Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:24 AM
Grin snwcmpr

snwcmpr
09/04/2019 4:47 PM
Welcome Shoron

shoron
09/02/2019 8:01 AM
I am shoron !! Just to find out some information I am here :)

Andyr
09/02/2019 6:09 AM
Ah, never mind, thanks! I figured it out.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,129
Newest Member: GreenBeans
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Greens Source
ginny
free shipping is a bonus and not a deal breaker for me.

Linnea, try Happy Mug:

http://www.happym...

ginny
Edited by ginny on 10/14/2015 2:08 AM

coffeeroastersclub
Maybe I am not getting through here. There is no such thing as "FREE" shipping. Are they not being charged by UPS or FEDEX or the Post Office to ship the package? Are they writing off their shipping costs as a total loss? I think not unless they with to go bankrupt. They are padding the shipping cost into the total product cost and then claiming to the consumer that they offer "Free Shipping".

Furthermore, shipping rate calculators have a built in feature that allows a percentage or dollar amount over actual shipping cost to be added into the rate shown to consumers; hence my mention that if you want the real shipping cost go directly to UPS or Fedex site.

There is nothing shameful in not knowing the above. Most consumers don't know because they do not have the exposure to the mechanics of the shipping process. Most businessowners that ship products do (I would hope ...)

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
JETROASTER
Compare product to same or similar elsewhere...without any regard to shipping. That's the product comparison.
If the vendor is "hiding" the shipping cost, it quickly becomes obvious.
If the vendor is actually eating part of the shipping cost, that will also become obvious.
"Shipping and handling" was a revenue stream at one time. Those days are over.....and yes, sometimes shipping is a loss as a means to stay in the game.....or move the inventory.
Cheers

comfortableshoes
coffeeroastersclub wrote:

Maybe I am not getting through here. There is no such thing as "FREE" shipping. Are they not being charged by UPS or FEDEX or the Post Office to ship the package? Are they writing off their shipping costs as a total loss? I think not unless they with to go bankrupt. They are padding the shipping cost into the total product cost and then claiming to the consumer that they offer "Free Shipping".

Furthermore, shipping rate calculators have a built in feature that allows a percentage or dollar amount over actual shipping cost to be added into the rate shown to consumers; hence my mention that if you want the real shipping cost go directly to UPS or Fedex site.

There is nothing shameful in not knowing the above. Most consumers don't know because they do not have the exposure to the mechanics of the shipping process. Most businessowners that ship products do (I would hope ...)

Len

I completely comprehend what you have written. As a long time online seller I'm well aware of the differences between shipping and handling as well as the padding that often goes on in those numbers. I'm quite aware that those who offer free shipping do so at either a loss or that their product prices are padded to absorb the loss.

I disagree that it is a gimmick. One can look at it as a a marketing tool to entice reticent customers or as a service for current customers. I see it as a bonus, The $7-$9 I saved on shipping can be better spent elsewhere. Maybe I wasn't clear that the seller in question offers decent prices on their beans and that their offer of "free" shipping was an added bonus.

comfortableshoesstudio.com
MrPeaberry
coffeeroastersclub wrote:

I would never let free shipping persuade me one way or another. Just a gimmick. Go to fedex or ups and calculate how much $$$ it would cost for sellers to ship you the beans. Then take that cost off the cost of the total price (product price plus shipping cost) of what anyone is asking for and take it from there regarding company reputation, customer service, the offering, etc.

Free shipping is just a psychological hot button that works, yes ... too well in most cases. Ignorance is bliss thumbdown ; knowledge is power ThumbsUp .

Len

I'm with you on the (over) use of the word "FREE" as a gimmick and that it works too well. It works annoyingly well even when no direct comparisons are possible, such as one retailer's sofa versus another's. In the end, a buyer only has a gut feel for the deal they feel they are getting, and the preference from whom to buy. When sourcing greens, I would imagine that the overall experience matters more than merely price. A good supplier won't dissappoint on price, but has proven to be reliable, easy to work with, and in many cases, more enjoyable to work with. This can be as much of an attraction as a freebie...maybe moreso when long term relationships are valued. I believe most consumdrs understand out of pocket costs, so that even when told that the shipping is free, if the cost per pound is more, then there had better be sometning that justifieds the additional cost.

In any event, I am equally annoyed at having to explain the reality of why something is more expensive to someone who seems to believe that Free Shipping, Free Delivery, or 10% more for Free, magically changes the quality of the item being considered. Ugh...
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

comfortableshoes
Well, I just roasted up the Rwanda Inzovu Gasabo from Roast and it was darn good. Peachy stone fruit flavor at the start that softened into a sweet milk chocolate and a clean lemony finish.

ginny
explain the reality of why something is more expensive to someone who seems to believe that Free Shipping, Free Delivery, or 10% more for Free, magically changes the quality of the item being considered. Ugh...

frankly I do not think anyone has said any of the above changes the quality of the beans they may buy...

-g

Roflmao

LongLeafSoaps
ginny wrote:

free shipping is a bonus and not a deal breaker for me.

Linnea, try Happy Mug:

http://www.happym...

ginny

Just saw this Ginny...I will check out Happy Mug for sure! ThumbsUp

I am in my infancy of home roasting, and so far have only purchased from Burman Coffee.
I decided to buy from them due to their descriptions, and roasting suggestions....so far I have been impressed with my purchases, except for the Costa Rican La Pastora, although I am quite certain it is most likey due to my lack of experience with all this..... ;-D
Edited by LongLeafSoaps on 10/19/2015 2:55 AM
Carpe Diem With Coffee

MrPeaberry
ginny wrote:frankly I do not think anyone has said any of the above changes the quality of the beans they may buy...

-g

Roflmao

Sorry Ginny, I should have been a bit clearer. I wasn't referring to anything said or implied by anyone on this forum. My apologies if this is how it was taken. The importance of making comparisons and evaluations of beans independent of "free shipping" type gimmicks is assuredly not lost on the members here. My comments were geared more towards folks I encounter in my own line of work.

Cheers!
pouring
FYI - I suffer from OCD (Obsessive Coffee Disorder), please be kind.

ginny
Linnea:

the one thing I do is refuse to buy from places that have zero information...

"good, mild cup, large beans" is a garbage line with some of these sellers.

if beans sellers cannot take a moment to investigate and find out about their beans why the hell do I want to buy them. clearly I may miss out on some really good stuff but I doubt it...

many of these sellers have never seen a coffee farm and simply buy what's left over at the big importers to sell, no thanks...

for me serious green bean sellers give you, the roaster, the information you want to make a sound decision on your greens.

that is why Sweet Maria's, Happy Mug (good) and others are my usual places to buy from...

I have a very interesting conversation that I had with an eBay seller I will clean up and post in a new thread; it is typical of many bean sellers.

ginny

party

Tony_C
As a Newbie, I'm glad this topic is here. It's so easy for someone new to roasting to buy green beans merely by lowest cost, or shipping rates, and not from a reputable merchant who knows what they are selling, gives the buyer worthy information on the products origin, methods of processing, cupping notes, etc. I know people like to shop for a bargain, but I realized real quick that this isn't like buying an exact product that everyone can sell, but a specialty item, that is consumed, that can vary greatly from seller to seller, even if the product is coming out of the same region. So far my purchases have been from Burman, which even as someone new to roasting, the education roasters here and other sources have given me an idea of what to look for and expect on arrival. The beans have all been in great shape, evenly colored and uniform. They have good info on the website, and seemed knowledgable. I'm sure I will eventually order from Sweet Maria's and Happy Mug as well, as their info is excellent. I did join GCBC and like the info that many distributors provide, with some being first hand knowledge of the growers and areas. I did commit to a purchase of Yirgacheffe the other day, and will share my info when received and roasted.

LongLeafSoaps
ginny wrote:

Linnea:

the one thing I do is refuse to buy from places that have zero information...

"good, mild cup, large beans" is a garbage line with some of these sellers.

if beans sellers cannot take a moment to investigate and find out about their beans why the hell do I want to buy them. clearly I may miss out on some really good stuff but I doubt it...

many of these sellers have never seen a coffee farm and simply buy what's left over at the big importers to sell, no thanks...

for me serious green bean sellers give you, the roaster, the information you want to make a sound decision on your greens.

that is why Sweet Maria's, Happy Mug (good) and others are my usual places to buy from...

I have a very interesting conversation that I had with an eBay seller I will clean up and post in a new thread; it is typical of many bean sellers.

ginny

party

ginny....I can't imagine buying for a place like that! My purchases so far have been based on flavor notes along with the roasting notes on how to accentuate the flavor you want to enhance...
Carpe Diem With Coffee

ginny
Linnea:

the sad thing is so many new to coffee roasting believe that coffee is coffee.

many new roasters have no idea of the huge variety of beans that are available to them from around the world.

they hit search green coffee beans in google and what comes up first are so many cheapie places, "try 8 pounds for 4 bucks, free shipping."

they get old beans that have been sitting around that some guy bought to get into the green bean/home roasting market.

we have grown so much in the last 2 or 3 years alone, it is amazing...

green beans from great sellers have gone up a bit in the last year or so but not a huge amount, we still get beans at half or more the cost of that bean roasted at a local roaster or cafe.

the kid on the block has no idea.

I can't imagine buying for a place like that! My purchases so far have been based on flavor notes along with the roasting notes on how to accentuate the flavor you want to enhance...

could not agree more with you, for me those notes about flavor are the most important to me.

ginny

rockon

turtle
ginny wrote:

Linnea:

the sad thing is so many new to coffee roasting believe that coffee is coffee.

many new roasters have no idea of the huge variety of beans that are available to them from around the world.

they hit search green coffee beans in google and what comes up first are so many cheapie places, "try 8 pounds for 4 bucks, free shipping."

they get old beans that have been sitting around that some guy bought to get into the green bean/home roasting market.

we have grown so much in the last 2 or 3 years alone, it is amazing...

green beans from great sellers have gone up a bit in the last year or so but not a huge amount, we still get beans at half or more the cost of that bean roasted at a local roaster or cafe.

the kid on the block has no idea.

ginny

rockon

On the other side of the coin is the artisan roaster who has become successful. Wining local awards and accolades only to become complacent and "coast on their fame".

I travel a lot in our mini RV so I can't take a roaster and I am at the mercy of local artisans along my route to supply me with freshly roasted coffee so that I can continue on my travels.

Too many times I have gone into a small roasting house only to find 3 to 4 week old beans (dated post roast) on the shelf and a large roaster sitting idle in the shop.

When I ask if they have any coffee that is closer to the roast date I hear that they only roast a couple times a month and what I see is what they have for sale.

Oy Vey.......

Having this happening once is too may times, especially if you are down to a day's worth of roasted coffee to get you to the next artisan roasting house in another city/state.
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ginny
you travel around in a mini why not take a small fresh roast, 50 bucks and you have fresh beans...

the larger roaster, cafes usually roast daily so you must be traveling in the boonies...

get a small roaster and do it yourself.

why not?

ginny

Roflmao

turtle
ginny wrote:

you travel around in a mini why not take a small fresh roast, 50 bucks and you have fresh beans...

the larger roaster, cafes usually roast daily so you must be traveling in the boonies...

get a small roaster and do it yourself.

why not?

ginny

Roflmao

Ha ha ha ha......

I would like to have a small roaster at our vacation home but that option has been ruled "verboten".

I am lucky to be able to travel with a hand grinder, dripper,/filters, thermal carafe, and a vacuum can to hold roasted beans I come across in our travels.

My significant other thinks my "obsession" with coffee is not mentally healthy.

Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

LongLeafSoaps
turtle wrote:

Ha ha ha ha......

I would like to have a small roaster at our vacation home but that option has been ruled "verboten".

I am lucky to be able to travel with a hand grinder, dripper,/filters, thermal carafe, and a vacuum can to hold roasted beans I come across in our travels.

My significant other thinks my "obsession" with coffee is not mentally healthy.

Methinks a new SO is in order Grin
Carpe Diem With Coffee

ginny
Methinks a new SO is in order

hahahahahaha....

Roflmao

comfortableshoes
I think you need to get a popcorn popper and just pretend it's for popcorn...

LongLeafSoaps
Sorry turtle...I couldn't resist...

BBQ grill
Carpe Diem With Coffee

Jump to Forum: