renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Big hello from Washington State!
chipsnchunks
Hey there everyone. I am new to homeroasters.org, but have been home roasting for over 10 years. I stated roasting for my wife when she started a mobile expresso business. This was a big stainless Apollo Cart with a tweaked propane espresso machine that she towed to sporting events and craft fairs mostly. Lots of fun and lots of work for not much profit.

I started roasting on a 4 lb RK drum on a spare BBQ. After testing what seemed like endless combinations, we settled on a combination of 60% Sumatra Mandheling, 30% Costa Rica, and 10% Kenya. She has since sold the cart many years ago, but we have continued to buy and roast coffee for our use and for family using that same RK drum.

I started buying bags from Atlas Coffee Importers in Seattle and have pretty much continued every year expect sometimes buying from Costco when they were roasting.

I usually roast 12 lbs in 3 1/2 lbs batches at 475 degrees in my BBQ using a gear motor setup as the rotisserie. I cool them on a home made screen box sitting on a box fan.

It will be fun to read about other people's processes.
Home roaster using an RK drum. La Pavoni PDH Espresso, Technivorm Moccamaster

allenb
Big welcome chipsnchunks. Lots of folks here using the BBQ setup and getting nice results! Please post about your experience with the RK and what techniques have worked in achieving a great roast in it.

Post often!

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

chipsnchunks
Thanks Allen,

Where would be the best place to post regarding BBQ drums - the "drum roaster" forum?

dana
Home roaster using an RK drum. La Pavoni PDH Espresso, Technivorm Moccamaster

allenb
Building a Roaster-BBQ Grill Roaster

Allen
1/2 lb and 1 lb drum, Siemens Sirocco fluidbed, presspot, chemex, cajun biggin brewer from the backwoods of Louisiana

Jump to Forum: