Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

Users Online
Guests Online: 3

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,473
Newest Member: benhome
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Hello from Brazil
calneto
Hi, I should have done this sooner, but better late than never.
I could not find anyone from Brazil in the google map someone created, so now there is at least one member.

My name is José (unlike in Spanish, the 'j' is pronounced as the 's' in meaSure) and I am a math professor in a federal university in Rio that is next to the Sugar Loaf (not kidding, it really is).

At some point a friend gave me a simple espresso machine and when that broke down I bought a Gaggia Classic. One thing lead to another: popcorn popper and now an adapted air frier that doubles as a drum roaster.

I am still struggling with the switch, but have faith that my last roast will be drinkable.

The coffee on the streets here is (very) bad, but one can find very good green coffee from online vendors and that has suited me fine.

In Brazil it is virtually forbidden to import green coffee, so when I do buy imported beans, I do so in small quantities from England (hasbean). I have done it twice and was lucky enough not to be taxed (60% also on the shipping) or have the goods confiscated.

So, as you see, it is not easy being a coffee lover in the world's largest coffee producer. All machines cost basically double or three times what they do in the US due to the high taxes and we are only left with our own beans.

But enough complaining. At least I have enough gear to roast, brew and drink good coffe and that is all that should matter (at least in this forum).
José @ Rio, Brazil
Air Popper (with dimmer) and Drum Roaster (1150 W adapted Air Fry)

ginny
Jos:

hello and thanks for saying hi in this thread; we like to know a bit about our member.

I am going to look around to see if I can get hold of a Quest for you.

ginny

roar

JackH
Hi Jose,

Nice to hear from you and welcome.
Brazilian coffee is one of my favorites.

I would love to see a photo the drum roaster you are using sometime.

--Jack
---Jack

KKTO Roaster.

calneto
It looks pretty much like the one below:

img.bomnegocio.com/images/62/6229326232.jpg

The differences are a black box with some electronic components, a new engine to rotate the drum faster and a finer mesh around the drum to prevent beans from falling out. It is also Kitchen Art, not Philco.
José @ Rio, Brazil

calneto
what I like about it is that once the roast is done you can remove the drum immediately, simply by pulling the handle, as the photo shows. That means I don't even need oven gloves to do it.
José @ Rio, Brazil

Jump to Forum: