Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

koriglman
10/13/2019 6:09 PM
Male Guide Reviews Some of the common supplements used to assist you lose weight are: Hoodia can be an herbal supplement that is very popular in programs designed to help you lose excess fat. It is em

snwcmpr
10/10/2019 4:49 AM
Honduras Royal Reserve today.

allenb
10/08/2019 11:29 AM
Hi RAZ. Please post your 18-25kg build question in either the drum or fluidbed build forums and we'll all try to answer.

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:43 AM
Quien me pude ayudar por favor, con el diseƱo para construir un tostador que funcione ya sea con Gas, electricidad o flujo de aire caliente, de unos (18 o 25) Kg. estoy en Venezuela

RAZGG2019
10/08/2019 10:41 AM
Saludos a todos

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,179
Newest Member: koriglman
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
renatoa - 2.00
allenb - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Groveland Hill Roas... - 25.00
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Yet another SC/TO build...but with Arduino/TC4!
robschwieb
Hello again everyone!

Some of you might remember me from the fluidbed forum and my senior project in college. Well, it was a great roaster but too big, bulky, and power hungry for my current living arrangements (an apartment).

Since then I've toyed around with a Poppery II but hate the lack of control and data so I decided to go down the SC/TO road.

So far I've only roasted 1/2lb in it but I'm really impressed by the control I have available. It reacts to adjustments so quickly and I'm not used to that. Previously, I had a large thermal mass but that isn't the case with this setup.

For software I'm using Roastlogger and taking advantage of it's PID fuction. I find it much better developed and responsive compared to the new Artisan PID feature.

Can't wait till I get my profile dialed in after several roasts.

Here is the link to the album with all the pictures and the descriptions that go along with them!

http://imgur.com/...

Hope you enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!

robschwieb
Forgot to add roast result pictures!

I started out with only 1/2 pound of Sweet Maria's Ethiopiques Espresso Blend. I didn't want to do a full pound in case something went terribly wrong the first time.

i.imgur.com/Iid2V9r.jpg

i.imgur.com/a3MMN48.jpg
Mmmm Americano!

Koffee Kosmo
Love the control box - a treasure chest
See link - http://m.imgur.co...

In any case it's great work
KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
Mad Mac
Fantastic setup. I like the outboard controller box. I am green with envy for you guys who know how to build the Arduino system. At the moment that is beyond me.

GreenBean
Very impressive work. After you have some more roasts under your belt, I would be interested to hear your views on the results in the cup compared to your equally impressive fluid bed roaster.

Tom
homepage.ntlworld.com/green_bean/coffee/smilestore/8.gif
Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Aeropress (collecting dust) | Kettle modded (added digital thermometer)

Mad Mac
You guys are fortunate to be able to describe taste. I go over descriptions like those from sweetmarias and truth is, I don't know which description goes with what taste ha ha. The opposite is true. I cannot describe what I am drinking in the same manner.

jkoll42
Absolutely love that controller box - part steampunk part modern! Very awesome.

Beans look nice and uniform. Great build!

@madmac I can't describe what I am tasting in detail either. Same with wine and scotch. I guess my palate tastes with a broader brush.
-Jon
Honey badger 1k, Bunn LPG-2E, Technivorm, Cimbali Max Hybrid, Vibiemme Double Domo V3

Koffee Kosmo
Mad Mac wrote:

You guys are fortunate to be able to describe taste. I go over descriptions like those from sweetmarias and truth is, I don't know which description goes with what taste ha ha. The opposite is true. I cannot describe what I am drinking in the same manner.

That's where cupping can help with taste recognition
If possible to do a coffee cupping course in your area

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
robschwieb
Thanks for all of the positive feedback!

Just like most of you, the control box is my favorite aspect as well. I wanted to build something that was modular and not specifically attached to the SC/TO. That way when another project comes up, I have a box with PWM heater control and two TC channels ready to go.

GreenBean, I roasted a pound in it two days ago and had the pleasure of sampling it today. I'm very impressed. It's so easy to hit the different stages at the correct times with this setup. The roast tasted excellent. I stick to Americanos for initial cuppings. I seem to get a more balanced cup as opposed to the fluidbed. And without much effort too. I think this is largely because of the PID function and use. While the fluidbed had the PID option, there was never enough heating power for it to utilize it and it ran at 100% all the time. I just controlled the roast with fan output and that is rather difficult since the balance between agitation, temp, and torque ripples at low RPMs is a very fine line. I'd often end up with a bready and baked taste. I never really took full potential of this roaster since I never had access to 240V. I simply needs another heating element. So, at this moment I can't really answer your question. Someday when I have 240V available to me I'll throw another element in there and get back with you!

With the SC/TO there is plenty of heating power and no blower factor to worry about. Just set your ET temp profile and the tuned PID does a great job at closely following it.

robschwieb
Here is a little video of it in action.

[video]youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7szK9Qiupk[/video]
Edited by JackH on 11/11/2014 8:02 AM

GreenBean
robschwieb wrote:

...For software I'm using Roastlogger and taking advantage of it's PID fuction. I find it much better developed and responsive compared to the new Artisan PID feature.

Can't wait till I get my profile dialed in after several roasts.

robschwieb wrote:

...With the SC/TO there is plenty of heating power and no blower factor to worry about. Just set your ET temp profile and the tuned PID does a great job at closely following it.

Thank you for the feedback and for your kind words regarding the RoastLogger PID. Once you are happy with your results would you be willing to share the PID settings you are using and the resulting profiles? I think other SC/TO users may be interested in trying this.

Tom
Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Aeropress (collecting dust) | Kettle modded (added digital thermometer)

robschwieb

Thank you for the feedback and for your kind words regarding the RoastLogger PID. Once you are happy with your results would you be willing to share the PID settings you are using and the resulting profiles? I think other SC/TO users may be interested in trying this.

Tom

Once I'm close to perfectly happy with the results I'll be sure to post some data.

I have a few questions for you Tom!

1. Is there anyway to enable the PID function without charging the beans? I ask because right now I'm just using the heat % slider to pre-heat my roaster to the desired temp. It would be nice if I could set it to 400 for example and the PID function would take care of it without having to trigger the charge event.

2. Is there anyway to plot additional data on the graph such as power % and setpoint?

Thanks for any help!

GreenBean
robschwieb wrote:

1. Is there anyway to enable the PID function without charging the beans? I ask because right now I'm just using the heat % slider to pre-heat my roaster to the desired temp. It would be nice if I could set it to 400 for example and the PID function would take care of it without having to trigger the charge event.

Currently the action tables are in charge of both the heater and fan before loading the beans. If the PID is on then it takes over control of the heater after loading the beans. This allows users to set an initial heater and fan setting, in the action tables that, will be applied on each start or reset of the Controller and to set a load beans temperature. Once the load beans temperature is reached the Controller sets an alarm to advise you to load the beans. I believe this is exactly what most users would expect and want the behaviour to be. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.

robschwieb wrote:

2. Is there anyway to plot additional data on the graph such as power % and setpoint?

I want RoastLogger to remain simple to setup and use with the minimum of configuration required by users. I also want the chart to present the key information as simply and clearly as possible without being cluttered with too much incidental information. For these reasons I have resisted attempts to add this information to the chart. For a fuller explanation of my thinking on this see my post #19 dated 10/14/2014 in this thread.

robschwieb
Currently the action tables are in charge of both the heater and fan before loading the beans. If the PID is on then it takes over control of the heater after loading the beans. This allows users to set an initial heater and fan setting, in the action tables that, will be applied on each start or reset of the Controller and to set a load beans temperature. Once the load beans temperature is reached the Controller sets an alarm to advise you to load the beans. I believe this is exactly what most users would expect and want the behaviour to be. Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve.

Sorry, I don't think I made my intentions clear. Let me try and better explain it. Say I want to pre-heat my roaster with the current configuration. I'd set a heater % and for a certain amount of time. Once XXX degrees are achieved, the charge alarm goes off. Here is where my problem arises. Most roasters need to be pre-heated. Just because the ET hits the desired temp doesn't necessarily mean the thermal mass of the roaster has reached equilibrium yet. If I charge the beans when the alarm goes off, my temp drops too low especially with this coming weather and being in a garage. If I ignore the charge alarm and keep waiting, my ET will keep rising unless I manually fiddle around with heater %. That's why I thought the PID function would be nice for pre-heating the roaster, like a "soak" feature. Just set it at a temp and it will hold it there for a desired amount of time. Here is how I'd use it: Ramp to 400F and hold for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes is up, sound charge alarm and proceed to charge beans.

I want RoastLogger to remain simple to setup and use with the minimum of configuration required by users. I also want the chart to present the key information as simply and clearly as possible without being cluttered with too much incidental information. For these reasons I have resisted attempts to add this information to the chart. For a fuller explanation of my thinking on this see my post #19 dated 10/14/2014 in this thread.

I read post #19. I could see your argument if someone using the standard action tables. However, I don't think it really applies when the PID function is implemented. When something else other than yourself has control, it's nice to know what it's doing. Yes, I could log all of the heater percentages manually but to me that defeats the purpose of this software. People like myself chose to go this route because they are on the quest for more data pertaining to their roasts. While I agree that keeping this simple is important for most, I don't see any harm in adding an "Advanced Settings" menu for items of this nature. To back my argument, you added a PID function and the option for users to tune it's variables. I'll admit that isn't too hard to figure out with some reading and studying but I wouldn't say it's exactly an easy or user friendly feature for those not familiar.

Just my thoughts on the matters. Hopefully I didn't come off as offensive!

jkruer01
I know this is an old post but is there detailed instructions on how to create this?

Thanks!

Jump to Forum: