topbanner.gif
Login
Username

Password




Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
10/22/2019 5:31 AM
Thanks to you all....... I was not sleeping ... I stayed awake worried about it all. :)

Koffee Kosmo
10/21/2019 5:00 PM
While you were sleeping I have been active in booting out some spammers along with the posts they tried to sneak past me

NetriX
10/21/2019 2:41 PM
Apologies, fixed it asap! BBQ grill

snwcmpr
10/21/2019 12:35 PM
WOW!! A few minutes ago the site page said "Account Suspended". And would not open the site.

snwcmpr
10/18/2019 2:37 PM
Eth Nat Yirg Idido roasted yesterday. I dropped some off at a friends coffee shop. In a few days he will brew it and tell me what he thinks. We believe my roasts are better than what we buy.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,203
Newest Member: Dave Tee
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My new Kaldi (Korean Drum Roaster)
Erik
Just want to share - You may have seen this roaster on ebay but there isn't much info on it elsewhere. I took a chance on this and I think it is a super deal at $345 delievered (without hopper and trier).

The thermometer isn't great and is slow reacting to temp changes. Not sure if it can be fitted somehow with a better temperature reader, but would like suggestions.

The roaster itself is very high quality materials and fit/finish.

The motor seems well over spec'd for the roaster.

I did a 1/2lb roast for the first roast and it had no problems - I hit first crack before 9 minutes on my gas range. I think it could easily do 3/4 lb or more.

Super happy with this thing so far.
Erik attached the following images:
dsc07043-2.jpg dsc07040-2.jpg dsc07041-2.jpg dsc07043-2_1.jpg dsc07034-2.jpg dsc07039-2.jpg dsc07048-2.jpg dsc07037-2.jpg dsc07045-2.jpg

Edited by Erik on 11/21/2014 11:58 AM
 
Mad Mac
I really like your roaster. Can't stop looking at the thing on youtube.

I bought this cheap K-type thermocouple from ebay and it is very sensitive. It was so responsive that I built a cover for my turbulent bread maker to stabilize readings.

It comes with a fiberglass sheathed cable that you can wire tie on your stock thermometer or use another jig to keep it in place. You can also buy K-type rigid probe thermocouple which should work with this meter.

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/ginopunsalan/References/Thermocouple_zpsafde9d80.jpg
 
kahveuno
Your roaster looks great. I can see many inspirations for a home roaster builder.woohoo
Do not bother for the hopper. You can use a suitable "metal can" as a funnel. I use a 500ml beer can which can hold up to 250gr of green beans (see the picture attached). Building is simple. Take the can, first cut the top, and then cut a vertical line so that you can squeeze and have a narrow end like a funnel. You can fill it with green beans, slightly squeeze the open end and insert it inside the front opening of your roaster.
For bean temperature measurement, you can use a stiff K-type thermocouple stick (200mm length) as shown in the picture. However, you will need a holder for the thermocouple.
kahveuno attached the following images:
dsc_0432ss.jpg img_8116ss.jpg img_8122ss.jpg

https://twitter.com/#!/KahveUNO
 
Erik
Mad Mac wrote:

I really like your roaster. Can't stop looking at the thing on youtube.

I bought this cheap K-type thermocouple from ebay and it is very sensitive. It was so responsive that I built a cover for my turbulent bread maker to stabilize readings.

It comes with a fiberglass sheathed cable that you can wire tie on your stock thermometer or use another jig to keep it in place. You can also buy K-type rigid probe thermocouple which should work with this meter.

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/ginopunsalan/References/Thermocouple_zpsafde9d80.jpg


I would really like something that I can hook to artisan, but my have to go with something like yours.

It is a cute little roaster.
 
Erik
kahveuno wrote:

Your roaster looks great. I can see many inspirations for a home roaster builder.woohoo
Do not bother for the hopper. You can use a suitable "metal can" as a funnel. I use a 500ml beer can which can hold up to 250gr of green beans (see the picture attached). Building is simple. Take the can, first cut the top, and then cut a vertical line so that you can squeeze and have a narrow end like a funnel. You can fill it with green beans, slightly squeeze the open end and insert it inside the front opening of your roaster.
For bean temperature measurement, you can use a stiff K-type thermocouple stick (200mm length) as shown in the picture. However, you will need a holder for the thermocouple.


Thanks

Yes I decided the hopper was way too expensive in relation to the machine and did not buy it.

Regarding the temperature - yes I need some sort of mount like yours that will provide a consistent position. The current thermometer set up is flexible so it will be hard to put it in a consistent location. Thanks for the ideas!
 
Erik
Well I have found a way to get my thermometer in the beans for the most part. Right now I am just using a digital kitchen thermometer and it maxes out at 400F so not really that useful. I think it also reads high (like 20F higher than the beans) perhaps because it isn't really fully in the beans. It is in the cascade though.
 
Mad Mac
I've bean roasting in a covered bread maker and a heat gun. Yes chamber temp is higher than bean temp. My chamber temps have been reliable enough to base my roasts. It's quite proportional it seems to bean temp. I hit City roast at 229C for a 100g batch.
 
jkoll42
Mad Mac wrote:

I've bean roasting in a covered bread maker and a heat gun. Yes chamber temp is higher than bean temp. My chamber temps have been reliable enough to base my roasts. It's quite proportional it seems to bean temp. I hit City roast at 229C for a 100g batch.


Mac

Is it that hard to change to location of your temp probe to inside the bean mass? Beans absorb heat differently throughout the roast process so chamber temps are an unreliable source to base roast progress on.

When I was using a hg/bm I had a very similar probe and just had it below the bean mass.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3
 
Erik
Mad Mac wrote:

I really like your roaster. Can't stop looking at the thing on youtube.

I bought this cheap K-type thermocouple from ebay and it is very sensitive. It was so responsive that I built a cover for my turbulent bread maker to stabilize readings.

It comes with a fiberglass sheathed cable that you can wire tie on your stock thermometer or use another jig to keep it in place. You can also buy K-type rigid probe thermocouple which should work with this meter.

i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/ginopunsalan/References/Thermocouple_zpsafde9d80.jpg


I ordered one of these off ebay today and a k-type rigid probe.
 
snwcmpr
Erik,
Do you mean the 'gas range' as in your kitchen stove top burners?

That's a cool thought. I collect camp stoves, and I have a lot of them. The thought of a roaster as a 'supply your own heat' is a niche that seems unique to me, and a good thought by the manufacturer.

I can't seem to find the Korean manufacturer site. Only a roaster with the same name.

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
 
Erik
snwcmpr wrote:

Erik,
Do you mean the 'gas range' as in your kitchen stove top burners?

That's a cool thought. I collect camp stoves, and I have a lot of them. The thought of a roaster as a 'supply your own heat' is a niche that seems unique to me, and a good thought by the manufacturer.

I can't seem to find the Korean manufacturer site. Only a roaster with the same name.

Ken in NC


Actually, I roast in the garage on a camp stove "Camp Chef Pro 60" propane stove 60k btu/ 30k per burner. My wife uses it to cook all her Vietnamese food instead of in the kitchen.

http://www.amazon...hef+pro+60

Actually, the stove is too powerful because I have to turn the burner to the lowest possible setting, and still have to move the roaster half off the burner at times. I am thinking about using one of our one burner butane stoves to see if the temp is more controllable.

One of these: http://www.amazon...tane+stove
Edited by JackH on 11/23/2014 8:49 PM
 
Erik
Regarding the company - it seems to only be available on ebay in the US.

They also make a manual crank version, but I can't imagine that would be much fun, Although, I guess it would be possible to retrofit your own motor to one cheaper then buying the motorized version.
Edited by ginny on 03/12/2015 1:36 AM
 
snwcmpr
Seems like a problem with control of the flame rather than the fuel source. Some stoves have much better simmer capabilities and then more control.

I really like to percolate coffee on a Punker alcohol boat stove I have, because of the low simmer ability it has.

Ken in NC
snwcmpr attached the following image:
coffeeondeck_1.jpg

--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".
 
Erik
snwcmpr wrote:

Seems like a problem with control of the flame rather than the fuel source. Some stoves have much better simmer capabilities and then more control.

I really like to percolate coffee on a Punker alcohol boat stove I have, because of the low simmer ability it has.

Ken in NC


Yeah, it isn't the fuel that is a problem, just that the burners are too big - even a low flame is too hot.

Or perhaps if I remove the copper wrap from the drum it would not be to hot?
 
Mad Mac
You can look at using an electric stove or DIY heating elements. They are much more controllable.
 
Firochromis
Hi Erik, any update about this roaster? Have you add any TC for monitoring?
Be in peace,

Firat Cingi
 
www.firochromis.com
ginny
I believe Amazon also sells this roaster...


-g
 
hansfranz
Resurrecting an old thread, but I'm curious to see if the Kaldi roaster is still alive and working? Anybody else using one?
 
restewax
Hiya,

I have had one of these for about 6 roasts (6 weeks) so far. I like it heaps. Had hot air popper, swiss something or other, 4 fresh roasts, Genecafe, an iRoast 2 and a P.O.S. IMEX (used for 6 months and dead). The Kaldi is what I have been looking for at this point in my life. I am doing 300 gms. on the largest burner (LPG) on the lowest setting. I have seen the you tube videos showing the roasters over a butane single burner stove and decided against that as soon as I saw them dump out a load of charcoal. Even though I have an outdoor butane burner I decided to go the indoor route because

I have installed a very efficient/powerful exhaust hood.

Even though I live in New Zealand. . .I don't want to roast outside.

Nor do I want to run a power cord outdoors to the roaster.

I also do not have to concern myself with "ambient" temperature as I did with ALL Air Roasters.

I like the Kaldi for the fact that you have less opportunity to "Micromanage" your roast. I have 2 controls. . .heat on, low or high. . .for repeat-ability sake.

I use a flashlight and sound to check roast level. I don't even use the temp. probe provided. The only temp control I have is the burner adjustment. And I have not messed with it. .. .yetbeach

I am doing a 23 minute whoa to go roast right now into cold roaster, turn heat onto low(largest burner) JUST until I hear the very first pop of second crack. Then Beans get dumped immediately onto a very thick and cool heat sink. A Stainless Steel with copper sandwich layer Grilling pan 16" across. Any heavy clean pan would do nicely (cast iron). No oil on beans so, right where I want it.

The beans cool off in about a minute or so. And yes my heat sink gets quite warm considering it weighs 5 lbs, with only surface contact.

I have seen the boys on you tube "dowsing" the beans with water. . . . ummmmm not so good. If you have roasted your beans to the point where you need water to stop the roasting process. . . . they have probably roasted to far anyway. No amount of "flash" drowning is going to reverse what a screaming hot roaster has done to your coffee.

The Kaldi makes a lovely Full city. . . very even as you would expect going low and slow temp wise. And Roasting stops within a minute which is as good as any Air Roaster.

If you want a roaster that is very consistent, little intervention involved, then a Kaldi may be for you.

pics on request
 
HoldTheOnions
Hi, anyone know would 1100 watt burner be ok for this size or two 750s be better? I believe it was Allen who posted doc on power requirements, but can't find it now to save my life. Thanks for any feedback.
 
Jump to Forum:

Similar Threads

Thread Forum Replies Last Post
Propane Flow meter for fluidbed roaster Building a Coffee Roaster 17 10/21/2019 3:39 PM
Drum Roaster Advice and Discussion Drum Roasters 8 10/14/2019 10:52 AM
My drum/bbq roaster Drum Roasters 5 10/14/2019 6:13 AM
The well tempered roaster Roasting Coffee 10 10/13/2019 8:19 AM
New 1kg drum roaster build Drum Roasters 8 10/10/2019 9:53 AM
Homeroasters Association Logo, and all Content, Images, and Icons © 2005-2016 Homeroasters Association - Logos are the property of their respective owners.
Powered by PHP-Fusion Copyright © 2019 PHP-Fusion Inc
Released as free software without warranties under GNU Affero GPL v3
Designed with by NetriX