Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

snwcmpr
10/16/2019 2:52 PM
Thank you for all you guys do.

JackH
10/15/2019 2:02 AM
They seem to be after the shoutbox. They have been removed. I don't see anything in the forums.

snwcmpr
10/14/2019 3:27 PM
We have been hacked. A whole lot of posts that have filled up the whole forum.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 1
snwcmpr

Total Members: 6,196
Newest Member: donfromindy
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rebuild of San Franciscan 1 IB roaster
ginny
your welcome Mick...

BobbyM15
@Turtle

Does your Franciscan roaster use any insulation?
Coffee is a language in itself.

Jackie Chan

turtle
BobbyM15 wrote:

@Turtle

Does your Franciscan roaster use any insulation?

Piles of it. Two layers around the roasting chamber One under the bolts, one over the bolts.

First layer

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/insulation1_zpscjqvtxsf.jpg

Second layer

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/insulation3_zpsvyxba7gp.jpg

From the open front end showing both layers

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/roastBasket_zpsb09e0ea2.jpg
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

BobbyM15
Thanks!
Coffee is a language in itself.

Jackie Chan

turtle
Another roast on the SF-1

I can't seem to get past 11 minutes

Sweet Maria's Rwanda Mutovu cooperitive

1# roast weight (16 oz)

Preheated to 250º - burner @ 50% until 200 then 80% - dropped @ 250º
Lowest BT 138º @ 1 min - burner @ 80%
Return to drop temp (250) @ 4 min 30 sec - burner 80%
Start of dry 270º @ 5 min - burner down to 60%
First crack @ 385º @ 9 min 30 sec - burner down to 50%
Start of 2nd crack @ 398º 10 min 15 sec - burner OFF
dumped beans @ 405º 11 min even

Roast right at city + No oils. Nice aroma. Even roast. No "speckles"

Brewed 2 cups in a small chemex and the taste is VERY acceptable so maybe I am worrying about a NON issue

I can replace the dial gauge with another probe and interface with artisan through the TM-56 datalogger.

Would an artisan graph be more helpful to find out what and where and why I am not getting a longer roast time?

Not sure what to do to extend the roast time another minute or two

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/4-17-2015_rwanda_zpsjilgu9s1.jpg

turtle
The final piece of the puzzle falls into place today.

Removed the ET dial gauge and replaced it with a K-type thermocouple.

Checked out 100% (same reading from both probes when cold).

I can either just keep manually logging using my Amprobe TMD-56 or plug in the USB to a lappy and log on Artisan.

Everything talks together well so maybe my next roast will be logged by artisan instead of by me and a pen.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/6-15-2015_2_probes2_zpsttwvhjcp.jpg

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/6-15-2015_2_probes_zps16rbf4ul.jpg

the big dial does look far cooler but I have missed using artisan to log with,

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/4-3-2015_sf1_zpsfmkauuxv.jpg

turtle
this looks SO different from what I am used to seeing.....

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/artisan_graphs/mex_6-15-2015_zpsckutnjsy.gif

turtle
ginny wrote:

ok so that's it? what are you used to seeing turtle/aka mick

perhaps you could explain it to the rest of us...

not sure anyone knows what you are referring to unless you post a before and after.

ginny

beach

First artisan log with the SF-1. I followed my written profile as far as burner settings and time and temp came out the same. Never seen the ET as closely as the dial gauge was pretty much ignored. Hard for me to reference in my mind a sweep dial and digital read out simultaneously

Used to seeing the hottop being real run wide open and being real sluggish

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/artisan_graphs/colombian_6-12-2014_zpse647a191.gif

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/artisan_graphs/etheopia_7-1-2014_zps3f1335f6.gif

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/roasts/artisan_graphs/nicaragua_7-1-2014_zpsd514444e.gif

LongLeafSoaps
turtle wrote:

Made the move from the garage into the basement and onto the cart.

Fits like it was made for the cart. Once I get caught up from being gone for a month I will start tearing it apart, cleaning, and rewiring it.

You would not know by looking at the pics but it weighs close to 100lbs.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/sf-cart1_zpscbf79167.jpg

Wow! What a great find, and it looks all pleased with itself sitting on its new cart! Grin
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
That is just a thing of beauty! Grin

So, is this pretty much what you roast with all the time now? Do you still have it? Any problems with the burners? Is the fan strong enough?

I have looked sideways at the sample roasters on ebay for a while now....I just haven't pulled the trigger...not sure if I want to add roasting for everyone I know to my long list of hobbies just yet, lol!

ETA: Good idea with the fire extinguisher on the bottom shelf ;)
Edited by ginny on 01/23/2016 12:09 AM
Carpe Diem With Coffee

turtle
LongLeafSoaps wrote:

That is just a thing of beauty! Grin

So, is this pretty much what you roast with all the time now? Do you still have it? Any problems with the burners? Is the fan strong enough?

I have looked sideways at the sample roasters on ebay for a while now....I just haven't pulled the trigger...not sure if I want to add roasting for everyone I know to my long list of hobbies just yet, lol!

ETA: Good idea with the fire extinguisher on the bottom shelf ;)

I still have my modified hottop but I have not used it in quite a while. Sold it..... then while testing before I packed it up one of the SPDP switches broke. I explained to the purchaser that I needed to repair it before sending. One thing led to another (real life got in the way) and I still have not put the new switch in. I really need to do this and see if they are still interested in getting it. More than likely they have moved on and I will need to put it up for sale again if I really want to sell it. It would be nice to have it around while I am updating the SF-1.

I have always kept a fire extinguisher near my roasters. Both of the ones I purchased had been on fire before I got them. Not since I have owned them but it could happen and if I roast enough, more than likely it will happen. I have an extinguisher that is designed for electronics so it should not hurt the roasters other than making a mess.

I use the SF-1 once a week to every 10 days and run two 1lb batches through it during each roasting session.

I could roast more but I do not want to get into the coffee biz. I roast for myself and family and that is all I desire to do.

I have not taken the burners over 80% as I need to fabricate a baffle between the burner chamber and the chamber that holds the SSRs. One of the SSRs is starting to look a little "melty" on the outside from the heat coming into that area from the burners. This has not effected how things work as SSRs either work or they don't (when they fail the just go dark).

I have another enclosure that I want to put my TC4C+LCD into along with a slider to control the burners so I can remove the wort boiler controller from the roaster that I started with. I will fabricate the baffle at that time as everything will be back apart when I rewire the roaster with the new controller.

I like using this commercial "mini roaster". It makes roasting FUN...

There are drawbacks. It takes longer to pre-heat things up to a stable temp than it does to do 2 roasts and the cool down is hours for all of that thick steel to cool enough for me to feel safe to roll it back inside my house.

Time for 2 roasts:

45-60 minutes to preheat
12-14 minutes for each roast + another 4 to cool down
2 + hours to cool down.

Commercial roasters are designed for production work, not onezy twozay roasts once a week.

It is like the Bunn commercial brewers. they WANT to make a LOT of coffee (volume production of good coffee) but they can make a single pot in the morning.

If you are looking at commercial batch roasters, look seriously at the Dietrich IR-1 and the San Franciscan SF-1. Both are top of their class in design and construction.

http://www.diedri.../IR-Series

http://www.sanfra...com/sf-1lb

"A penny saved is a penny earned" is a good moto

BUT

"Penny wise and pound foolish" is something you should also consider when making a decision

Buy with the idea that you will NOt be upgrading.

I was told this word of advice by a retired army colonel many years ago:

"it is better to spend too much for a perfect example addition to your collection than it is to get something reasonabley priced that is not perfect, not be satisfied, then be still searching for what you just purchased."

"In the long run you will save money spending too much on one perfect item than you will buying 4 or more OK items and still be in search of your perfect addition"

LongLeafSoaps
turtle wrote:

I could roast more but I do not want to get into the coffee biz. I roast for myself and family and that is all I desire to do.

I have not taken the burners over 80% as I need to fabricate a baffle between the burner chamber and the chamber that holds the SSRs. One of the SSRs is starting to look a little "melty" on the outside from the heat coming into that area from the burners. This has not effected how things work as SSRs either work or they don't (when they fail the just go dark). .

Don't you find it hard to "not" get into the coffee biz?
Do your neighbors know you roast coffee?

The first coffee I shared, they asked for more, lol! I literally have way too many irons in the fire to start roasting for profit, but on the other hand, I want to be able to roast in a day, all at once, and not have to wait for the machine to cool down between roasts...I will have to say though, the SC/TO does do a good job at roasting a 1/2 lb +, very even, good control.

I have a nice heat sink here if I can find it..I think it is on the 3rd floor...you are welcome to it if you want it..I will look for it today, and send you a picture if I find it. You could put a piece of Kaowool in there, and actually between the drum cover and the outer case too for insulation...this is the stuff that is used in blacksmithing gas forge builds. Follow the handling precautions strictly though, as you don't want to breath in the fibers. Nasty stuff I guess till it is covered...ThumbsUp

Meet my new baby, it's a Peter Wright about 150 lbs (not sure if the photo will place in this spot-nope):

SEE PHOTO BELOW

turtle wrote:

Commercial roasters are designed for production work, not onezy twozay roasts once a week. .

Yep...refer to quote below! Grin

turtle wrote:

If you are looking at commercial batch roasters, look seriously at the Dietrich IR-1 and the San Franciscan SF-1. Both are top of their class in design and construction. .

Yeah, I think it would be tough to decide between the two...so, would you have "rather"" had a gas roaster if you could have had your druthers?

turtle wrote:

Buy with the idea that you will NOT be upgrading.

"it is better to spend too much for a perfect example addition to your collection than it is to get something reasonably priced that is not perfect, not be satisfied, then be still searching for what you just purchased."

"In the long run you will save money spending too much on one perfect item than you will buying 4 or more OK items and still be in search of your perfect addition"

This quote is great...and yep, I totally agree! ThumbsUp
LongLeafSoaps attached the following image:
peter_wright.jpg

Edited by LongLeafSoaps on 01/24/2016 1:39 AM
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
turtle wrote:

I want a basic on/off switch that cuts power to the entire roaster at the flip of a switch.

That way when I plug it in I am not instantly passing current somewhere inside the roaster.

Sorry if it was mentioned..I think I missed reading a whole page here..but could you install a kill switch to the outlet you will be using, of course, that limits to where you would be plugging it in...
Carpe Diem With Coffee

turtle
LongLeafSoaps wrote:

turtle wrote:

I want a basic on/off switch that cuts power to the entire roaster at the flip of a switch.

That way when I plug it in I am not instantly passing current somewhere inside the roaster.

Sorry if it was mentioned..I think I missed reading a whole page here..but could you install a kill switch to the outlet you will be using, of course, that limits to where you would be plugging it in...

I ended up re-using the original main power relay system after replacing the blown original part. I first tried another DP/DT 240V switch (I gave up on this as it was just too large to fit anywhere without adding a separate AC connection box)

the roaster needed to be fed 240 VAC via 4 wires so I needed to source a receptacle and plug that carried 4 wires from the breaker panel to the roaster. I used an industrial plug/socket. Not something you would find at Lowes.

This rebuild was not "normal" The folks at Coffee PER had never seen one of this model. They believed that 4 were made but they had no records of them existing.

I was left "reinventing the wheel" and what I built was not what the company sold except for the carcass (the metal parts, motors, etc). The burners and controller were of my design. I did not need to "design and build" the components but I did need to search out, locate, and interface them all together. The first choice failed. Luckily the second one worked and I am still using it until I can go to the 3rd revision of the burner controls.

I was lucky to have the help of some very knowledgeable HRO members. The group consisted of engineers through electricians and without their help this roaster would never have been brought back from the grave.

I have used it long enough now to know where I want to go with it but it is working so well in the current manual configuration that I hate to tear it all apart and change it.

It is a nice, consistent, roaster. I was VERY lucky to end up with it (complete fluke and series of events that resulted in it being offered to me).

turtle
LongLeafSoaps wrote:

Don't you find it hard to "not" get into the coffee biz?
Do your neighbors know you roast coffee?

The first coffee I shared, they asked for more, lol! I literally have way too many irons in the fire to start roasting for profit, but on the other hand, I want to be able to roast in a day, all at once, and not have to wait for the machine to cool down between roasts...I will have to say though, the SC/TO does do a good job at roasting a 1/2 lb +, very even, good control.

No, none of my neighbors know I roast coffee.

I've only shared my coffee with one other person and that was by accident. I did not have enough time to drink a cup of coffee before taking the Rover in for service so I took a thermal carafe into the shop. I offered some to the owner and employees. They enjoyed it but I did not "talk" about roasting it.

there are two stellar artisan coffee roasters here in my little college town. One of them was runner up as "Roast Magazine's Micro Roaster of the Year" The other is just as impressive and has their roasts on the shelf of all the major grocery stores here in town (the big box stores, Kroger, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods, etc). Why I bother roasting when I have access to such fantastic coffee has been a source of contention between the wife and myself. She says,"why bother". I say "becuse I like to do it" but I do have to wonder. I source my green from both of these artisan roasting shops but I have never "talked coffee" or "roasting" with either of them (too busy and always in a rush I guess).

LongLeafSoaps wrote:
Meet my new baby, it's a Peter Wright about 150 lbs

A woman with an anvil. You are my kind of girl ThumbsUp

Do you have a lathe too?!?!?!?

On my 18th birthday my father gave me a bench vise. I was not as impressed as I should have been when I unwrapped it. He knew what he was doing. I've used that vise more than any other gift I have ever received. Every time I use it I say "THANKS DAD"

LongLeafSoaps wrote:
turtle wrote:

If you are looking at commercial batch roasters, look seriously at the Dietrich IR-1 and the San Franciscan SF-1. Both are top of their class in design and construction. .

Yeah, I think it would be tough to decide between the two...so, would you have "rather"" had a gas roaster if you could have had your druthers?

You could not go wrong with either of them.

Before you get a commercial batch roaster you need to decide on which brand of production roaster you "may" purchase should you move to becoming a commercial artisan coffee roaster. You will want to be able to bring your profiles directly from the batch roaster to your production roaster and having the batch roaster designed by the same company to have the exact same roasting characteristics as a production machine is of paramount importance.

SO....

Decide on a commercial roaster, even if you have no intention of ever buying one, BEFORE you look at batch roasters.

Very few batch roasters are electric. It is too difficult to match the performance of electric to gas and there are even fewer all electric commercial roasting machines so if you are thinking of going into coffee roasting production stick with a gas batch roaster.

My SF-1 has the stand offs for gas burners so it was always in the back of my mind that I could just give up on the all electric re-build and just toss in some burners and controls and move on.

I persisted with the electric option only because it was such a rare bird. I am not one to toss out a nice Ferrari v-12 engine and replace it with a 350 Chevy just because I don't understand how it works

LongLeafSoaps wrote:

turtle wrote:

Buy with the idea that you will NOT be upgrading.

"it is better to spend too much for a perfect example addition to your collection than it is to get something reasonably priced that is not perfect, not be satisfied, then be still searching for what you just purchased."

This quote is great...and yep, I totally agree! ThumbsUp

this has helped me out more times than I can tell you about.

I'm not afraid to spend "too much" money on something that I will not need to update/replace even if I need to eat beans and rice for several months to do it. I like beans and rice.

LongLeafSoaps
turtle wrote:

A woman with an anvil. You are my kind of girl ThumbsUp

Do you have a lathe too?!?!?!?

HAHAHAHA!!! I actually have a metal (mini lathe) AND a bench top wood lathe...both still sitting there looking at me plaintively..waiting for me to finish rearranging the basement and building the benches for them...

I make spinning wheels ;) https://www.faceb...amp;type=3 AND orifice hooks for spinning wheels: https://www.faceb...ploaded=12 Oh gosh...please don't look at the horrible backdrops I have set up, or the over compensation, lol!

turtle wrote:
On my 18th birthday my father gave me a bench vise. I was not as impressed as I should have been when I unwrapped it. He knew what he was doing. I've used that vise more than any other gift I have ever received. Every time I use it I say "THANKS DAD"

Smart dad...my dad was mad I wasn't a boy, lol! My brother...he could care less about making squat...

turtle wrote:
If you are looking at commercial batch roasters, look seriously at the Dietrich IR-1 and the San Franciscan SF-1. Both are top of their class in design and construction.

Before you get a commercial batch roaster you need to decide on which brand of production roaster you "may" purchase should you move to becoming a commercial artisan coffee roaster. You will want to be able to bring your profiles directly from the batch roaster to your production roaster and having the batch roaster designed by the same company to have the exact same roasting characteristics as a production machine is of paramount importance.

SO....

Decide on a commercial roaster, even if you have no intention of ever buying one, BEFORE you look at batch roasters.

Very few batch roasters are electric. It is too difficult to match the performance of electric to gas and there are even fewer all electric commercial roasting machines so if you are thinking of going into coffee roasting production stick with a gas batch roaster.

I think I would prefer gas over electric...it is what I use at home to cook with, unrelated? Maybe...maybe not.....Oh, and I like beans & rice too, just depends on what you want bad enough to give up some other things I guess...I would have never thought I would have the money for a sock machine either, but now I have 4 of them!
Carpe Diem With Coffee

LongLeafSoaps
Heat Sink...screw driver should give you an idea about the size...
LongLeafSoaps attached the following images:
heat_sink_3.jpg heat_sink_2.jpg heat_sink_1.jpg

Carpe Diem With Coffee

hbboyd
Turtle, you didn't happen to take some dimensions of the drum did you? Do you know if it's the same as the gas version?

turtle
hbboyd wrote:

Turtle, you didn't happen to take some dimensions of the drum did you? Do you know if it's the same as the gas version?

I did not measure anything as it was all complete as far as the drum, chamber, motors, cyclone, etc.

I did have Coffee PER rebuild the drum housing (sent it to them and they repaired it).

My electric is identical to a gas with the exception of the heating source. It has stand offs for the gas burners and I even contemplated going with gas if I could not get it running as an electric, but I did so....

Jump to Forum: