bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6635
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » BUILDING A ROASTER » Drum Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Bobby M15's drum
btreichel
:thumbdown-gifShockhNo Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

BobbyS
btreichel wrote:

:thumbdown-gifShockhNo Bummer. Sorry to hear that.

cross fingers

BobbyS
i'll be back.......................

soon....

soon as i grow some thumb

ThumbsUp

BobbyS
Well, since I am working mostly one handed, and left handed at that. I have at least been able to work on the control part of my roaster.

Getting some things mocked up and lined out. Thumb is healing slow.

BobbyS
Thumb is slowly healing, ordered some more 12" 40 grit discs. cut some steel yesterday, slow going using mostly one hand but, like my doc said, **** happens. I am fortunate.

this is only an inconvenience, a little slow up in the work process on the roaster. I'm chomping at the bit, can't wait to "git er done" and fire it up.

but the time off from steel working has given me time to work on the control side of it, so, a little harm, no foul lol.

btreichel
I have a 4.3? in tft touchscreen for mine now.

BobbyS
btreichel wrote:

I have a 4.3? in tft touchscreen for mine now.

cool, which one?

btreichel
Ops, 3.5. adafruit 2050. Power on one side, fan on the other, timer that marks drop (start), dry, fc, and dump (stop). Plus bt, ror, and any other data I can think of. Probably cheaper ones, but spare from another project. Yeah, lcd with 4 pushbuttons would do the same thing, but...

BobbyS
I've got a nifty little PLC that is gonna do the thinking and doing part of mine. I am going to connect up with a laptop and AdvancedHMI along with Artisan.

BobbyS
btreichel wrote:

Ops, 3.5. adafruit 2050. Power on one side, fan on the other, timer that marks drop (start), dry, fc, and dump (stop). Plus bt, ror, and any other data I can think of. Probably cheaper ones, but spare from another project. Yeah, lcd with 4 pushbuttons would do the same thing, but...

wow, that is really inexpensive @ 39.95

if I am looking at the same one

btreichel
Really, I figure adafruit stuff goes for a premium because of the known quality, support, and libraties. But I do like there stuff for that reason. Will eventually post pictures of the interface. Heater, up, down, fan also,. Timer function, and 6 * 10 lines left over in the center for data. I'm running spi, so I have 4 analogs left over. They get 2 TC's, a voltage sensor, and a current sensor.

btreichel
Ok guys, forget using the TFT I mentioned. I'm using spi to drive it to save pins and it takes 2 ms to write a single character. I discovered this when I wondered why I was getting a 'pulsed' drop out of the heater power. Tried to do a timer 2 interrupt to schedule the triac firings, but that stopped the display from working. My UNO has every pin, but rx, tx used, so I really can't switch things around.

Summary, TFT.print takes too long, and taking an interrupt seems to mess with its functionality.

BobbyS
thanks!

ThomasCee
Hey man, heal up fast. So sorry for the injury.
I am watching and taking lots of notes on the project.
Can't wait to see how it finishes up.

BobbyS
ThomasCee wrote:

Hey man, heal up fast. So sorry for the injury.
I am watching and taking lots of notes on the project.
Can't wait to see how it finishes up.

Thanks! it is starting to get some skin and tissue back and I have been doing some small stuff to the roaster that doesn't take any hard gripping. I think in another week or so it will be a bit better and more mobile.

btreichel
I actually got the tft to work without any resource conflict. I have the zero crossing interrupt on pin 2, 3 & 4 are part of the tft pins, 5 & 6 are triac drivers, etc. I'm using timer2 to drive isr's to drive the triac pins, which allows the uno to handle writing to the tft without interfering with the triac timing. 7 & 8 are used for the touchscreen decoding, 9 & 10 are available for servo, or other pwm functions, 11- 13 are tft again.

Using timer 2 loses the tone() function, but keeps the millis(), micros() funtions etc. Of course 0 & 1 are serial comm.
Edited by btreichel on 05-07-2018 16:26

BobbyS
sounds like it's coming along pretty well. sometimes it just takes some tweaking.

KSkip
Bobby you're an inspiration. I have been collecting information from around the web to build exactly what you're working on. I may step down in budget and see how much salvaging I can do without having to order too much custom steel.

I've got two questions.
1: Where did you source your drum material from?
2: For airflow during roasting are you doing a blower motor or are you just relying on the hot air from the burner to flow through your inlet gate and eventually out your exhaust?

Thanks and hope you're healing well!

BobbyS
KSkip wrote:

Bobby you're an inspiration. I have been collecting information from around the web to build exactly what you're working on. I may step down in budget and see how much salvaging I can do without having to order too much custom steel.

I've got two questions.
1: Where did you source your drum material from?
2: For airflow during roasting are you doing a blower motor or are you just relying on the hot air from the burner to flow through your inlet gate and eventually out your exhaust?

Thanks and hope you're healing well!

hi KSkip,

Getting better day by day. Thanks for asking!

I used a piece of 8" pipe. Pipe is not very round and even thinner pipe has a fairly thick wall. So I had it turned. If I was doing it again I would go to a good machine shop or fab shop and have them roll me one the correct thickness to start with.

As slow as a drum turns pipe might be fine without turning. It would take some trial and error to try and get it centered as good as possible but might be doable.

I am going to pull air through the drum so it can be controlled.

Good luck on your build. Pics or it didn't happen. BBQ grill

Jump to Forum: