JackH
01/04/2019 10:55 AM
2 years today...Miss you Ginny!

JETROASTER
01/04/2019 4:24 AM
A little shout for the G'ster. 2 yrs. roar

allenb
12/27/2018 5:14 AM
Hi Brandon, please disregard the "please update". I think we're all up to speed now. The need for cache clearing get's me every time! limb

NetriX
12/26/2018 11:36 AM
Update? pouring Merry Christmas back atcha

allenb
12/26/2018 3:07 AM
Merry Christmas Brandon. Please update soon! christmas tree

Users Online
Guests Online: 5

Members Online: 1
Ftrevisa

Total Members: 5,768
Newest Member: sirk
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Thanks Brad, Jim, and Artisan Team
keving
Now have a dozen roasts with the TC4C and the Q_PID on Artisan in place. The first 4 roasts were to get familiar with the software and start looking at things like ROR and segment times. Also had to sacrifice 1 roast to insure calibration and compare heat gun readings of beans to new repositioned bean TC. Needless to say it is off about 50 degrees linear until after 1st crack. Much better than the 100 degree's it was before and more linear which allowed for easy adjustment with a temp shift in Artisan.

Guy's the difference this software and hardware makes is nothing short of amazing! Coffees that were mediocre before are now stellar. So far I am working to keep the segment after 1st C to finish in the 25 - 30 percent range based on total roast. Also running time from Start to Dry End to about 4 minute then another 3 minutes to 1st C and another 2 to 3 minutes to Drop.

Things this software does is allow me to keep a close eye on insuring no stalling - which happened without my knowledge in the past, record every aspect of the roast to review and compare, and duplicate and fine tune a roast that I consider good.

Before I had this control I was getting worried that fluid bed roasting was maybe not as good as drum roasting for my tastes. However, that is not the case.

I have attached a plot (please do not pay attention to the ET line - I currently have an issue with the placement of this probe) to show what is currently becoming a very good profile across several beans. Feel free to critique.

The biggest change in my roasting is the target of about a 10 minute roast. Don't know why, but seems to be a more complex, flavorful, and layered taste than the 12 to 14 minute roasts I was doing before.

Thanks again guys. Job well done!!!
keving attached the following image:
plot.png

greencardigan
Good job! Glad you have it sorted and are getting good results!

greenman

Sinobi
keving wrote:
...insure calibration and compare heat gun readings of beans to new repositioned bean TC. Needless to say it is off about 50 degrees linear until after 1st crack. Much better than the 100 degree's it was before and more linear which allowed for easy adjustment with a temp shift in Artisan.

I know this is an old thread, but
what did you end up with as being the optimum place to put the BT TC?
And what TC did you use?

Calibration; Do you do that in the Symb BT formula field, or in another way?

Heat Gun readings; I assume you are talking about an IR temperatur reader gun?

So many questions, sorry.
I just finished building my own fluid bed and this is the only thing I am missing to get right,
and I just can't find enough information on the net to solve it, but have a feeling that answers to the above questions will help me a lot.

/Henrik

renatoa
Optimum probe placement in a BC is where you have the most bean contact and least airflow.

What TC... look those having the sheath designed for air temperature measurements

Avoid IR for this type of application, the actual temperature vary too much with bean color.

Good go - so from this sentence:
So far I am working to keep the segment after 1st C to finish in the 25 - 30 percent range based on total roast.

For example...
Given a 10 minute total roast time
Then 1C to 2C should stretch to 2.5-3.0 minutes?

Is this correct?

Sinobi
renatoa wrote:
Optimum probe placement in a BC is where you have the most bean contact and least airflow.

What TC... look those having the sheath designed for air temperature measurements

Avoid IR for this type of application, the actual temperature vary too much with bean color.

Thanks.
My roasting chamber is a 600ml frensh press on top of the top of a cocktail shaker like keving have/had and with a TC placement in the side of the shaker, like he started out with.
My TC probe is this one: https://www.aliex...4c4dWnLGLa
I have now removed half the threaded part of the fastening/surrounding tube with a dremel, partly so I can get the probe part further into the roasting chamber and still not in the direct hotair stream, and partly to let more of the probe itself be exposed to the beans. I also gave the backend probe part a few windings of teflon tape before pushing it forward into the threaded part to insulate it from the cocktail shaker heat emission.
That all seems to have done the trick.
I now have yellowing around 163 C.
1C starts around 205 C
Not too far off I think.

Thanks for the input!

/Henrik
www.sinobi.dk/henrik/diverse/img_4847.jpg
Sinobi attached the following image:
img_4848.jpg

Edited by Sinobi on 10/24/2018 10:44 PM

renatoa
I would try to mount the probe with "nose" up, by tin bending or other method...
As is now, it's too close to the central hot air column, as a result the values you posted above.

As a reference people use 150C for dry end and 200C for FC, values specific to setups with a balanced ratio between hot air influence and real BT.
But for a machine where hot air flow was reduced to a reasonable minimum, so you can be sure about majoritary BT measurement, the real dry end occurs in the 140C ballpark and FC in the 185-190C range.

Jump to Forum: