topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

peveleth
Offline
· 06/05/2020 3:10 PM
For Gene Cafe Roasters I have an older Gene Cafe Roaster. Temp fluctuates probably showing age. Question: For recent owners of the newer Gene Cafe Roaster, your opinions?

her63
Offline
· 06/02/2020 9:10 AM
keep healthy bro, love roaster form home

pisanoal
Offline
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,595
Newest Member: peveleth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
BobbyS

Quote

homeroaster wrote:

This roaster is awesome. I love the workmanship and the thought you put into it.


Thank You! It's a lot of fun to do one!
 
homeroaster

Quote

BobbyS wrote:

Interesting thing I found out about heat in my drum roaster. I have perforated steel as the back of the drum and pull air through in the normal way with a blower.

What I stumbled onto today while preheating for roasting is drum RPM vs temp. On my roaster, drum RPM controls heat through the drum to a certain amount. I am thinking at a higher RPM the holes in the perf steel on the back of the drum become more "open looking" to the heated air going through than when slower.

As the drum ET goes up, to a certain temp, the temp will level off and I can speed the drum up a bit and the heat will then again rise until it levels off.

I find it interesting that I can keep increasing drum RPM and increase heat inside the drum as well at the same gas setting.

My roaster is much less sophisticated, but when I went from a 32 RPM Motor to a 59, the Roasting time decreased. I just assumed I was adding more energy in the form of agitation, which aided in the process of heat transfer.
*********************
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com
http://www.facebook.com/EdNeedham1
*********************
 
http://www.homeroaster.com
BobbyS

Quote

homeroaster wrote:

Quote

BobbyS wrote:

Interesting thing I found out about heat in my drum roaster. I have perforated steel as the back of the drum and pull air through in the normal way with a blower.

What I stumbled onto today while preheating for roasting is drum RPM vs temp. On my roaster, drum RPM controls heat through the drum to a certain amount. I am thinking at a higher RPM the holes in the perf steel on the back of the drum become more "open looking" to the heated air going through than when slower.

As the drum ET goes up, to a certain temp, the temp will level off and I can speed the drum up a bit and the heat will then again rise until it levels off.

I find it interesting that I can keep increasing drum RPM and increase heat inside the drum as well at the same gas setting.

My roaster is much less sophisticated, but when I went from a 32 RPM Motor to a 59, the Roasting time decreased. I just assumed I was adding more energy in the form of agitation, which aided in the process of heat transfer.


I think what may happen: speeding up the drum keeps beans in the air a bit longer which in turn gives them more convection heat. Each roasting machine is probably different in the ratio of convection to conduction heat due to design. Roasting beans is a very interesting endeavor.
Edited by BobbyS on 05/12/2019 4:54 PM
 
BobbyS
Here are some consolidated photos of my bean roaster under construction. I am putting this up so folks do not have to go back to square one (post 1) if they want to see some photos.


https://imgur.com/a/N6Vo6MI
 
homeroaster
The more I see, the more awesomer it gets!BBQ grill
*********************
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com
http://www.facebook.com/EdNeedham1
*********************
 
http://www.homeroaster.com
BobbyS
Thanks !!
 
allenb
Very nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing a video showing beans tumbling out into the cooling tray.
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
 
BobbyS

Quote

allenb wrote:

Very nice indeed! Looking forward to seeing a video showing beans tumbling out into the cooling tray.


Thanks Allen!

Do we post a video the same as a photo? I wasn't sure if we could post videos.
 
allenb
Here you go

VIDEO'S:

You tube videos in my post:

Find the URL for the YouTube video you wish to embed. Find the ID of that video (whatever is after the v= in the URL. Let's say the ID is vr3x_RRJdd4 (which is the ID of a video for the Free Hugs Campaign)
Then you would enter the following into your post to embed the video:
PHP Code:

Please note that some browsers (Android) do not support Flash player and the video will not be seen with the [youtube] tag. Use the [video] tag instead with the full address of the video:
[video]http://www.youtube.comvr3x_RRJdd4[/video]
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana
 
BobbyS
Thank you sir!
 
BobbyS
I found out the hard way (as usual) not to wear flip flops when roasting. A hot bean flew out of the drum when I dumped and landed in between two of my toes.

400+F bean is really hot......Shock
 
NewBean
OMG lol same thing happen to us the other day but not that hot ! LOL safety shoes required Roflmao

Quote

BobbyS wrote:

I found out the hard way (as usual) not to wear flip flops when roasting. A hot bean flew out of the drum when I dumped and landed in between two of my toes.

400+F bean is really hot......Shock
 
BobbyS

Quote

NewBean wrote:

OMG lol same thing happen to us the other day but not that hot ! LOL safety shoes required Roflmao

Quote

BobbyS wrote:

I found out the hard way (as usual) not to wear flip flops when roasting. A hot bean flew out of the drum when I dumped and landed in between two of my toes.

400+F bean is really hot......Shock


or any type of shoe..............lol
 
NEcoffeesnob
This is an amazing build and I'm extremely jealous!

I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread or not, but I looked through this entire thread and wasn't able to find your budget and final cost for manufacturing this roaster.

Do you have those numbers and if so, would you mind sharing?

Thank you!
Tim
 
BobbyS

Quote

NEcoffeesnob wrote:

This is an amazing build and I'm extremely jealous!

I don't know if you're still monitoring this thread or not, but I looked through this entire thread and wasn't able to find your budget and final cost for manufacturing this roaster.

Do you have those numbers and if so, would you mind sharing?

Thank you!
Tim


Yes, I am here. I have no numbers on the cost as it was getting a part here and another there. I CAN tell you it cost me about $ 550.00 out of my pocket when I cut the end off of part of my right thumb lol.
 
kwrcst
Bobby, where did you get the stock pot for the cooling tray?
 
BobbyS
It was from an online restaurant supply in which the name escapes me. Most things escape me about 2 min. after I know it, or think I know it! lol
 
renatoa
Looks like a SS ice bucket... or similar.
If 5 liters, that can cool up to 1 kg of roast, is good for you. then I suggest the 5 qt ikea 30152346 steamer insert.
Check this video to see it in action with one pound of roasts.

https://youtu.be/6acgv5eyX0o
 
BobbyS
I probably got it off of eBay. It is 30 quart aluminum, 6mm thick wall and bottom.
 
BobbyS
I built my roaster as a 2k roaster. I finally charged it with 2k of Taz and it worked just like it should. So now I am a happy camper!

BBQ grill


Edit: I waited until I had a couple hundred pounds of roasting under my belt and I am glad I did. Learned a lot in the early roasts, but if you do your homework and kind of develop good guessing skillz to stay just a little bit ahead of the game it makes it easier lol.
Edited by BobbyS on 03/30/2020 10:56 PM
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Gas Fired Drum Roaster - Lets Build It Drum Roasters 45 06/05/2020 11:18 PM
Dereks 1-2Kg drum roaster build Drum Roasters 113 06/05/2020 8:54 PM
Another 1.5kg or 3lb drum roaster from scratch Building a Coffee Roaster 103 06/04/2020 11:07 PM
1 lb drum build Drum Roasters 39 03/11/2020 5:29 PM
mild steel 500g drum Drum Roasters 1 02/25/2020 2:08 PM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion copyright © 2002 - 2020 by Nick Jones.
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3.
Designed with by NetriX