Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,247
Newest Member: Natesforu9
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
allenb
Here's an old document that shows how to get a pretty close approximation of the inner and outer radius of a sheet metal flight (vane in our case). It takes a while to figure out what the abbreviations are referring to but it eventually makes sense. They use a squiggly r for the minor radius which can be hard to see in the drawing where many abbreviations are crammed into the ID so you might need to blow it up a bit to read it.

The calculations give you one vane traveling 360 degrees. For calculating the radius values for a vane only traveling 90 degrees (for a 4 vane drum) I'm assuming you will need to use (pi x diameter) /4 in steps 1 and 2 for the right triangle base formulas instead of just pi x diameter.

Hopefully this helps with drawing up the vanes and hopefully their and my math is correct as well.
allenb attached the following file:
spiral_flight_development_2.zip [46.21kB / 306 Downloads]

1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

JackH
Allen, we should put that file in the downloads area if it's not already there.
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

allenb
Good idea, I'll get a copy posted there.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyM15
Thanks for posting this Allen, I am going to get after it!
Coffee is a language in itself.

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Fabbing up some vanes today, hopefully get then done tomorrow. I am going with a straight blade arrangement. I'll see if that works.

Here is a calculator that some might find useful.

https://www.easyc.../helix.php

Jackie Chan

allenb
JackH wrote:

Allen, we should put that file in the downloads area if it's not already there.

Ok, the vane radius formulas sheet is now in the downloads section for anyone interested in calculating those pesky vane radius values.

Allen

allenb
BobbyM15 wrote:

Fabbing up some vanes today, hopefully get then done tomorrow. I am going with a straight blade arrangement. I'll see if that works.

Here is a calculator that some might find useful.

https://www.easyc.../helix.php

Let us know how the calculator worked out with your vanes and if it was helpful we'll place a link somewhere accessible.

Also, let us know what you mean by "straight blade".

Allen

BobbyM15
Not so much a helix as we normally see, more like the outer vanes here:

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/img_diedrichdrumroasteragitatorvanes_zpsqaekxoul.jpg

The calculator worked pretty good. I will post some photos of my drum soon as I get finished welding.

Jackie Chan

allenb
Those are actually segments of a helix placed in tandem and to me, are more effective in mixing than a continuous helical vane. I used that strategy on my 1 lb drum roaster.

Allen

BobbyM15
I agree Allen. Here are some pics of where I am right now. Lots of work these roasters LOL.

I put some different colored navy beans in to see how it mixed and it did well. That is 2 lbs. of those beans. I think this will be a good 2 - 4 lb. roaster. It is 8-1/2 inch pipe x 12" long.

The outer vane angle is right at 25° as per your suggestion in a different thread: thank you!

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/8512455a-9d8f-4d97-afbb-837e2260dbb9_zps86tog1eb.jpg

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/7ef3d1e6-c932-4f80-90e8-dacb4c1fbd7d_zpsy0z6xjk9.jpg
Edited by BobbyM15 on 07/09/2015 7:05 PM

Jackie Chan

M Heyns
Hi I am newly registered please keep on posting, I am planning a similar build myself soon!

BobbyM15
How far into the bean mass should a thermocouple go? I'm thinking maybe 1" to 1-1/2"?

Jackie Chan

okmed
10 times the diameter of the probe.
RAF-1 Extreme (modified B-2K) Hottop with HTC+TC4C, HG-One grinder, Bezzera Strega.

BobbyM15
Okmed, Thank You!

Jackie Chan

allenb
In addition to the 10x diameter of sheath rule, there's one additional issue to be considered with sheathed sensors which is their tendency to conduct heat into the plate their mounted to as well as into the ambient air on the other side of it which will cause it to read lower than actual.

Many commercially made drum roasters will have their probes enter into the front plate and then make a 90 degree bend extending another 2 to 3" or so to ensure front plate conductance error is minimized. One needs to allow 3/8 to 1/2" between the side of the extended sheath and the front edge of vanes to prevent beans from wedging and thumping the sensor.

Allen

BobbyM15
Great info, thanks!

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Making some progress, although not as fast as I would like, but oh well we have other responsibilities don't we lol.

Got the welding done and made the perforated drum end. I welded a shaft collar on it so I could remove the back if needed by loosening the collar and slipping the back off. These roasters are a lot of work, but enjoyable to build, if you like building stuff, and I like building stuff!

Then there are usually some screw-ups. Like when I ordered my drive motor I wasn't paying attention and ordered an "intermittent duty" motor. It would get hot after about a half hour under load even though it had plenty of ummmphhh. So remember to purchase what you actually need. Roflmao

At my current rate I will not get it on line until after the first of the year.....bummer! But I still have the trusty BBQ roaster to get me buy.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/dd4290e4-be2b-4cd5-a1bd-8cce43a3f458_zpsykaakfzs.jpg

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/28df490b-bdfc-475d-92fc-8b782e39fa79_zps20ztiddb.jpg

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/e142ef55-e284-459f-b783-738720e36d0d_zps6oywm4fw.jpg
Edited by BobbyM15 on 07/15/2015 9:04 PM

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
Found a new motor, it's a beast and it works well. With 2 lbs. of beans it only draws 225ma.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/IMAG0184_zps3fllm41f.jpg

Put some real coffee beans in to try the new motor out. Gotta fool around with it somehow, right? The reverse vanes work well. You can see (sort of, sorry for bad pic) this one picking up beans and moving them back.

i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r786/BobbyS2117/322cf5c5-c3a0-4a1d-b772-8e7232a71ffa_zps1gut5otr.jpg
Edited by BobbyM15 on 07/18/2015 10:51 AM

Jackie Chan

BobbyM15
I'll be drilling the holes for the burners and doing the plumbing shortly, we'll see if I blow up lol.

I am also trying to decide how much space to put between the back of the drum and the rear face plate. I was thinking 2 inches. That should be sufficient for good airflow through the drum I would think. What do youse drum guys think?

Jackie Chan

Axel
Ringo wrote:

I think either one would work but I would think the 1/8 inch would be the one I would pick.

Any thoughts on wall thickness for a 24"x30" double wall drum?

Jump to Forum: