Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,203
Newest Member: Dave Tee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Rebuild of San Franciscan 1 IB roaster
turtle
Well....

I've enjoyed using my modified hottop for a couple of years now and decided to go to the next level.

I found a 1 lb San Franciscan (220V electric) sample roaster that "needs work" and I will be tearing it down and rebuilding it. It has been sitting in my garage since I returned from a trip last Saturday and I am ready to tear into it (more than ready)

It "should" fit on the cart I built for my hottop so I will be pushing it in and out on the patio to do my roasting, same as I have done for the past few years.

http://i1066.phot...bc142a.jpg

My problem is that I cannot locate anything online where anyone has done the type of customizations that I've done to the hottop (courtesy of this forum and it's dedicated members).

I "think" I can use the same type of interface and probes I used on the hottop but if I want to control temp and fan I will need to go from DC on the boards to relays and 220V to the roaster which is a little beyond my ability.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

turtle attached the following images:
sf1.jpg sf5.jpg sf3.jpg

Edited by ginny on 12/20/2014 5:07 AM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

snwcmpr
Wow!
A roaster is town just got one. He has 3 now, 1 small, 1 medium, and 1 large.
The new small one has probes. It's new, so I assume SF has the parts to add probes to your roaster. At least it is worth checking with them.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

ginny
turtle:

what a freaking cool score...

I wish I had seen that for sale.

I am sure you will find help here. thanks for posting.

ginny

cool

threwitallaway
turtle, Gotta admit I'm jealous! That looks exactly like the one that was on ebay some months back. In retrospect, I wished I would have got it when I saw it. I hope the teardown/rebuild goes well. And yes, we will be expecting pics of the finished product!

Best regards,
-nate

allenb
I'm just a little jealous! Shock

Great find!

I "think" I can use the same type of interface and probes I used on the hottop but if I want to control temp and fan I will need to go from DC on the boards to relays and 220V to the roaster which is a little beyond my ability.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

For our control experts to better help you, let us know what the heating element amp draw and configuration is. Also, do you see any good spots for temp sensors? Fan motor voltage/type?

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Omega
I could relate to roasting on that nice little roaster! ThumbsUp

Keep us all updated!

Barry

turtle
Made the move from the garage into the basement and onto the cart.

Fits like it was made for the cart. Once I get caught up from being gone for a month I will start tearing it apart, cleaning, and rewiring it.

You would not know by looking at the pics but it weighs close to 100lbs.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/sf-cart1_zpscbf79167.jpg
Edited by ginny on 12/18/2014 4:54 AM

turtle
ah oh... looks like someone played Edward Scissor Hands with the insides Shock

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/ah-oh_zpse57701c0.jpg

turtle
Very well made and easy to disassemble.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/sf_broken_down_zps2be0106e.jpg

turtle
I had a nice conversation with the people at San Franciscan about this roaster.

Here is what I have to work with.

They have "heard" about 220V 1lb batch/sample roasters but they have no documentation on them. They "believe" that only a handful were made by the company founder and no one currently working there has seen one in person.

So it sounds like I am on my own with this "custom rebuild"

BUT...

They did give me an idea of what was used as the heat element (Grainger 1A502 or1A503)

Grainger 1A502 http://www.graing...-Kit-1A502

300 -500 F
1440 watt
6 amp
220V

Grainger 1A50:3: http://www.graing...-Kit-1A503

500 -760 F
1680 watt
7 amp
220V

There are no markings on the elements in the roaster and I do not know how to test them other than for continuity (no opens so should work)

Given that I can find these elements in the following heat ranges what should I put in this roaster?

There are hook ups for 2 elements side by side under the drum and these heating elements come in values from 600 Watt (200-300°) all the way to 1740 Watt (750-1000°) TIMES TWO. I suppose I could go a high and low element or any combination of these

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/heating_element_chart_zps4a5d5ea4.gif

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/heaters-1_zpsd00362da.jpg

snwcmpr
Before you put the elements in it, have you considered putting in gas burners? I thought they usually had gas burners. So, I would think they would have those for you, ready to put in.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

turtle
They did not hold out a lot of hope of converting it to gas since there is so much involved.

I would prefer electric as I will use it on a cart and it needs to be mobile. A propane bottle would add too much weight and require me to do something different for a cart. Right now it is about to the max the cart can handle with that much weight on it.

Natural gas would be way too much headache to hook the line up each time I wanted to roast.

220v is the ticket for me which is why I had interest in this roaster.

I'm going to take the rest of the roaster off of the board, clean up the wood and start putting it back on piece at a time while I think about what I want to do.

I am leaning to getting a simple digital heater control like this one
http://www.amazon...w+220v+scr and running both of the old elements off of it (10,000 watt max capacity so it should be fine). This will get the roaster up and running and I can always do more later once I get the feel for how it works.

turtle
It's down to the wood base and a pile of parts on the basement floor.

Not sure what to do about the burning on the veneer. It will be covered by the roaster so I may just clean and polish what is viable then start putting it back together.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/board-burned_zpsc8d4faa1.jpg

turtle
The more I look the deeper the rabbit hole gets

Drum chamber / furnace surround. Looks like it was burned then "fixed up" using muffler patch which did not hold up that well.

I am digging the welds on the fire/roasting chamber. NICE work!!!!

I'll check if they have replacement parts that might be made fit and see what it would cost to chop out the wall and replace it with a thicker piece of steel here locally. I hope I can find someone who can weld as good as the person that built this roaster.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/drum-fire_surround-1_zpsfecedaa7.jpg

Front drum bearing (not a big deal but <sigh>)

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/front_bearing-1_zps6747d12e.jpg

turtle
Anyone want to see if they can figure out the wiring. I've labeled what I can see but the relay is a bit of confusion.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/main_electric_zpsdec18d29.jpg

okmed
Looks like a double pole double throw relay base. Terminals 1 & 8 will be the coil, terminal 2 will be the common of one contact with 3 being normally open & 4 being normally closed. The other contact will be 7 com, 6 NO & 5 NC. There should be a corresponding schematic on the relay itself. If the relay has a clear plastic cover you should be able to follow the corresponding pins & wiring to verify that I am not mistaken.
I may have 1&8 and 2&7 switched, just trying to go by memory but you can quickly find out which is which with an ohm meter.
Edited by okmed on 12/20/2014 1:40 PM
RAF-1 Extreme (modified B-2K) Hottop with HTC+TC4C, HG-One grinder, Bezzera Strega.

turtle
Tried to find a good image of the relay online and this is the best I could find. The one on my relay is faded.

i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u414/turtle-web/food/coffee/San_Franciscan/restoration/relay_zps8edb0e9a.jpg
Edited by turtle on 12/20/2014 4:37 PM

okmed
That's it, shows 2&7 being the coil connections.
RAF-1 Extreme (modified B-2K) Hottop with HTC+TC4C, HG-One grinder, Bezzera Strega.

turtle
What is the purpose of this?

Looks to me like it just passes everything through from 1 and 8 (hot in) to 3 and 6 (hot out).

No switching from 3 and 6 to 4 and 5 as the 4 and 5 lugs are empty.

7 and 2 supply power to the drum and fan motors and it looks like #2 is grounded.

okmed
It's hard to tell from just the picture but if the 2 jumpered end terminals at the right are grounded then that would mean your drum motor and fan are 110 volt as well as the relay coil. Does your power cord have 4 wires, ( 2 hot, 1 neutral & 1 ground)? That grounded terminal should go to the neutral and not use the ground as it's current path.
There must be a switch some where that turns the drum motor and fan on and also energizing the relay at the same time which would then pass the 220 volts through the fuses and you would control the heaters with rheostat.

Jump to Forum: