bullet2.gif Slap count: 0
bullet2.gif Last checked ID: 6194
View Thread
Homeroasters.org » ALL ABOUT ROASTERS » Other Roasters
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Kaldi Home Roaster
ciel-007
Here's yet another entry level unit for possible consideration by a would be home roaster. It's called the Kaldi, it's found on eBay and Amazon, and it's from Korea.

Ciel
ciel-007 attached the following images:
1_kaldi_home_roaster.jpg 2_kaldi_home_roaster.jpg

Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................... EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLKÖNIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Barrie
The price is right but what about the specs?
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

clswiftman
Looks great.
Anyone own one?

jawjatek
I just got the Kaldi "Wide" (V2?) model. I purchased it from the Korean Gmarket website (no affiliation); it is much cheaper than Amazon, and got here very quickly. It has a 12VDC electric motor and does come with a power supply, but I had to find a cord for it (its a common 2-conductor USA cord), I am using a small butane stove as the heat source. I have only done one roast with it, so any report would be very premature.

It has a 6" long dial thermometer (in Celsius) that extends into the drum (it is slightly bent to clear the bean chute), but I have already ordered a K-type thermocouple probe to replace that with, so I can monitor temps accurately using my Fluke meter with TC adapter. I ordered a 150mm x 6mm threaded K probe from Ebay.

It does not have a fan, and very little chaff came out of the drum into the rudimentary "collector" tray; when I dumped the beans (by tipping the whole roaster and pouring it out of the drum), most of the chaff was still mixed in and had to be blown out using my cooling fan (which makes a mess, so I will be doing this step outside). On the plus side, you have total control over the heat via the gas stove, so I am thinking for my purposes and quantities this will be a good roaster. I am the only coffee drinker in the house and exclusively use an espresso machine (unless I am camping, then I use a press or Aeropress).

My first roast went a little too hot (directions are in Korean but there are a couple youtubes you can watch) but tastes pretty fine.

I must say I started roasting with a popper years ago. I burned out the popper and got one of the original Freshroast. Later, I replaced that with an I-Roast 2, but that finally quit heating up last year, so I was looking for something new. I decided to give this one a try. More later after I fool with it some, after I get the TC installed and get the hang of the roaster.
Fired up on it, all fired up on it...

JackH
Thanks for the review!

From what I have read, it has a 1/2 pound capacity?

You could build a cooling tray with a fan. If you use a perforated tray, (I used a mixing bowl with holes drilled into it) some of the chaff will get pulled down.

https://forum.hom...ad_id=1183
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

jawjatek
Yes, I think it can do up to 300 g, but I just charge it with 8 oz (226 g). I have a bean cooler made with a stainless colander and a small fan. I only need to roast one batch a week for my use, but I sometimes do multiple batches for friends and gifts.

jawjatek
Today I roasted 2 batches in the Kaldi "Wide"; so far I've only roasted 5 batches of 8 oz. beans each. I'm getting used to observing and (manually) regulating the temps during a roast.

I have removed the cheapo inaccurate Celsius-only dial thermometer that comes with the unit, and replaced it with a Omega M12 K-thermocouple. This probe is the same length (6") but a thinner 1/8" and screws right in the coupling (1/4" NPT) where the dial thermo was. I really like this probe because it screws right in, and has a removable cable. Also it is thinner, so no need to bend it to get in in the bean stream, and beans pour into the roaster easier. With this probe you have to buy a cable separately, as well as a connector for your meter. There are cheaper ways to go ( I initially used a cheap one from ebay), but I like this setup best.

I plug the probe cable right into my Fluke DMM via a thermocouple adapter which reads temp very accurately, and later I'll wire it into a more sophisticated (and simpler) metering to include ROR.
Probe part number is M12KIN-1/8-U-6-D, cable p/n is M12C-SIL-K-S-F-1.5.

Heat source is a simple butane stove you can find online for around $40.

Anyway, here are some pics. Today I roasted a batch each of Brazil and some Ethiopian Idido Yirg. By fiddling with the flame setting I was able to control ROR pretty well, but I prob need more heat in the drying phase because the roast took around 15 min. Last time was some Zimbabwe and some Mex Turquesa - it was very good, but seemed a tad muted. The first batch I did was some Costa Rican Red Honey, and that I got lucky on, it was very tasty SO ( I mostly make espresso BTW). I use a fan to blow off the chaff after I dump beans. I roast outside on my tailgate for now.

So far, so good. BBQ grill
jawjatek attached the following images:
kr5.jpg kr4.jpg kr3.jpg kr2.jpg kr1.jpg

Jump to Forum: