Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Here is my current roasting set up...
ChicagoJohn
GaryatGala wrote:

So go ahead and enjoy the fun of showing off your roastery and tell us a bit about it.

Who's next...?

Well, I'll post this image of where I'm at in the moment; trying to make small roasts reproducibly to explore the effects of time-temperature profiles and of different varieties. I'm as new to this as a newbie can be, and maybe that is partially why it's so much fun :) Anyway, I've managed to be able to do roasts indoors in our kitchen with no chaff issues and without objectionable odor issues thus far. :)

My good results, brewed with an Aeropress with my particular method, have been the best coffee I've ever had, I must say! :) I've had some not-so-good results too and am on the learning curve of trying to understand the differences.

One heck of a lot of fun, and lots of great coffee. Great idea, for a forum, Gary!
ChicagoJohn attached the following image:
pcc-gasket-8_1.jpg

GaryatGala
I must say John, that's a neat looking station you got there with the highest tech popper I've seen so far.

How many grams/ounces and what times is it achieving?

Great WAF (wife approval factor) due to lack of messy chaff.

Enjoy the learning curve on your coffee chapter.good post
Another member of the KKTO rider's club, together with coretto, FZ-RR700 Baby Roaster and a sad sack of less than 20 kilograms of greens.

ChicagoJohn
GaryatGala wrote:

I must say John, that's a neat looking station you got there with the highest tech popper I've seen so far.

How many grams/ounces and what times is it achieving?

Great WAF (wife approval factor) due to lack of messy chaff.

Enjoy the learning curve on your coffee chapter.good post

LMAO at the "WAF"... haven't heard that acronym before, but it is so, so fundamental to this whole endeavor. She has been into her double Starbucks espresso for years. I'm tryin' to edumacate her. :)

I use 91 grams simply because that divides into 453.6 almost evenly by 5 and I never have any issues with stirring, tilting, etc. using the installed 60 degree funnel insert; an idea that just came into my head one day when I was walking through Ace Hardware, but one that has proven to be very useful in enabling the passive chaff collector designs.

Actually it was my wife who was responsible for the idea of using a copper scrub pad to make that donut filter at the top. With that in place, zero chaff.

With the Presto PopLite system, over now three iterations of modification, I've been able to achieve city-level roasts in as little as six minutes, but I have settled into a roast time of around 10 minutes that includes 2 minutes after 1C for development, and after shutting off the heater switch, it takes about 2 minutes for cool-down to 50C, at which point you can remove the chaff collector with bare hands and empty out the roast.

Now that I've completed my last popper modification, I'm looking forward to getting more into the roasting learning curve. Just like in everything else, the enjoyment is to be had in the journey, and with coffee, I'm not sure anyone has yet reached the destination.
Edited by ChicagoJohn on 08/04/2015 3:22 AM

Jump to Forum: