laptop shelf

http://www.marker...HwodrfcO4g

originally I used the small red cart on my Hottop which worked fine but the SF-1 covers the entire cart and it is rather top heavy. the other cart is wider and deeper so it should be more stable. the pull out tray will eliminate the need for a separate table to hold the laptop

Today's roast.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/8-4-2015_3_bean_joe_zpsa2wigu4o.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ChicagoJohn
turtles rollin' roaster required rethinking and repurposing. I got my wife to let me use her AV cart this morning.

Wow.... so nice to have everything set up and ready to roll. Thought I'd post a few pics, and I'm looking forward to trying the result for this Guatamala Natural Microlot from Happy Mug. I tried to follow their lead in the time-temperature profile for this sample.

That is the good news....

Bad news is when I rolled back into the house, my wife informed me she has been using this cart for her own metal etching for her ceramic vessels, and I couldn't have it.

I think maybe I might have been better off not knowing how great it is to have everything set up ready to roll than having experienced it and now having it taken away....
ChicagoJohn attached the following images:
gen-2-with-pcc.jpg gen-2-close-up.jpg guatamala-natural-happy-mug.jpg chaff-clean-up-with-pcc.jpg

JackH
I use this cart from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harbor...90428.html

Holds my turbo setup with plywood housing.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

JETROASTER
A possible solution:
Purchase the new cart for her....you get the old cart.
Mission accomplished....brownie points accrued.
Good luck. -Scott

ChicagoJohn
Thanks to turtle, this is where I have wound up
ChicagoJohn attached the following images:
work-station_1.jpg new-set-up_1.jpg

So many beans; so little time....

turtle
ChicagoJohn wrote:

Thanks to turtle, this is where I have wound up

Very nice compact set up you have now.

I have the Wilson/Luxor AV cart on order from B&H Photo (drop ship from Ohio)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980127-REG/h_wilson_avj42xlkb_steel_adjustable_height.html

can't wait to see your January/February photos LOL.....

Here is my very COLD hottop from last winter. Other than a little extra time compensation for the cold.... roasts were very nice.... chilly but nice :) One good thing. Beans cool much faster @ 32 F degrees LOL

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/2-19-2014_snow_roast2_zpsec11cb58.jpg

ChicagoJohn
turtle wrote:

can't wait to see your January/February photos LOL.....

Here is my very COLD hottop from last winter. Other than a little extra time compensation for the cold.... roasts were very nice.... chilly but nice :) One good thing. Beans cool much faster @ 32 F degrees LOL

Now that set up is REALLY COOL (pun intended).

If things go as planned, my Winter set up will be right in our kitchen. The PCC eliminates chaff entirely, and I have ordered parts to try to make an odor removal system. Since I'm only doing 91 gm at a time and since I am almost always targeting just after 1C, AND since my wife tells me she doesn't mind the "toast" smell even without odor control, my task seems well within the realm of possibility. The initial design will use activated carbon granules and a cheap vacuum cleaner I have.

If I were going outdoors here, I'm afraid I'd need to mount my rig on a Ski-Doo Renegade, but after my negotiations on the cart with the wife, I think my probability of success on that one would be "low", to overstate it. So the indoor route will be my approach to Winter here in Chicagoland.
So many beans; so little time....

turtle
I have finished with my roasting cart so that I can store my roaster inside and easily shove it out to roast.

I ended up getting a Wilson Luxor AV cart with a pull out laptop tray from B&H Photo in NYC.

Still need to permanently affix the SF-1 to the cart but I could not resist shoving it out and taking a few pics to share on HRO. Even with the roaster just sitting on the cart it is far more stable than the old narrow harbor freight cart

This is going to make roasting a lot simpler for me as I will no longer need to set up a card table for the laptop and meter to sit on as now it is all in one cart.

All is good once again at Casa Mick.

Eye candy follows

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/9-22-2015_new_cart2_zps5q1ux1fi.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/9-22-2015_new_cart3_zpslv36j3yu.jpg

SF-1 on the narrow harbor freight cart

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/4-4-2015_roast_zpssddu6qku.jpg

Old set up with card table and cart:

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/8-4-2015_3_bean_joe_zpsa2wigu4o.jpg

turtle
Found the other topic if you want to combine them together.

http://forum.home...ad_id=4682

turtle
It has been 3 months since I updated to the larger cart with the pull out laptop tray.

I could not be more pleased with the simplicity of it all now as everything fits nicely on the larger cart. No more setting up additional tables, running extension cords, and having the computer separate from the roaster.

I did 2 back to back 1 lb roasts yesterday (Brazilian and Ethiopian wet processed).

I've increased my roast weight to a full pound (450 grams) and I find that the roaster is performing far better than when I was using 400 grams.

Start to end of the last roast was just over an hour (half of that time was take up warming up the SF-1)

Another 45 minutes cool down with the fan blowing on the roaster and I was completely finished and put away.

Roasting two one pound batches does take me out to the end of freshness as I now need to roast every other week, not every week. I've not tasted any shift in flavor when the beans are at that age but I believe I am pushing the envelope on that.

All in all the new larger cart was a well worthwhile upgrade for me.

Jump to Forum: