Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

koriglman
10/13/2019 6:09 PM
Male Guide Reviews Some of the common supplements used to assist you lose weight are: Hoodia can be an herbal supplement that is very popular in programs designed to help you lose excess fat. It is em

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

allenb
10/08/2019 11:29 AM
Hi RAZ. Please post your 18-25kg build question in either the drum or fluidbed build forums and we'll all try to answer.

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:43 AM
Quien me pude ayudar por favor, con el diseƱo para construir un tostador que funcione ya sea con Gas, electricidad o flujo de aire caliente, de unos (18 o 25) Kg. estoy en Venezuela

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:41 AM
Saludos a todos

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,179
Newest Member: koriglman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Scary stuff in Scientific American
JETROASTER
[uhttp://www.scient...ee-crisis/[/u]
This is just a Scientific American article teaser, people will need to subscribe or grab a friends copy.
A bit ominous to be sure. As it turns out, our favorite (cultivated) cherry tree is descended from a pretty narrow gene-pool. This largely homogeneous genetic makeup is what makes coffee so susceptible to a widespread outbreak of disease (like leaf rust).
On a somewhat more cheery note, some notable coffee people and scientists are racing to address it. There are some devastating economic impacts to consider. As a result, the funding and resources are there to match the desperation.
800 species (from seed banks) are being sent to Ithaca NY for genetic sequencing. Additionally, teams are scouring Madagascar and Ethiopia to round up the remaining wild genes before they get bulldozed.
The hope is that science can help recreate the biodiversity that is currently lacking. I have no idea what that will taste like.
I never thought I'd say it: Is it possible that a GMO might save the day?
Cheers, -Scott

jkoll42
GMO hydroponic coffee in climate controlled grow-houses? roar
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

coffeeroastersclub
I understand that only 2 chromosomes separate us from the coffee tree.

pouring

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
threwitallaway
@jkoll42, Of course those Grow-houses will be in shade at 4000 to 7000 feet....

jkoll42
So if I understand correctly I only need 2 chromosomes and a high altitude grow house to never buy coffee again?
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

JETROASTER
A couple surprising little factoids in the article: Compared to other large-scale agri-products, incredibly little genetic research has been done on coffee. Oddly, this is attributed to coffee being a much more "democratically" grown product. For a long time, lots of small scale farmers took their coffee to a coop, then it got exported.
For years, the big food players were largely involved in the distribution....but not the farming.....and Mom and Pop farmers were not spending money on genetic research.
As big players are now jumping in with resources to save this commodity, it's unclear what role will remain for the small farmers. As disease continues to kill off the current rootstock, will these farmers be able to replant?
Will Monsanto be the new coffee giant?
Cheers, Scott

coffeeroastersclub
jkoll42 wrote:

So if I understand correctly I only need 2 chromosomes and a high altitude grow house to never buy coffee again?

I'm trying to graft a Kona seedling onto one of my pinky fingers right now. I figure its the least used out of all my fingers (my right middle finger gets the most use so that one was definitely out, and I wouldn't be able to pick up anything if it weren't for my opposing thumbs, so those were definitely out ...)

Roflmao

Len
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." ~Abraham Lincoln

http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com
Jump to Forum: