Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 4:31 AM
Awesome I sent an email to AllenB and JackH The email to JackH failed. I had screenshots of my settings.

allenb
08/18/2019 3:37 AM
Jack and I are enlisting help from our PHP site admin to try and solve as soon as possible. Thanks for letting us know.

snwcmpr
08/18/2019 2:53 AM
I got another PM last night......... No email notice.

snwcmpr
08/17/2019 7:36 AM
Email address correct. I constantly check junk folder. I turned off, then on, the setting to receive notice.

JackH
08/17/2019 7:10 AM
Also check that there are no spam filters set for email.

Users Online
Guests Online: 2

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,099
Newest Member: kla65
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My roastery/roasting station...
GaryatGala
I would like to kick off by showing everyone my humble roasting station at home.
The roasters are on a bench in the garage with other important equipment like the bean cooler, vacuum cleaner, timer, container with beans, fan, thermoprobe with multimeter and bits and pieces like coffee bags, scales etc.

Here is a photo of two corettos (HG/BM) with two Bosch 630 heat gun's, Koffee Kosmo Turbo Oven Roaster and not shown is the FZRR700 Baby Roaster.

So go ahead and enjoy the fun of showing off your roastery and tell us a bit about it.

Who's next...?

admin note:

REMEMBER TO START A NEW THREAD WITH YOUR PERSONAL SETUP...
GaryatGala attached the following image:
20150724_153810_custom.jpg

Edited by ginny on 08/03/2015 1:09 PM
Another member of the KKTO rider's club, together with coretto, FZ-RR700 Baby Roaster and a sad sack of less than 20 kilograms of greens.

allenb
Super setup Gary! Since your thread sounds like it won't be focusing solely on HGBM/KKTO but for any type of roastery, the forum you chose should be good to go!

Looking forward to seeing lots of roasting stations.

Allen
Edited by allenb on 08/02/2015 4:28 AM
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

GaryatGala
Thanks Allen and also a thanks to the forum for allowing me and other home roasters to hopefully allow themselves to post a bit of a story of their coffee journey.

I used to work in the restaurant business. Now my job is as barista in a specialty cafe which roasts their own blend and single origins.

My first roaster was a simple popper, the addiction to coffee grew. It's that kind of thing where you learn a little, then you want to know more, and more, and the rest is history.

It's great to know that there is no snobbery here regardless of whoever posts their humble popper set up to a commercial style man cave complete with a single group Slayer and a 2kg Has Garanti.
coffee drink
Edited by ginny on 08/03/2015 1:09 PM
Another member of the KKTO rider's club, together with coretto, FZ-RR700 Baby Roaster and a sad sack of less than 20 kilograms of greens.

ChicagoJohn
GaryatGala wrote:

It,s great to know that there is no snobbery here regardless of whoever posts their humble popper set up to a commercial style man cave complete with a single group Slayer and a 2kg Has Garanti.
coffee drink

WOW! What a great forum idea !!! Love it !!

And I totally love seeing your interest in and commitment to coffee. I am just starting out on a path you, and many others, have gone down log ago. Like you, did, I'm getting into it with a popcorn popper. I have great respect for the story your "roasting station" tells. I can only imagine; actually I can't imagine.... yet :)

But I got hooked a little while ago and I'll definitely take a picture or two or three of my very humble station.

Thanks so much for starting this thread, and I totally agree that I too have found homeroasters.org to be very encouraging to folks like me who are just starting out on the journey. :))

Happy Roasting, Brother !

ChicagoJohn
GaryatGala wrote:

So go ahead and enjoy the fun of showing off your roastery and tell us a bit about it.

Who's next...?

Hi Gary,

did you want us to post an image of our set up? I was thinking that was what you were looking for. But I don't see an option to upload images. It just says "Disable Smileys and Notify me when a reply is posted". No way to upload an image as far as I can see..." Maybe I'm missing something as I'm new here.

ginny
John,

yes I/we want all to add their setup. I just fixed the forum, attachments were off...

now on.

ginny

smoking

ginny
remember to START a new thread

with your setup, otherwise it will get lost in another; trying to move multiple posts within thread can be an issue.

every setup/member has his own thread please.

-g
Edited by ginny on 08/03/2015 1:11 PM

BobbyM15
@turtle

Might have missed it, but I don't see anywhere how much weight it can handle.
Coffee is a language in itself.

Jackie Chan

turtle
BobbyM15 wrote:

@turtle

Might have missed it, but I don't see anywhere how much weight it can handle.

300 lbs so it should be fine.

It is wider and deeper than the cart I am now using which is the size of the roaster base (barely)

Old cart 16 x 30

New cart 20 x 32

The old cart was perfect for the hottop and all of its "goodies"

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/HT_outside_6-4-2014_zpsc8331e2c.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ChicagoJohn
Super "rollin' roaster"!! Love it -- I want one! Maybe someday :)

ginny
hey john, we may be having a raffle for a new Bullet soon...

keep those fingers crossed!

ginny

roar

ChicagoJohn
ginny wrote:

ginny

roar

I'm in! :) I'm going to start looking for carts now! ;)

ginny
cool, will be one heck of a lot of fun...

-g

smoking

turtle
ChicagoJohn wrote:

ginny wrote:

ginny

roar

I'm in! :) I'm going to start looking for carts now! ;)

I relegated the hottop to an old metal "typing stand" and have used it a few times this way since getting the SF-1. Even thought I don't have the latest upgrades it is sill a nice home roaster.

AND......

Moving everything outside already set up to roast is nice....

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/6-25-2015_roast_zpsvgybtvpe.jpg

ChicagoJohn
turtle wrote:

Moving everything outside already set up to roast is nice....

That is what immediately struck me when I saw your setup. I like how you repurposed that table, and last night I realized we (my wife) has an AV cart we aren't using that will be perfect for my stuff. Thanks so much for this idea!

ChicagoJohn
JackH wrote:

I use this cart from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harbor...90428.html

Holds my turbo setup with plywood housing.

SWEET !!!!

My wife is gone for most of today, but I will ask her if I can get this when she gets home. It would be perfect! I just have to think how to sell it to her.

ChicagoJohn
freshbeans wrote:

A possible solution:
Purchase the new cart for her....you get the old cart.
Mission accomplished....brownie points accrued.
Good luck. -Scott

It turns out we have an actual Harbor Freight outlet about 8 miles from where I live; it's in Aurora, IL, and they just so happened to have the exact same unit I was interested in in stock the one recommended 30 in. Large 350 lb. Capacity Glossy Red Service Cart With Locking Drawer Item #90428.

This meant I would not have to pay shipping. However, the IL state sales tax brought the total up to close to $90.

So despite the fact that I loved the Harbor Freight video for #90428, the locking drawer, the high gloss red power paint non-chip color, and the chrome... not to mention the wheels... that didn't happen, but to a lesser extent, however, it did.

What I will have is a two-tier injection-molded glass-filled polyolefin thermoplastic cart on rollers that, after delivery with tax and shipping included for $66.99 from Amazon, will have the same 24 X 18" top shelf width with 4" dia non-marking wheels, two of which have stops (not that I will need that feature), and the bottom tray has a like 3" lip on it to hold my beans and my camera stuff.

I may modify it to reduce the height so I can sit down while roasting, maybe even recline if I should so choose, with my favorite beverage within easy reach on that bottom tier without fear of slipping off given that 3" rim around it; ya know what I'm sayin'? And I will definitely add a surge protected power strip to easily reach the existing ground fault circuit interrupter receptacle on the far end of our deck. Hell yes!

My wife is a coupon clipper, and starting out pitching the red, shiny one at $80 plus tax, I was more easily able to negotiate down to the black thermoplastic one at $67 with no tax or shipping. And now everybody's happy: It's a win-win. Now I just gotta see if I can buy some red spray paint that will stick to this plastic, and consider how much to chop off the legs to make everything easily accessible from a deck lounge chair I have yet to purchase.
So many beans; so little time....

ginny
I remember Jack had a cool cart way before anyone else...

http://forum.home...rowstart=0

almost forgot about this but I do remember some things at my advanced age...

ginny

roar

turtle
Sorry I missed this yesterday :(

I got my red cart on eBay for $49 with $6 shipping. When I assembled it, I put the top shelf on upside down so it was flat on the top not a recessed bin/basket on top.

I believe it was a harbor freight drop ship re-seller.

this is the cart but not @ $49 from another seller

http://www.ebay.c...1264931529

I was going to bolt the hottop down to the top but never did.

I DO have the SF-1 bolted down but even then the cart is a little too top heavy so I need a wider and longer cart that is lower to get away from the tipsy feeling I get when I wheel the cart and roaster around now.

GaryatGala
Am envious of your neat roasting set turtle.
Thanks for sharing with the community.
It will give us ideas and solutions to those who have valuable equipment who wants to roast but have to do it outside due to smoke and possibly chaff issues, and still have the security offered by keeping them indoors when not roasting.
In my case it,s a basic table with drawers where the roasters are kept. Due to the number of roasters, I dont have an inclination to keep it all on a trolley, plus it,s all in a car garage which is locked but still open to the backyard for venting.
Keep those updates coming. ThumbsUp

Jump to Forum: