Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

snwcmpr
· 03/25/2020 11:49 AM
New Rochelle in the news. I think of you every time I hear it. ... Please stay safe.

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 03/21/2020 7:36 AM
Good morning homeroasters morning Everyone is hopefully staying healthy through this. Hang in there and stay safe!

Users Online
Guests Online: 1

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,467
Newest Member: hehevt
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
My wife statement: Your roasted coffee tastes like burn wood.
whattodo
I roasted Ethopian Sidamo Dry Processed both decaff and regular (They were from Coffeeproject). Lately El Salvador Decaff (from SweetMaria's) as well. For Sidamos, my wife said that they tasted burn wood. I decided to test her. Bought Kenya Fancy dark roast from Peet's Coffee. I did not say her it was from Peet's. French Pressed and my wife said it was good and tasted great. Next day, french pressed El Salvador, and again she said it tasted like burn wood. What could be the reason? Is there common reason for this?

ciel-007
Whattodo, it's difficult to provide a helpful reply without knowing more about your raosting profile. However, my first guess would be that you may be over roasting.
Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

ginny
I would also say i was over roasted but you gave us ZERO information
on how you roasted it...

-g

whattodo
Sorry for missing information. I giving my profiles below.

Ethiophia Sidamo Decaf SWP.

Batch size is 185 gr. After roasting 163 gr.

3 min of warming at 300
5 min of drying at 300
4.5 min at 446
2 min at 464
1.15 min at 482
Until end of roasting at 455
External cooling with a tray cooled in freezer and several mist of water
About at 15.45 FC, stoped at 18.45
After cooling I put the beans in AirScape 32 oz. by Planetary Design container.

El Salvador Matalapa-Fana SWP Decaf
Batch size is 185 gr. After roasting 162 gr.
3 min of warming at 300
5 min of drying at 300
4.5 min at 446
1.5 min at 464
1.5 min at 482
464 until end of roast

16.35 FC, 19 end of roast.
External cooling with a tray cooled in freezer and several mist of water
After cooling I put the beans in AirScape 32 oz. by Planetary Design container.

ginny
what happen between the 300 and 446? I am not clear on what is going on here, the heat go up yes between those point so you are actually roasting longer...

-g

whattodo

ginny wrote:

what happen between the 300 and 446? I am not clear on what is going on here, the heat go up yes between those point so you are actually roasting longer...

-g

Ginny, didn't understand your question. May you elaborate a little bit more?

ginny
you mention x minutes at 300, then 446 at temp.

is not your machine slowly going up in temp, I cannot see that you can hold those temps for a certain amount of time.

I have no idea what you are using to roast with?

ginny

Randy G
15:45 to get to first crack? Then to 18:45 to stop? It sounds like you are roasting too slowly- A pro roaster once described that as "teasing."
TRUE STORY
The story was like this - A fellow was showing off his modified roaster and the professional roaster looked at the real-time graph display and told him, "You're teasing it."
"What?"
"You're teasing it- bringing it along too slowly."
"That's what I want."
The pro told him, "It's going to taste like balsa wood."
We cupped the coffee later, and it was like chewing on a balsawood glider toy.

I have been roasting for espresso and hitting a Full City (the first few clicks of second) at about 14:30 and ejecting shortly after that (like ten seconds after.)

Life's too short to drink bad coffee.

http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
whattodo
OK. I attached one of the roast logs. I believe this time it will be more clear.
whattodo attached the following image:
el_salvador_log.png

whattodo

Randy G wrote:

15:45 to get to first crack? Then to 18:45 to stop? It sounds like you are roasting too slowly- A pro roaster once described that as "teasing."
TRUE STORY
The story was like this - A fellow was showing off his modified roaster and the professional roaster looked at the real-time graph display and told him, "You're teasing it."
"What?"
"You're teasing it- bringing it along too slowly."
"That's what I want."
The pro told him, "It's going to taste like balsa wood."
We cupped the coffee later, and it was like chewing on a balsawood glider toy.

I have been roasting for espresso and hitting a Full City (the first few clicks of second) at about 14:30 and ejecting shortly after that (like ten seconds after.)

So I need to roast higher temp with shorten time?

ciel-007

whattodo wrote:

So I need to roast higher temp with shorten time?

That would be an excellent starting point.

Ciel
Ciel... seeking Heaven in my cup with ................................................................................................................. EXPOBAR Brewtus II - MAZZER Mini E - MAHLK�NIG Vario - GeneCafe - RAF-1 Extreme (Modified B-2 HOTTOP) - BellaTaiwan XJ-101

michele
When I first started with the GC, I tried similar profiles, and finally settled on something that works for me. Simple. Add beans, set to 482 and start. At first crack, lower temp to 456 and start timer. Watch beans at all times. First crack generally ends after 1:00 to 1:20 but some go longer. Stop anytime you want, after first crack is over, but I prefer just before onset of second crack. Use timer to measure till you hear or see second crack. That is about 4:00 with most beans for me on my GC. I will stop my roasts anywhere between end of first crack + 3:15 to end of first crack + 4:00. But always watch the bean...I may see something that inspires me to stop despite temp or time or history. I try to avoid more than a couple of pops of second crack, thus stopping at first crack + 4:00 is my longest roast. When you can get repeatable results you like, across different beanss, then start playing with the profile.

Just my 2 cents. I have 134 roasts = 67 pounds. I rarely roast less than 228-232 g

Michele
GC (red one!), Encore Baratza, Aeropress, Melitta dripper, Primula Stovetop, Yama, French press

michele
Forgot to mention after I got some repeatable results, I would play around with things, like dropping the temp after first crack... so I do not always do that. Sometimes I drop to to 464, sometimes I don't drop at all, depending on the bean.

Michele
GC (red one!), Encore Baratza, Aeropress, Melitta dripper, Primula Stovetop, Yama, French press

Barrie
I am not sure how much experience you have with the GC but attached is a "roasting basics" piece I wrote some time ago for someone who bought my GC. It may (or may not) be of interest?
Barrie attached the following file:
gene_caf_roasting_basics.7z [245.21kB / 270 Downloads]

Edited by Barrie on 05/24/2014 10:12 AM
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

Koffee Kosmo
Depending on bean origin
Aim to reach first crack in the area of 9 min to 14 min
And another 4 to 6 min to second crack once first crack finishes

Method
Pre heat your roaster at full heat for a few minutes
Add beans and let the heat rise steadily until first crack

Now this is in Celsius -
All beans have a set temperature band ( not roaster ambient heat ) that forces them to crack
That band is
First crack 195 C to 205 C
Second crack 218 C to 225 C

With a variance of + / - 2 C
Remember actual bean temperature not ambient roaster temperature

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosmo.blogspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
whattodo
Thanks for the great inputs. They helped me a lot.

Last sunday, I roasted 3 batches by taking into account your inputs.

Ethiopia Kebel Aricha:

1st batch: Batch size is 230 gr. After roast 197 gr.

300º F for 5 mins of drying, 482º F until FC + 1 min then 455º F until end.

FC at 12:19. FC ended at 13:40. Stopped at 14:30.

2 days after roasting and following days, all my friends liked the result.

2nd batch: Batch size is 230 gr. After roast 196 gr.

No drying phase, 482º F until FC + 1,15 min then 455º F until end.

FC at 10:29. FC ended at 12:00. Stopped at 13:30

It is also great. 1st and 2nd batches are identical from taste point of view.

Ethiopia Shebele Decaff

Batch size is 230 gr. After roast 208 gr.

No drying phase, 482º F for 9 min then 455º F until end. Stopped at 10:30.

I did not notice FC. The roasted beans are really hard. You can feel it during grinding. Smells a little bit green bean.

But the great news is my wife said that it tasted very good.

You are right Michele by saying "after I got some repeatable results,". It is really important. My first goal is now to have repeateble results. Then I will try different profiles.

Barrie
When you say "No drying phase" that is not strictly true. The temperature you are reading is that of the hot air leaving the GC container. When you put in the beans, they will be at room temperature and will take up calories from the hot container, particularly the divider plate. but also from the air flowing past them. So they then go through an increase from room temperature to whatever is their final temperature. At no stage are you seeing the bean temperature! Since they will have had a given moisture content to start with and will be "dry" at the end, they have indeed gone through a drying phase. You of course were unable to measure its length or the temperature range in which it occurred.
The fact that you held or did not hold the temperature at a given level at the start is not descriptive of any stage in roast, merely in the GC settings? Time to yellowing is perhaps the best index of the drying phase, which if too rapid gives unevenly dry beans.
Barrie (San Diego, CA)
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop 2K+., Artisan, Jura Capresso ENA 3 (i.e. espresso).

whattodo

Barrie wrote:

When you say "No drying phase" that is not strictly true.

What I meant that I did not use dedicated time for drying like 1st batch.

trueQness
whattodo,

With the profiles you used above, is the cupped result what you would expect? Did they taste like what they "should" taste like?

Also, do you know how fast your GC can heat up from ambient to 482 when empty? I am trying to determine what I need to change in my roast process since my GC is taking a little long to get to full temp. Thinking high preheat and then 482 to first crack...

Jump to Forum: