Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
07/17/2019 3:46 AM
Almost a year since I donated ... So,I did it again.

snwcmpr
07/17/2019 1:54 AM
It seems some like to post here in the shoutbox and never return.

ziggyk
07/16/2019 7:58 AM
drum size

snwcmpr
07/14/2019 9:36 AM
BBQ grill

JackH
07/14/2019 7:09 AM
I am glad it is working Ken!

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,049
Newest Member: goritz
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 50.00
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What to look for when buying green wholesale?
WorkbenchRoastCo
I'm getting to the point where I'll need to start ordering green coffee in larger quantities than places like Sweet Maria's will offer.

The wholesale green coffee market out there is pretty overwhelming. Anyone have suggestions on what to look for when buying green from the multitude of suppliers? I don't necessarily need to know who to buy from, just what factors are important when evaluating what coffee is good and what isn't.

Thanks!

ginny
Jacob,

are you roasting for business, just your family and friends or??

are you buying for price point only, do you want a small numbers of origin coffee or?

it is hard to know how to respond.

the obvious is fresh greens, where were they grown, are there cupping notes?

I could go on, but I am not sure exactly what you are looking for.

how long have you been roasting and what do you roast in?

ginny

Sweet Maria has the Shrub as well that sells big bags.

WorkbenchRoastCo
I've been roasting for about a year on a Behmor, just for friends and family. But I'm looking to start a small-scale commercial operation, roasting on an Ambex YM-10.

To clarify, I've browsed a number of suppliers selling big bags and am wondering how to differentiate between their offerings. I'm pretty familiar with the characteristics of different coffees from different regions, but how does one decide between one company's bag of Yirgacheffe and another's? Rarely have I seen as much detailed information as you get from Sweet Maria's.

In short: how do you distinguish between Company A and Company B's coffee that's coming from the same region?

ginny
Hello again:

you get samples, roast it and cup it. until you KNOW a company personally you gotta taste. even when you know them you must taste it and any company worth their salt will be happy to provide you with samples.

ginny

rockon

WorkbenchRoastCo
It truly is a labor of love... :)

Thanks!

RebelliousRoaster
Where you are in the country makes a difference as shipping is a HUGE expense.You will first want to know where the suppliers are warehousing their coffees.

For example I'm located in the Pacific North West and although I have several suppliers I try to get everything out of Seattle because the dock workers strike in California is making coffee difficult to get.

Once you are localized you find the selection is greatly reduced. In fact you often find that several suppliers are selling from the SAME shipment.

From there get samples, get cupping notes and get to know your supplier. Once you develop a relationship a good supplier will learn what you like a be able to make recommendations.

Buying greens is a learning curve all its own. And, selecting and anticipating that next shipment is nearly as fun as roasting them.

Good luck.

WorkbenchRoastCo
Awesome, thank you!

Jump to Forum: