Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

CharcoalRoaster
11/04/2019 1:58 AM
+1 snwcmpr

snwcmpr
11/03/2019 2:16 AM
Can we make the shoutbox UNAVAILABLE until a member has a certain number of posts?

allenb
11/01/2019 2:20 AM
Funopt, please post in the gas and electric heat sources forum

Funopt
10/30/2019 5:17 AM
Can someone help me for using forced propane burner as my heating element. I rather want to use lpg than electric. Do you think it would work

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,236
Newest Member: dale67
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Buying a Roaster: 3 Years of Reflection
Army Coffee
3 Years into roasting and it has been a wonderful journey. I am, by far, NOT an expert, but I have traveled a long journey in a fairly short time. I started with a Popcorn Popper, fell in love with roasting, bought a Gene Café, lost my mind when it broke with little to no customer support, and finally bought a used Hottop from a great local guy on Craigslist. My journey is definitely not complete, but I have learned a few things I would like to share.

1. I wish I stayed with my Popcorn Popper until I could have afforded the Hottop. Please don't get me wrong, I loved my Gene Café, but simply put, it is not a machine that lends itself to being self-repaired. Maybe if the support was better, but it simply is not worth the time and money to fix and I still have not found a place I can rely on for the technical support in problem solving. I got over 2 great years out of my Gene Café and loved everything I roasted in it.

2. Going Big. Ironically, when my Gene Café died, a local guy was selling his Hottop on Craigslist. It had some miles on it, but it was well cared for and he spent some time showing me how to disassemble and clean her. It was time well spent and I appreciated him showing me. I think he was happy to see her going to a good home too! The Hottop USA site is unbelievable and they are incredible about replying to emails almost instantly. I have had to make two repairs (Fusible Link and Drum Motor). Fusible link was easily diagnosed with a quick email and voltage test. Motor was a result of getting my vacuum stuck in it while it was turning. Both repairs were easy to perform and unbelievable support got the parts to me in a few days. Think the motor was going anyway because the new motor is unbelievably quiet! This machine is built to last and Hottop knows that because they have every part you could possibly need to get you back up and running. If you are serious about roasting, START WITH THIS ROASTER!

3. Become an avid follower of this Forum! Everyone in here are energetic and passionate about roasting. Might be because of all the Caffeine, but it is a great group of people to connect with. Still have not connected with any local Home Roasters here in Kansas City, but ready. Let's Do It!!!

Hope this posting helps some Newbie out there ready to take the plunge. It is without a doubt one of the most enjoyable hobbies you can have and people will be amazed when you talk about it. Funny thing is, they think it is hard. Keep it between us, because it is EASY!

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

turtle
Great advice and a nice synopses of your 3 years into roasting.

I will jump in and second your Hottop recommendation. A older "needs work" model B was my first foray into roasting (I never go small if I think it is something I will enjoy).

I've since modified it about as far as I can go without getting outrageous, making sure that each mod had a backup option so that I would not paint myself into a corner should something go south.

Nice design and quality built home coffee roaster and one that anyone even thinking about roasting coffee at home should consider.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/cartCellHolder1_zpsfbbc142a.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Army Coffee
WOW!

Love the cart...Definitely my next project...You Sir have inspired me to take it to the next level!!!

...I am sure my wife will thank you for this! http://forum.homeroasters.org/images/smiley/roflmao.gif
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

turtle
Army Coffee wrote:

WOW!

Love the cart...Definitely my next project...You Sir have inspired me to take it to the next level!!!

...I am sure my wife will thank you for this! http://forum.homeroasters.org/images/smiley/roflmao.gif

I do not think that SWMBO would allow coffee roasting "inside" so the cart was diffidently the ticket for me.

I bought the cart the same day I bought the Hottop and they arrived together and have been together ever since.

I have a walk out basement and can push the cart out of a door onto my patio to roast.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/Hottop/roaster_near_bath_door_zps3f11cb24.jpg

Now the cart has been re-purposed for my next roaster (San Franciscan 1 lb electric batch/sample roaster).

2-3 more weeks and this will be my "home" coffee roasting set up. It's another "it's nice but needs work" project

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/sf-cart1_zpscbf79167.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

Jump to Forum: