bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6762
Donations
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Drum Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
BobbyS
Got the burners in and all the gas lines installed. Tomorrow I will see if the burner system is going to work or not.

allenb
When you get a moment, shoot us some photos of your burner arrangement.

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

BobbyS
OK, just finished my fire test. Didn't blow myself up and the test was great; nice blue flame and had plenty of oxygen from the bottom only. Only thing I noticed was I had max flame with my needle valve about halfway open.

The pellet stove blower works great and has a full range of air movement low to high. Heats up fast even without insulation. Helps I guess that ambient temp is 96*.

The gas inlet is right in the middle pointing down. I have an ET thermocouple centered above the shaft in the back plate. It is about 2-1/2" from the rear of the drum. Also have ET thermocouple in the front at the lower right corner of the bean chute. There is 65* temp difference between the two with the back one being higher temp.

It will be interesting to see if they level out with each other when I have beans in it and it is up to full temp. I constructed the burners this way for ease of assembly of the whole unit.

Miles to go before we sleep

i.imgur.com/jveZVXd.jpg

i.imgur.com/oylvdUH.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 07-29-2018 20:49

BobbyS
Working on getting the bean cooler mounted and then it's electrical and control time.connection.

https://www.youtu...xe3zkYlvNc
Edited by BobbyS on 08-01-2018 09:52

JackH
Looking good BobbyS!
It has been a long road for you with this roaster.

ThumbsUp
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

BobbyS
Thanks Jack!

Yes, it sure has been a long road, but sometimes life jumps out and grabs ya. All ya can do is keep on truckin'.

Not being a young-un anymore also slows the process lol.
Edited by BobbyS on 08-01-2018 10:20

Stew
BobbyS,
Thank you so much for keeping this thread alive and allowing us to follow your progress.
I would be interested in seeing more about your burners and gas control. The pictures that you posted earlier in the thread are no longer supported and the latest ones don't show a lot.
Also you haven't mentioned what motor and blower you are using. Would you be willing to post the details about them? I've started a build similar to yours only not as far along and I need to confirm and purchase the motor and blower before I can move on. Too many details hinge on there specifics.

Stew

BobbyS
The blower is a pellet stove blower that I found on ebay with a pellet stove speed control off of Amazon.

The drum drive motor I got from Surplus Center. They have all kinds of different ones to choose from. Ebay also has different motors. Just gotta decide on how big ya want to dough. You will want a geared motor for the speed to be close. Then you can dial in your speed with sprockets or what ever.

Burners are made from black pipe with the other parts from Tejas Smokers. If you go to these sights about 50 times each you will start to get a good idea what you want LOL.

Oh yeah, and go over every post you can find on this sight about drum roasters about 50 times too lol.

Yeah, the early images were on PhotoBucket and they quit hosting 3rd party so I quit PB.

Here are the ones I have left.

This is an early one of the drum and checking the truing. The drum is about 8.5" X 12" and was a piece of pipe turned down.

i.imgur.com/HpvVZgkm.jpg

This with the bean mixing blades in.

i.imgur.com/f6SzgBmt.jpg

Plexi glass cover on the end. This is with beans in and rotating 50 rpm. You can see the optimum mass of the beans

i.imgur.com/Y1gWA9km.jpg

This is the front plate that was water jet cut.

i.imgur.com/pP3vaMOt.jpg

Beginning of it finally going together,

i.imgur.com/1aa08zut.png

The pics on page 7 of this thread show good detail on much of this roaster.
Edited by BobbyS on 08-01-2018 20:18

btreichel
Looks like you do good work!

BobbyS
btreichel wrote:

Looks like you do good work!

Thank you!

Stew
"If you go to these sights about 50 times each you will start to get a good idea what you want LOL.
Oh yeah, and go over every post you can find on this sight about drum roasters about 50 times too lol."

Hahaha, I hear ya. I've been to many sites many times trying to understand all the various aspects involved in a roaster and looked at any pictures folks like you are willing to post gleaning ideas.

What CFM does the blower have? What is the HP rating on the motor? I'm concerned about being under powered but I also don't want to go bigger then necessary. Size and weight are a factor in my design, want it to be somewhat portable.

BobbyS
Stew wrote:

"If you go to these sights about 50 times each you will start to get a good idea what you want LOL.
Oh yeah, and go over every post you can find on this sight about drum roasters about 50 times too lol."

Hahaha, I hear ya. I've been to many sites many times trying to understand all the various aspects involved in a roaster and looked at any pictures folks like you are willing to post gleaning ideas.

What CFM does the blower have? What is the HP rating on the motor? I'm concerned about being under powered but I also don't want to go bigger then necessary. Size and weight are a factor in my design, want it to be somewhat portable.

how large will the drum be? How many beans are you planning on roasting?

Stew
Sorry that would be helpful information wouldn't it. I have a 10-3/8" ID pipe, 3/16 thick that I am planning on making 9" or 10 long. My hope was to roasted 1lb -5lbs but with that size I may be hard pressed to go as low as 1lb unless i make it shorter. Not sure about the dynamics of going larger dia. then long though.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

BobbyS
Stew wrote:

Sorry that would be helpful information wouldn't it. I have a 10-3/8" ID pipe, 3/16 thick that I am planning on making 9" or 10 long. My hope was to roasted 1lb -5lbs but with that size I may be hard pressed to go as low as 1lb unless i make it shorter. Not sure about the dynamics of going larger dia. then long though.

As some have said on this site, most drum roasters have the length just a bit more than the diameter. Have a look at Mill City roasters site, they give specs for their roasters including the drum size.

Stew
Ya I've looked into that as best I can but nothing definitive for sure. The difference between the 2k and 3k North roasters (as with other brands) is significant both diameter to length and cubic in and the volume they claim to roast. Makes me think that it's the ability to control heat, airflow and speed that are the real keys.
I'm still curious about the HP and CFM your using as the weight and volume of your roaster and what I'm planning are similar?

BobbyS
The blower is 160cfm and I will roast probably 2k of beans. I have no idea what the hp of the drum motor is as it's not marked. The one I picked is 12VDC so it is easier to control speed. Many folks go with AC and gear it with a chain or whatever to get the speed they want.

Much of this stuff is trial and error. It is up to you as how you want to make it work.You just need a motor with some torque and continuous duty. Look on eBay too.
Edited by BobbyS on 08-04-2018 20:41

Stew
Thanks very much Bobby. I understand it's much a case of what one has available and how to make it work, that's a large part of the enjoyment I get from doing projects like this. I was just trying to avoid spending money twice and pulling on the advice of others who have made it work to be sure I don't under size or needlessly over size either.
Really appreciate your responses.

BobbyS
Stew wrote:

Thanks very much Bobby. I understand it's much a case of what one has available and how to make it work, that's a large part of the enjoyment I get from doing projects like this. I was just trying to avoid spending money twice and pulling on the advice of others who have made it work to be sure I don't under size or needlessly over size either.
Really appreciate your responses.

You are Welcome. That's what the site is all about, helping each other as we stumble along lol. Need questions answered, that's what the site is all about, ask away lol!

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I, as well as others here, really enjoy making stuff and this project gave me that for sure since almost every part has to be fabricated. Like other endeavors, it's the journey and the great folks (HERE) that make it so enjoyable.

If anything I will always oversize some. The motor I am using is probably bit too strong, but I wanted the geared speed it had, and even more importantly for me, the shaft size I could use.

Sometimes you can get a good price on a motor or something that may be a little larger than what you planned for. Same with a blower, you can limit a blower that may be a bit too strong, but, you can't get more out of one that is too small.

In this photo you see both the blower and drive motor. The drive motor isn't real big but it has good gearing and is rated continuous duty. The shaft I used through the drum is 3/4 inch dia. The blower fan is about 5 inch dia.

This is the blower I used as it was only $80.00 plus shipping.
https://www.ebay....p;_sacat=0

i.imgur.com/P0pAaW0.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 08-05-2018 11:45

BobbyS
Maybe this will help someone.

Had the drum out and since I lost all my photobucket images I will post this.
This is the back of the drum and this is how I attached the perf metal to the back.

I used the mixing vanes as a stop for the cover.

i.imgur.com/jzlbkmel.jpg
Edited by BobbyS on 08-09-2018 20:35

Jump to Forum: