Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
02/23/2019 9:17 AM
Ethiopian natural Gesha today .. tasting it tomorrow.

snwcmpr
02/13/2019 4:49 AM
Thanks again Ginny.

snwcmpr
02/12/2019 3:29 AM
Good morning all. Just finished a few days with Yemen Red Harraz. We liked it.

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:05 AM
probe diameter

Husamka
02/11/2019 10:01 AM
probe dimension

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 5,824
Newest Member: blabbermouth
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
PRABHATH COFFEE WORKS - 10.00
John Despres (Scene... - 25.00
snwcmpr - 10.00
Ozo - 20.00
Josh Woodrow - 10.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Yemen Mocha Harazi Roasting
whattodo
I am almost new to roasting. I had roasted
Ethiophia Sidamo, and El Salvador Matalapa-Fana SWP Decaf before. End results were acceptable.

This time I tried to roast Yemen Mocha Harazi from roastmasters.com. Here are the results I had.

1st Experiment

300º F for 3 minutes of warming, 300º F for 5 minutes of drying ,437º F for 5,5 min, 455º F for 1,5 min, 482º F for 1,5 min, 455 º F until end of roast. FC at 16:00

The end result (taste and smell) was, even after couple days resting, terrible. Beans went to trash.

2nd Experiment

300º F for 5 minutes of drying , 446º F for 4,5 min, 464º F for 1,5 min, 482º F for 2,45 min, 464º F until end of roast. FC 12:45, SC 17:30

3 days after rest, oil patches on bean surface. General apperance and smell were better than 1st trial.

I prepared French Press. Taste was very flat and there was sth like green bean smell. I did not like it.

What could be wrong? Beans or the profile?

JETROASTER
Hello
My first instinct is to speed the whole thing up, but first;
What are you roasting with?
Are these a wet or dry process bean?

Cheers, -Scott

whattodo
freshbeans wrote:

Hello
My first instinct is to speed the whole thing up, but first;
What are you roasting with?
Are these a wet or dry process bean?

Cheers, -Scott

Thanks Scott.

I have Gene Cafe 101. The beans are dry processed.

JETROASTER
Not to worry. Some of the GC people will chime in.
Those sound like long roasts to me,(especially for a dry process) but I'm not a GC person.
Cheers, -Scott

snwcmpr
I cannot make a comment about roasting with a GC, but Yemen takes 10 days rest for me to like it. It can be quite flat if only rested a couple of days. (My experience, yours may be different)

Ken in NC
--------------
Backwoods Roaster
"I wish I could taste as well as I wish I could roast."

As Abraham Lincoln said "Do not trust everything you read on the internet".

Koffee Kosmo
Post Roast - Rest or degas times vary from 5 days to 20 days
Also I have observed that the lighter the toast the longer degas time a bean needs

As noted above - nearly all African area beans need a minimum of 10 days degas post roast

KK
I home roast and I like it
Blog - http://koffeekosm...gspot.com/
Bezzera Strega: Mazzer Robur Grinder: 5 Box hand grinders: Pullman Tamper Convex: (KKTO) Turbo Oven Home Roaster: CONA Glass Rod Syphon: Pyrex Brewer:

http://koffeekosmo.com.au
whattodo
Thanks for the support. Tomorrow, I will roast a bit more darker, and let it rest for 10 to 20 days.

John Despres
First crack in under 13 minutes is about par for the course in a GC. No worries there, It's pretty tough to speed things up with a Gene Cafe without causing problems elsewhere.

Nice pause after first crack, by the way. Kinda tough to do on a GC.

Rest those babies and you'll be delighted, I'm sure.

And have fun!

John
Respect the bean.
John Despres
Fresh Roast 8, Gene Cafe, JYTT 1k, Quest M3, Mazzer Mini, Technivorm, various size presses and many more brewers.

www.sceneitallproductions.com
whattodo
Today is tenth day of resting. It seems to me that now taste is better. I have also second batch of roasted beans. I plan to rest them at least 20 days. I will share the result with you.

whattodo
whattodo wrote:

Today is tenth day of resting. It seems to me that now taste is better. I have also second batch of roasted beans. I plan to rest them at least 20 days. I will share the result with you.

It seems that 20 day is too long for resting. At the end of 20 days, the beans became oily and tasted bitter.

gene
Just got in 5# Yemeni Harazi from Roastmasters few weeks ago and have done one roast on GC. They are now out of stock.

In roasting followed same general profile as Yemeni Sharasi and Yemeni Ishmalii in roasting. Roastmaster suggests Harazi at FC but further into second crack provides deeper tones. I wouldn't dream of taking it deeper. Any oil and its all sink shots.

Which reminds me. Years ago, in talking to my bud John Despres, mentioned something seemed to be missing from my shots.
"Well, how do you like to prepare your coffee?"
Prob 90% espresso.
"Sounds like you might like dry processed Yemeni's"

Boy was he ever correct. 10 pounds of Ishmalii and 20# of Sharasi later and I still can't get enough.
I do like Aeropress several times per week but would never use Yemenis for anything but espresso. Even then rarely use Yemenis for straight shots. Usually use them to blend for espresso's.

Here are two recent roasts results:

Harazi-Preheat using 300 and then 300 for 5 minutes and 462 the rest of the way til two minutes after first crack. At 80 degrees ambient GC was 456 at the 11th minute. First crack at 12:35, down to 451 at 14:40, cool at 15:35 and off at 16:15

Contrast with recent May 18 Yemen Sharasi:
70 degrees ambient
preheat and 300 til 5 min. Up to 462 and 446 at 11:00 First crack at 13:32, down to 444 at 14:45, cool at 15:40 and off at 16:20.
In retrospect should have been 467 at five minute mark with 70 degrees ambient.. 13:32 was too long for first crack.
Over 1000 roasts and I'm still logging and this is why. Lol

Resting fresh roasted Yemenis? For this application using on day three is good. But only 5G out of 17G shot. 10G after day 8 great.
Its all relative.

trueQness
You know, I have used my Gene Cafe for several years, on and off, with mostly "acceptable" results. I have been in contact with John as well, looking for ways to improve my roasts. I just roasted an Ethiopia Sidamo with a 5 minute preheat at 350, then 465 til 30 seconds into FC, drop to 441; end roast at 4 minutes after the onset of FC. Reached 465 at 9:45 and FC started at 10:30, dropped to 441 at 11:00, FC lasted for 2 minutes. The numbers, to me, look like I should get a pretty good tasting cup of coffee....

The beans ended up very uneven (maybe this is normal) and I tasted after a 2.5 day rest and it just tasted like roasty, and all flavors seemed to be masked and undetectable.. very little flavor. I know what this coffee is capable of, because I have a local roaster/coffee bar that served this in a simple pour over and it was very good. Mine isn't any where near that. I'm thinking that after a couple days rest this bean should be giving some good flavors -- just not sure what I'm doing wrong.

There was this one dry-processed Ethiopian that I roasted a couple years ago and it went unusually fast in the Gene and I got all sorts of berry flavors out of it. Outside of that one, most of the other coffees I've roasted taste similar to me: Flat.

I guess I'll keep trying.

Want to Help?
By donating you can ensure that HR will continue to be open for years to come. Expenses are 100% transparent and can be viewed publicly at all times. You can find more information on donations and why we request them by reading up on the forum topic here. Thank you.

Jump to Forum: