Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Shoutbox
You must login to post a message.

snwcmpr
· 04/08/2020 7:42 AM
daniboy... You will best get an answer if you post in the forum. And the reply will be available afterwards, also.

daniboy503
· 04/05/2020 10:37 PM
i need wiring modification for westbend poppery I that has AC fan with rotary dimmer and AC fan speed control switches Thank you!

allenb
OfflineAdmin
· 04/02/2020 4:50 AM
Morning Ed, I haven't done any green coffee hoarding yet but am hoping the supplies don't end up like the toilet paper isles!

snwcmpr
· 03/31/2020 2:53 PM
Hey Ed. Thanks. roar

homeroaster
· 03/31/2020 11:21 AM
Hey quarantined home roasters! I hope you have great coffee! If they have a run on coffee, I hope you're set with your great home roast! Find me on Facebook! Ed Needham

Users Online
Guests Online: 4

Members Online: 0

Total Members: 6,479
Newest Member: Megaomgchen
In Memory Of Ginny
Donations

Latest Donations
Anonymous - 5.00
Anonymous - 5.00
renatoa - 2.00
JitterzZ - 2.01
renatoa - 2.00

View Thread

Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Poppery II already replaced by Gene Cafe
Erst Kaffee
My first roasting has been with a Poppery II from Ebay. No modification and it has been fun and makes a pretty good coffee.

I love our local roasters at Has Beans in Chico California. Their great coffees inspired me to try home roasting.

After a month or two of roasting I'm realizing I am not getting the level of yumminess I want from what I'm getting with the Poppery II. I want more flavor development than is possible with its super quick roast time.

I just splurged on a Gene Roaster from Sweet Marias. I got a lot of information on this board that made my decision easy. Thank you to all who gave their advice and help. I couldn't have done so well deciding without you.woohoo
Edited by ginny on 03/27/2014 6:29 PM

ginny
We have a big Gene Cafe forum so I am sure you will find tons-o-stuff to try out.

The Gene is a great roaster and you should be able to develop many profile's with it; did you get a sample pack from Sweet Marias?

keep us posted on your progress and welcome to the forums...

ginny

beach

Erst Kaffee
I did order a sample pack and that is a great deal. I usually stick to one kind of coffee. The sample pack will widen our horizons. BBQ grill

ginny
Erst:

what kind of coffee do you stick with?

-g

Erst Kaffee
I have always loved the smell and flavors of a top shelf medium roasted Colombian. Also, I love the coffees in Germany that are Tschibo's.

That is why I'm looking forward to trying some new coffees. I'm pretty limited. I've tried other varieties, invariably dark roasts at really good coffee shops. I just don't care for dark roasts. Pretty much across the board. Look forward to roasting these new to me varieties and see what I think of them with a lighter than dark roast.

I may have mentioned it, but I like Mokka Pot coffee too. The Bialetti

What do you like? How are you preparing coffee?

Erst Kaffee
I'm the newest owner of a Gene Cafe Roaster from Sweet Maria's. BBQ grill I ordered the roaster after long and serious deliberation of my options, (upgrading from Poppery II). I got a lot of help making the decision thanks to members who generously post their experience and knowledge on this board. I thank you! South Coast ring a bell?

I generally am irked that most orders arriving by UPS ground to my home in California take a full week to get here. Pretty much everything I order from Ebay or Amazon or anything else comes from the Eastern U.S. of A.

For once, my location was a plus! Sweet Maria's and I are both in Northern California. I placed the order late Monday this week, and the Roaster was here today! Middle of Wednesday. woohoo

I have samples to try! I have my new red roaster! Here is to better coffee!

The Samples are from: Guatemala, Rwanda, Brazil, Colombia, Ethiopa
Edited by Erst Kaffee on 03/27/2014 12:17 AM
Bialetti Moka Pot, Aeropress, Gene Cafe Roaster, Hario Skerton Grinder as it came, and Kyocera CM-50 with Orphan Espresso bearing upgrade for medium and coarse grind, Orphan Espresso Pharos

Erst Kaffee
Ok, I'm a little slow getting to the unpacking of my Gene Cafe. I found the other 3 bags of coffee that come with the sample packs that are offered when one purchases the Gene Cafe Roaster from Sweet Maria's Coffee.

I got a total of 8 one pound packs of coffee from all over the world with my Gene Cafe Roaster from Sweet Maria's.

The coffee varieties are as follows:
Ethiopia Kaffa - Michiti Coop
Sumatra Onan Ganjang Cultivar
El Salvador Finca Matalapa Bourbon
Colombia Narino Buesaco
Guatemala Hueheutenango - Finca Rosma
Brazil Fazenda do Serrado PN Yellow Bourbon
Rwanda Karenge Coffee Villages
Ethiopia Anfilo-Shebe - Shebelo Fana Coop

The descriptions of the flavors are driving me crazy and I haven't even tasted any of them. Ethiopa Kaffa has notes of Marzipan? Guatemala Huehuetenango has hints of of chocolate pudding? Sumatra Onan Ganjang is very syrupy with sarsparilla?

There is no need to tempt me with a good time. woohoo Good times are ahead!
Bialetti Moka Pot, Aeropress, Gene Cafe Roaster, Hario Skerton Grinder as it came, and Kyocera CM-50 with Orphan Espresso bearing upgrade for medium and coarse grind, Orphan Espresso Pharos

troposcuba
read through the Gene Cafe forums here. There is a ton of good advice on how to get the most out of it. I love mine and have been roasting on it for about 4 years now. Biggest bit of advice I have for you is to arrange some kind of external cooling setup. it is easy to do and cheap, and the result is that you will not end up having to guess at the roast level and how far your roast will coast if you cool in the GC.

Enjoy.
Sean

Erst Kaffee

troposcuba wrote:

read through the Gene Cafe forums here. There is a ton of good advice on how to get the most out of it. I love mine and have been roasting on it for about 4 years now. Biggest bit of advice I have for you is to arrange some kind of external cooling setup. it is easy to do and cheap, and the result is that you will not end up having to guess at the roast level and how far your roast will coast if you cool in the GC.

Enjoy.

Thank you for your help. I plan to roast in the garage because I've been roasting with the Poppery II in the garage already. Smoke and smell isn't an issue in the garage and roasting is kinda stinky for doing in the kitchen in my estimation of things.

Also, having been using the Poppery II I'm used to dumping the beans in colanders and switching between the metal ones I have until the beans cool. I plan to stop the Gene and do the same thing. I have no plans to guestimate the cooling factor time thingie in the total roast outcome. Too much work.

Looks like we are on the same page. Grin

Erst Kaffee
Had a bit of a rough first time out with the Gene Cafe Roaster. It is a learning curve. Not sure I got to second crack. More accurately, I'm thinking I didn't hear it.

Having been used to the Poppery II, I am able on that to hear both first and second cracks distinctly. I did catch 1st Crack on the Gene Cafe, and it started at 8 minutes.

I forced a stop around 12, but it took me a minute to take the glass container out of the roaster. I had an oven mitt on and I was clumsy. I'll get better with time.

Coming out of the glass there was smoke, not a lot, but there was smoke.

I did 335 for 6 minutes and 482 till 12 minutes.

I just need to practice. I'll improve with handling the Gene Cafe roaster.

ginny
Debra:

look to sight and smell until you get used to your Gene; you may not hear 2nd right off the bat...

new roaster, new look, feel and sounds coming at you.

the best advice I would offer right now is to simply enjoy the process and coffee you roast all of the nuance will come in time.

you can, up to a point, use some of the profiles though they will be different since your space. inside/outside temps will vary from those who posted the profiles.

I think we have some Gene Cafe profiles in the download section.

good luck and please keep us posted and please post any questions since as you know the only dumb one is the one you don't ask. never hesitate to ask some of our resident experts...

ginny

beach

Erst Kaffee

ginny wrote:

Debra:

look to sight and smell until you get used to your Gene; you may not hear 2nd right off the bat...

new roaster, new look, feel and sounds coming at you.

That sums it up! Roflmao

Having shelled out a good chunk of hard earned cash for my new red roaster I was breaking a sweat concerned I was breaking it a few times. After taking out the coffee with an emergency stop to cool it at the end of the roast, I remembered to put the empty glass chamber back in the roaster. I had turned the machine off (oh no!), and was remembering (hopefully correctly) needed to put the chamber in and run cool.

No surprise to me I was having trouble for some reason getting the chamber back in. I felt under the gun because I didn't want to drop the glass chamber, wanted to get it in without forcing it, and was basically as elegant as a moose ice skating working with this lovely roaster.

And it is an easy sturdy roaster. Leave it to me to feel panicky. Ah the nerves I get when I'm new at things. Nothing bad happened. I don't take meds for panic attacks, but maybe I should have had a drink to calm my nerves. Shock

Gotta say the roast that resulted from my first attempt looks great and smells better (on looking at it after a good night's sleep), and it's only 8 hours after roasting.

Rather than dive into the amazing sample packs from all over the coffee growing world that came from with the new Gene Cafe Roaster from Sweet Maria's, I consciously chose to stick to one of the 3 Colombians I've been using for this first roast with the Gene.

That way I can compare the difference of the Gene Roaster's results with the Poppery II I've been using.

I am trying to learn here after alllimb
Edited by Erst Kaffee on 03/28/2014 9:15 AM

ginny
Hi Debra:

this is the link to the downloads of Eddie Dove's Gene Cafe profiles:

http://forum.homeroasters.org/downloa...nload_id=9

you need to be logged in to get to and download the files.

-g
Edited by ginny on 03/28/2014 10:42 AM

Erst Kaffee

ginny wrote:

Hi Debra:

this is the link to the downloads of Eddie Dove's Gene Cafe profiles:

http://forum.homeroasters.org/downloa...nload_id=9

you need to be logged in to get to and download the files.

-g

Unbelievable. Wow. Ty.

Jump to Forum: