Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 05/27/2020 3:01 PM
Does it happen with all threads or certain one?

pisanoal
· 05/27/2020 10:14 AM
Anyone else have issues seeing the whole window of a thread when accessing from a mobile phone? Any fixes?

allenb
OnlineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 6

Members Online: 1
tofublock

Total Members: 6,584
Newest Member: beanie_weenie
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Any tips on fabricating a trier?
Erik
I ordered a Kaldi roaster the other day. The one I bought doesn't inlcude a trier. I have been wondering about a cheap/easy way to make one.

Looks like some sort of tube with 1/2 sliced off stuck on a wooden handle. Just not sure as to what material I should use and how to go about slicing.

What experience have any of you had in fabricating one?

Thanks

Mad Mac
Did you get the hand crank model? The motorized version comes standard with the trier. I like the charm of the hand crank model.

You may get away with slicing any metal tube to length with an angle grinder. Cut sharp prongs on one end. Hammer into a wood block you can shaper later on. Shape the trier end. Shape the wooden handle.

kahveuno
Why not use a metal spoon with a long handle? I have no trouble in using a spoon with my roaster.
Ünsal
https://twitter.com/#!/KahveUNO

Ringo
I built my trier with a stainless core used to make french horns in a baker. It fit perfect inside a piece of 3/4 inch water pipe. The wooden part I cut off a piece of spendle for hand rail. It can be any steel but mine was stainless. Just go to the home center and find a pipe that will fit in another. You have to make sure there is room inside the drum where it will not hit any turning parts.
All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure. Mark Twain

Erik

Mad Mac wrote:

Did you get the hand crank model? The motorized version comes standard with the trier. I like the charm of the hand crank model.

You may get away with slicing any metal tube to length with an angle grinder. Cut sharp prongs on one end. Hammer into a wood block you can shaper later on. Shape the trier end. Shape the wooden handle.

Yeah, I got the motorized version, but it said trier and hopper were extra, from what I could tell. The listing was pretty difficult to decipher.

I paid $343 delivered price and as I understand the hopper was $50 and the trier $15. both seemed a bit high given the total cost and I figured I could make a trier or use a spoon pretty easily. Loading 1/2 lb of beans seems like a pretty easy task as well.

Erik

Ringo wrote:

I built my trier with a stainless core used to make french horns in a baker. It fit perfect inside a piece of 3/4 inch water pipe. The wooden part I cut off a piece of spendle for hand rail. It can be any steel but mine was stainless. Just go to the home center and find a pipe that will fit in another. You have to make sure there is room inside the drum where it will not hit any turning parts.

I can't picture what you did. I have no idea what the french horns thing is. I was thinking a water pipe/copper. I would just use a piece of oak probably and whittle it to a handle, with a reduced area for the pipe to slip over and be secured by a screw to the handle.

Erik

kahveuno wrote:

Why not use a metal spoon with a long handle? I have no trouble in using a spoon with my roaster.
Ünsal

Will likely do this, initially at least. Wondering if you can get a big enough sample of the beans like this?

kahveuno

Erik wrote:

kahveuno wrote:

Ünsal

Will likely do this, initially at least. Wondering if you can get a big enough sample of the beans like this?

I temporarily insert a teaspoon through the front opening towards the falling beans. The spoon easily catches 8-12 beans which is enough for me to track the smell and color change. There is no chance for my roaster to keep a trier in place during the roast since there is only a 65mm diameter access hole into the drum. I think this is also similar for Kaldi.
Ünsal
https://twitter.com/#!/KahveUNO

Jump to Forum: