Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
JackH

Total Members: 6,473
Newest Member: benhome
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Ikawa Roaster
CharcoalRoaster
Anyone checked this new roaster out? Looks like the load couldn't be more than 75-100g... I do like the setting,following roast profiling if it's as simple as it seems on the video (which is probably doubtful) Shock

http://www.ikawacoffee.com/

edit to make link live - please make your links live...
Edited by ginny on 05/08/2015 7:51 AM

Mythopoeia
I was wondering about this project too. I saw 60g posted as the max capacity and a whopping 500 euro pre-order price. It seems to be a cleanly designed product, but it's hard to justify that pricetag with features essentially identical to a PID'ed popper. I imagine they'll try and work in a green marketplace down the road with preloaded roast profiles.
In Paradise they look no more awry;
and though they make anew, they make no lie.
-J.R.R. Tolkien, Mythopoeia

westpoetry.wordpress.com
oldgearhead
I lost interest as soon as they mentioned three minute roasts. Sounds like a
popper to me...

ginny
yep, a very expensive popper, fresh roast in a larger container...

way too much money to roast so few beans.

-g

rockon

JETROASTER
I hate to jump on the bash-wagon but....
It seems a bit like 'design in a bubble'.

Poking around HRO for a day or two would have helped. To me, that small a batch is a non starter for that money.
Of course, I thought bottled water was ridiculous. Oops.
My 2 centavos.
Cheers, Scott

snwcmpr
If I understand the customs here.... If you don't own the roaster, you shouldn't bash it.

Ken in NC
(Not pointed at anyone in particular, just a general statement)
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
I suggest we do not go down this road again...

ginny

pointed at no one in particular, just a general statement.

roar

jkoll42
I would say the "If you don't own the roaster you shouldn't bash it" has reasonable limits. I would hope if I started a thread about how I made a microwave roaster that produced an amazing roast in 15 seconds you would rightfully bash me. roar

That being said, if you actually look at the project "sample" roasts typically take 3 minutes. Roast time is 0-20 min (pro) or 3-10 minutes (home) with 20 temp and 10 airflow setpoints during the roast. Decent although the batch size is really tiny. I do agree $800ish is a huge amount for a 2 oz roaster.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

ginny

I would say the "If you don't own the roaster you shouldn't bash it" has reasonable limits.

agreed.

let me also say that there is some egregious intent buried here n this thread which I find old and stale.

that said. this roaster costs way too much for even a novice to be sucked in if they look around. congrats for the approach and design and getting it out but for the money, not for me.

with Kickstarter and other Crowdsourcing avenues so many are attempting to cash in on the home roasting market but they are not doing their homework.

-g

beach
Edited by ginny on 05/13/2015 7:04 AM

coffeeroastersclub

jkoll42 wrote:

I would say the "If you don't own the roaster you shouldn't bash it" has reasonable limits. I would hope if I started a thread about how I made a microwave roaster that produced an amazing roast in 15 seconds you would rightfully bash me. roar

That being said, if you actually look at the project "sample" roasts typically take 3 minutes. Roast time is 0-20 min (pro) or 3-10 minutes (home) with 20 temp and 10 airflow setpoints during the roast. Decent although the batch size is really tiny. I do agree $800ish is a huge amount for a 2 oz roaster.

I'd say that if you made a microwave roaster that produced an amazing roast in 15 seconds and it actually did you would be laughing all the way to the bank. Grin

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
boar_d_laze
The batch size is right for a professional sample roaster. And the physical size looks right for that purpose as well in that three of them wouldn't be any wider than a three-barrel open throat sample roaster.

Otherwise, I appreciate the datalogging and realtime plotting; but like the rest of you am unimpressed by built in bluetooth, social media capabilities, and the low capacity -- which is too little to be practical at home.

Ikawa says 60g in, 50g out; but you need 60g to make a full "8 cup" Chemex pot, so include me out.

Rich
USRC 1lb Roaster, Chemex+Kone, Espro, Various FPs, Royal Siphon Vacuum, Yama Ice Drip Tower, Bunnzilla, La Cimbali M21 Casa, Ceado E92.
CookFoodGood

jkoll42

coffeeroastersclub wrote:

jkoll42 wrote:

I'd say that if you made a microwave roaster that produced an amazing roast in 15 seconds and it actually did you would be laughing all the way to the bank. Grin

Len

"and it actually did" would be the key! jazzyhands
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Jump to Forum: