Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
09/18/2019 4:09 AM
JavaBob ... You will get more response if you post a question on the forum rather than the shoutbox.

Mathew
09/17/2019 5:50 AM
check out the Hive Roaster!

JavaBob
09/16/2019 4:03 PM
Has anyone used a Leister hot air blower to roast coffee and if so, which model did you use? What was your experience like?

JavaBob
09/16/2019 3:53 PM
Source for customable borosilicate glass cylinders for use as a roasting chamber?

shoron
09/06/2019 7:25 AM
how to make medium raw colored beans to dark ?

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,139
Newest Member: MonkeyNMiddle
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bean blend for iced coffee
ownedbymypugs
Hi everyone!

I am new to homeroasting, as I just started doing it about two weeks ago with a Popcorn Popper and the sampler pack from Sweet Maria's. I am truly loving it though. The coffee I make from the beans I roast the day before tastes SO much better than what I would make from grocery store beans. It's fun too!

I drink my coffee iced and so was wondering if you all have any advice or recipes/bean blends for a perfect iced coffee? I am about to place my next Sweet Maria's order and am OK with ordering several different one pound bags of beans, but am don't know WHICH I should order. I used to work at a Caribou Coffee and I loved their Sumatra Blend for making iced coffee. Any advice you can give will be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

MJSykes
For ice coffee, I look for beans described as "bold" and that are recommended for dark roasting. I also cold-brew the coffee and drink with a generous amount of milk and sweetener (which is very different from how I do hot coffee).

Of course, your preferences may differ!

allenb
Glad to hear you're enjoying homeroasting. I hear it's highly addictive!

On iced coffee blend suggestions? I've never tried to blend for iced coffee but a Sumatra blend sounds like it would be a great option. If it were me, I'd do the Sumatra, a good central and maybe toss in 20% of a nice high-end Brazil to round it out. And then, roast a few more from one of SM sampler packs and try other combinations.

Something you may like to try for a spin off the beaten path and expand your roasting horizons is Café au lait in the tradition of Café du Monde in New Orleans. I grew up drinking cajun coffee with chicory. Don't take the whole milk over 160F, don't use lighter than whole milk or will be too thin, take your roast to well into 2nd crack but not all the way to a french roast. Find some fairly fresh roasted ground chicory and put together a 20% chicory to 80% coffee. This is one of the only "coffee drinks" I partake of.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: