You must login to post a message.

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 07/04/2020 10:27 AM
Happy 4th of July! jazzyhands

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/24/2020 7:58 AM
@Mark McCornack, Please post your question in the forum.

Mark McCornack
· 06/15/2020 9:28 PM
Hi! Looking for a legacy inlet temp sensor on 13 yr old Gene Cafe. It seems they've changed it and now you need new mother board and new sensor. Any ideas where I can find compatibile old one? Mark

Samaniego
· 06/09/2020 6:39 PM
Wich thermometers Can i buy for my roasting machine compatible with usb or macbook?

JackH
OfflineAdmin
· 06/05/2020 5:38 PM
peveleth, It is better if you start a post in the forum with your question. These shouts go away in time.

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,635
Newest Member: RLBrooks
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gene Cafe is DEAD!
Army Coffee
After 3-years, my Gene Café decided it was done. I went to start my roast yesterday and while everything turned on, the Drum did not rotate! Hot air was blowing through the Chamber, but no sound of the motor even trying to rotate the drum.

Should I assume it is the motor that needs to be replaced?

What other possibilities are there?

Gene Café Support is non-existent in my eyes. Does anyone have a phone number where I can talk to someone and order parts?

The Silver Lining in all of this was the fact that I found a guy who has a Hottop 28B that he is not using and last night he took my offer to buy it. One thing for certain is the fact that Hottop has great customer support.

I want to repair my Gene Café and any and all your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

John Despres
Hi, Drew.

If I remember correctly, everything in the GC seems to have been commercially available. Open your up and get the number from the motor and see what you can find.

I'm afraid we're on our own out here for now until someone decides to get into the GC repair business.

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
ciel-007

Army Coffee wrote:

Should I assume it is the motor that needs to be replaced?

Drew, perhaps it's a bit early to jump to conclusions just yet... unless you found/heard signs of wear and tear on the drum assembly and motor earlier. Is there any evidence that the plastic gears might be failing because of their exposure to heat? Perhaps, it might be something relatively simple like a bad connection, a faulty switch, a failing wire, etc... A volt-ohm meter, would be helpful here.

On the other hand, after all those years of experience on the GC, I'm sure that you would very much enjoy discovering the new challenges of roasting of a Hottop.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

Randy G
The Genecafe is being supported now and parts are available:
contact http://www.batchcoffee.com/
I believe it likely is worth fixing if for no other reason than to pass the good deal along to get someone else started in home roasting. Pay it Forward!

And I agree that Hottop has great customer service. Grin
I (literally) am the Hottop Customer Service person.

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Army Coffee

Drew, perhaps it's a bit early to jump to conclusions just yet... unless you found/heard signs of wear and tear on the drum assembly and motor earlier. Is there any evidence that the plastic gears might be failing because of their exposure to heat? Perhaps, it might be something relatively simple like a bad connection, a faulty switch, a failing wire, etc... A volt-ohm meter, would be helpful here.

Ciel[/quote]

Ciel;
I took it apart last night and all waires appeared to be connected and nothing on the motor is indicating power. Will explore more today and I do want to fix it because it is nice to have one in "Stand By" mode
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

North TJ-072 2kg Roaster, Hottop 8828B, Gene Cafe Roaster, Baratza Vario Grinder, Breville SmartGrinder, Behmor Brazen, Cona "D", Bialetti Moka Express, Aero-Press, Quick Mill QM67

Army Coffee

Randy G wrote:

The Genecafe is being supported now and parts are available:
contact http://www.batchcoffee.com/
I believe it likely is worth fixing if for no other reason than to pass the good deal along to get someone else started in home roasting. Pay it Forward!

And I agree that Hottop has great customer service. Grin
I (literally) am the Hottop Customer Service person.

Randy;

Thanks! I was tracking that and now just need to ensure I get the right parts. That said, I have the Hottop ready to go for my first roast TONIGHT!

Have we talked on the phone before about converting a 8828b into a 28b-K or 28b-2K???

Hottop Team was super friendly and very responsive! Still don't know if I will convert it to a 2K or just a K...thoughts?

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

ciel-007

Army Coffee wrote:

... Still don't know if I will convert it to a 2K or just a K...thoughts?

Drew, in my experience, the single most important first mod to consider would be a permanent BMT probe.
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ciel-007

Randy G wrote:

... I agree that Hottop has great customer service. Grin
I (literally) am the Hottop Customer Service person....

Randy, I'm glad to see you're back.

Ciel

take the comments to randy directly please...
Edited by ginny on 06/09/2014 2:07 PM

Army Coffee

ciel-007 wrote:

Army Coffee wrote:

... Still don't know if I will convert it to a 2K or just a K...thoughts?

Drew, in my experience, the single most important first mod to consider would be a permanent BMT probe.

Ciel...Great, you just added to the "Good Idea List". Help me out? Link?

Based on your comment, I am assuming you are making the statement that replacing the button with the thermocouple in not important compared to a BMT Probe?

Drew
NEC ASPERA TERRENT

Randy G
Drew,
We (I) have completely updated the upgrade page on the Hottop website. It is now far more detailed than it was before. The "-2" conversion is nice, and the "K" conversion is OK but if the straight "B" is working well it probably is not worth it. The reason is that while the "K" responds a bit faster, the "old style" system is consistent from roast to roast. If you have a control panel fail then the "K" upgrade makes sense and then you can do the "-2" at the same time since you will have the machine most all the way apart anyway.

removed personal item...
Edited by ginny on 06/09/2014 2:08 PM

turtle

Randy G wrote:

Drew,
We (I) have completely updated the upgrade page on the Hottop website. It is now far more detailed than it was before. The "-2" conversion is nice, and the "K" conversion is OK but if the straight "B" is working well it probably is not worth it. The reason is that while the "K" responds a bit faster, the "old style" system is consistent from roast to roast. If you have a control panel fail then the "K" upgrade makes sense and then you can do the "-2" at the same time since you will have the machine most all the way apart anyway.

Glad to see these full upgrade kits listed now!!!!

I just finished a -2 (manual bean dump) upgrade of my standard 8828-B with the button style roasting chamber probe.

I can say that the switch over to the manual bean dump parts was not difficult but it did take a little time as everything down to and inducing the main machine chassis needed to be revolved and replaced.

Well worth the time and effort to get the rear lever that opens the bean dump door. It has been installed for the past 4 roasts and for 2 of them I needed to use the manual bean dump as the other mods I made froze the machine and I needed to power off then power on (pull and reinsert the AC plug) to get it started again then I just pulled the manual eject to remove the beans while the machine ran the cool down cycle.

I decided to not update to the K type machine thermocouple as I was getting good results with the older type probe but it is up to the individual whether they go with a more accurate type of probe or stick with the older type.

Somewhere I read that there was an updated CPU/PROM for the main board (or the control panel board) should I contact you directly about this or can you provide the info about it in here?

In another thread (http://forum.homeroasters.org/forum/v...post_51146) there was talk that the B and K2 models had different max temp (safety dump temp) settings (428º & 435º). Is this correct? Would an updated chip move an older style roaster to the higher safety temp setting?

Not planing on doing a charcoal roast but a few degrees headroom can't hurt
Edited by ginny on 06/09/2014 2:09 PM
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ciel-007

Army Coffee wrote:

Ciel...Great, you just added to the "Good Idea List". Help me out? Link?

Drew, you might first like to take a quick look at a 5 Part Series entitled "Enhancing My Hottop". Once you have done that, perhaps you might post specific questions in the relevant threads.

Ciel

Randy G
In regards to the eject max temp, it is now 435. It use to be 428. Whatever programming has changed, replacement chips are not available at least as far as I have heard.

turtle

Randy G wrote:

In regards to the eject max temp, it is now 435. It use to be 428. Whatever programming has changed, replacement chips are not available at least as far as I have heard.

I found the page on the Hotpot site that is the procedure to replace the chip

http://www.hottopusa.com/chip.html

could you find out if this would change the dump temp setting and what else might be different (if anything) between a replacement and the existing one on the older B models?
Mick - "Drinking in life one cup at a time"
"I'd rather be roasting coffee"

Roaster 1: San Franciscan SF-1
Roaster 2: Hottop B-2K+
Roaster 3: Behmor 1600 +
Grinders: Modified Super Jolly - Forte BG (x3)
Pour over: Hario - Bee House - Chemex - Kalita - Bodum
Drip: Bunn CWTF15-1 & CW15-TC (commercials)
Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Vacuum: Cona - Bodum
Press: Frieling - Bodum Colombia

ciel-007

Randy G wrote:

... In regards to the eject max temp, it is now 435. It use to be 428...

Thanks Randy.
That's a good example of an important yet inconspicuous change in Hottop roasters over time. Do you think that it might be possible for the website to consider providing a table summarizing these inconspicuous changes by model year?
Ciel

Jump to Forum: