Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Drum Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
BobbyS
OK, got the burners in solid and the igniters.

This is with 1"WC

i.imgur.com/entkJRH.jpg

i.imgur.com/xCjP7G8.jpg

This is with 6"WC

i.imgur.com/AgIqY16.jpg

I can get more out of it too. I need just a little more air, but I have larger air adjusters.

I am using a low pressure high output regulator for this and I think I will have plenty of heat.

Next is painting the front and back plates before cold weather, and then fabing the control panel.
Edited by BobbyS on 09-25-2018 15:28

btreichel
Real pretty!

BobbyS
thanks! lotsa work but a lot of fun too! Well except for my thumb lol.

btreichel
Yeah,. That thumb bit wasn't pretty!

BobbyS
Getting parts ready to paint Sunday (I hope) this is what I am going to use. Info says it's good to 1500F.

https://www.kbs-c...aints.html

i.imgur.com/W6Sixr0l.jpg

homeroaster
This looks like an awesome coffee roaster project. I'm anxious to see updates!
Ed Needham
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homero...
http://www.facebo...EdNeedham1

http://www.homeroaster.com
BobbyS
Thanks! After I paint it, and it dries, I will partially assemble it so I can heat it up to around 350F to cure the paint. The KB website says wait at least 8 hours after painting, then cure. The paint needs the heat cure so it will take higher heat and stay adhered better.

Will be interesting to see how it works. The paint is used on auto headers and BBQ grills so it should work for this (I hope lol).

BobbyS
OK, yayyyyy, the weather co-operated and I got to paint some parts. Hopefully tomorrow I can heat cure them. Getting closer little by little lol.

i.imgur.com/xrXCPUll.jpg

allenb
Wow, looking real good! Is that a semi gloss or eggshell sheen?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

allenb
Noticed you're near full output capacity of the burners at 1" WC making good resolution with a standard dial gauge impractical but going to a magnehelic style with a 1 or 2" full scale is in the $60 range. Another option is to replace the burner orifices with a smaller diameter bore where you could hit full output closer to 15" pressure and use the existing gauge and have good resolution.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS
Thanks Allen, it is flat jet black. I have a lot of light in my shop, bummer getting old lol.

I will give the orifice change a shot.

Ringo
Bobby
Having built a drum years ago i realize how good the work you are doing really is. That roaster looks so sharp you have to be really happy. After building one you realize how different parts you have to build. If it makes you feel any better i now have hundreds of roast on mine with the only maintenance is to clean the fans.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

BobbyS
Ringo wrote:

Bobby
Having built a drum years ago i realize how good the work you are doing really is. That roaster looks so sharp you have to be really happy. After building one you realize how different parts you have to build. If it makes you feel any better i now have hundreds of roast on mine with the only maintenance is to clean the fans.

Thanks Ringo!
I am happy with it. Your roaster was one of the one's that got me hooked, lol. Other forum members ( too numerous to list) roasters and help has been so tremendous and appreciated. That is great that you are a roasting master now.

Yup, many parts, hand made. Some of my relatives kept saying; what is taking so long for you to finish that roaster? I told them exactly that: hey come on over and show me how easy it is to fab steel parts out of bar stock and sheet steel with a drill press, horizontal saw, thumb eatin' 12" disc sander, hand drill and a MIG welder. No takers lol.

I could not have done my project without this forum and all the extremely knowledgeable folks that reside here and helped me!

Big huge thanks from me!

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Brandon
This is a really great looking build!

BobbyS
Brandon wrote:

This is a really great looking build!

Thank You! Welcome to the insanity!
Edited by BobbyS on 10-08-2018 13:38

BobbyS
Ok, got part of the control panel under way. Also got the control panel back welded onto the frame.

Cured the paint so far 3 times but I want a few more to be sure it will take the heat. Little by little, piece by piece, I march closer to the end.

As Allenb suggested I installed smaller orifices and it helped a huge amount with the flame adjustment. It is amazing how much difference there is between a #57 and a #60.

i.imgur.com/wLDhIcpl.jpg

i.imgur.com/ZV75USTl.jpg

i.imgur.com/dsKZxvJl.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 10-08-2018 13:40

allenb
Nice! Can't wait to see this baby browning some beans! Extremely well executed roaster.

Keep the updates coming

Allen

BobbyS
allenb wrote:

Nice! Can't wait to see this baby browning some beans! Extremely well executed roaster.

Keep the updates coming

Allen

You and me both Allen! Lol. Updates will follow for sure!

Jump to Forum: